The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion Canons + Ion Missiles = SUPER WEAPONS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ion Canons + Ion Missiles = SUPER WEAPONS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Ion Canons + Ion Missiles = SUPER WEAPONS! Reply with quote

Ion weapons seems to be the harriest super weapons in the entire Star Wars history! If I had a choice between a fleet with ion weapons and a Death Star, I'd take the fleet!

In TESB, we see a planetary canon shoot to orbit and disable a Star Destroyer with just a few hits.

Why isn't every capital class vessel using these massive ion canons as their main weapons?

Now, in RO, we see a few Y-Wings launch ion missiles at a Star Destroyer and disable that!

Why doesn't every fighter have 75% of its weapons as either ion missiles or ion canons or both, with the remaining 25% left to normal turbo-lasers and proton torpedoes (for mopping up after you've disabled your target)?





What's the downside to ion weapons? Range? I think so.

OK, so have a flight of X-Wings protect a flight of Y-Wings using ion missiles. Boom. War over.

Every Star Wars space battle I've ever seen on screen shows fighters having no problem getting close to capital ships quickly.



So, what's the deal?

You want to protect a planet? Use a Planetary Shield, as shown in Rogue One, then have an Ion Launcher screen just over that.

When the enemy is disabled (which doesn't take long, from what I've seen in the movies), just send your fighters out to destroy all the floating, non-operative ships.



What am I missing here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11609
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion weapons often do a LOT less damage than their laser counterparts, for one thing. 2ndly, TILL we saw that shooting in Rogue one, there wasn't any CANON Info on ion missiles or bombs. Third on that ion defender, perhaps part of its design IS that it is similar to a "Planetary turbolaser" (as per the complete guide to weapons) in that it can only be used ON a planet...
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darklighter79
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering official rules for ion weapons, do you also allow ion torpedoes to ignore shields?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 531
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Considering official rules for ion weapons, do you also allow ion torpedoes to ignore shields?


I apply shields, but for Uncontrolled A_Wings I allow for no penalties when attacking a ship's bridge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11609
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Considering official rules for ion weapons, do you also allow ion torpedoes to ignore shields?


No. They are still imo a physical missile.
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0