The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion Canons + Ion Missiles = SUPER WEAPONS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ion Canons + Ion Missiles = SUPER WEAPONS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Ion Canons + Ion Missiles = SUPER WEAPONS! Reply with quote

Ion weapons seems to be the harriest super weapons in the entire Star Wars history! If I had a choice between a fleet with ion weapons and a Death Star, I'd take the fleet!

In TESB, we see a planetary canon shoot to orbit and disable a Star Destroyer with just a few hits.

Why isn't every capital class vessel using these massive ion canons as their main weapons?

Now, in RO, we see a few Y-Wings launch ion missiles at a Star Destroyer and disable that!

Why doesn't every fighter have 75% of its weapons as either ion missiles or ion canons or both, with the remaining 25% left to normal turbo-lasers and proton torpedoes (for mopping up after you've disabled your target)?

What's the downside to ion weapons? Range? I think so.

OK, so have a flight of X-Wings protect a flight of Y-Wings using ion missiles. Boom. War over.

Every Star Wars space battle I've ever seen on screen shows fighters having no problem getting close to capital ships quickly.

So, what's the deal?

You want to protect a planet? Use a Planetary Shield, as shown in Rogue One, then have an Ion Launcher screen just over that.

When the enemy is disabled (which doesn't take long, from what I've seen in the movies), just send your fighters out to destroy all the floating, non-operative ships.

What am I missing here?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion weapons often do a LOT less damage than their laser counterparts, for one thing. 2ndly, TILL we saw that shooting in Rogue one, there wasn't any CANON Info on ion missiles or bombs. Third on that ion defender, perhaps part of its design IS that it is similar to a "Planetary turbolaser" (as per the complete guide to weapons) in that it can only be used ON a planet...
Darklighter79
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering official rules for ion weapons, do you also allow ion torpedoes to ignore shields?
Mamatried
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Considering official rules for ion weapons, do you also allow ion torpedoes to ignore shields?

I apply shields, but for Uncontrolled A_Wings I allow for no penalties when attacking a ship's bridge
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

No. They are still imo a physical missile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: