The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

To live or Die...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> To live or Die... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: To live or Die... Reply with quote

OK. I am done going through the gamemaster, house rules and official rules sections. So it is now IMO time to start posting some of my own stuff.

One of the things i like to to, is post about situations that have either come up in game, or could come up, where a character (or the entire party) stand a chance at dying. And ask others, how they would handle that (those) situations...
My only request for this, is that you follow these 2 rules.
1) No dice fudging.
2) Any 'outside saves', must have a logical reason to happen (eg no mysterious stranger shows up out of no where, when the party are the only ones there besides the enemy type thing......

First one. Players in game have made their ship fully electrical, opting to remove the hydraulic back up for maneuvering thrusters on their old ship, as it was getting expensive keeping up with the repair cost on it (THEY CHOSE to remove it). Later in game, they decide to fight a quartet of imperial customs frigates modified for ship capture (ions vice turbo lasers). When they notice they are getting system after system shut down from ions, they decide to flee into an asteroid field.... The round before hitting it, the pilot opts NOT TO DOGE a combined pair of shots from all 4 opponent ships, which hits, and fully shuts their ship down (main power was one of the systems affected along with main drive, thrusters and repulsors)..
They wished to get a piloting roll to maneuver out the way of the asteroids. As gm i ruled they could not for..
a) their ship was dead in the water, even the smuggler would know IN CHARACTER there would be no chance to maneuver as nothing had power to it.
b) with them shifting their back up thrusters to electrical, they removed any chance of using the thrusters.......

Next: Party on a ship, 2 crew in the turrets, 1 in engineering, 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot. The last guy, mans the nav comp/sensor station. They are in hot pursuit of a fleeing pirate ship who has taken a informant prisoner. The player on the nav/comp says he is programming the sensors to link to the nav comp, so when they detect the enemies ship going into hyperspace, it will start to project a course. Then he emphatically states, the moment the Nav comp bleeps, indicating it has a course, he will pull the lever. I asked him 4 times to make exactly sure he was doing that, WITHOUT ANY CHECKS on the course. Dude spends a FP, and rolls his 6d (3d normally) in Astrogation, getting all 1's. What would you say happens.

Next: 1 Jedi gets caught in the blast of a gloop grenade. His friend tries to run by, so he does not get shot, screws up and falls hands first into the gloop. Jedi caught, says he will move his hand to his lightsaber and activate it so he can cut himself out. I explain he is stuck, like a web spell in AD&D, and so cannot reach the saber. He says to sith with it, activates TK to turn it on.. For note it is in a under armpit hidden sling/pouch pointed UP!!!
The other guy, spends a FP to double his strength from 2d+2 to 5d+1 (rounding from 4d+4), and gets all 1's on his attempt to break free form the glue...........

Next: Ship is in hyperspace when the pc's realize the circuitry to disable the Hyperdrive (and therefore bring the ship out of hyperspace) is busted. So one kicks on his lightsaber and hacks at the Hyperdrive... What happens????

Next: Players are chasing, say a bounty hunter, who has captured one of their members. They get into space, and are slowly catching up. He then goes into an asteroid field. A little later, the players are within shooting distance, but are not hitting, so he decides to head towards one of the larger asteroids to try to get them off his tail.
AT this time, the players ship is 4 rounds away from the asteroid, and they are going flat out (so is the bounty hunter). Their first 2 rounds worth of piloting rolls are less than the target number, but not by much (say 3-4 each time), while the third roll is a complete BOMB OUT (eg all 1's on the dice).

Next: Players are all in a freighter/luxury yacht. Fighting against some baddies in fighters, when 3 hits later (same round) they SHOULD BE destroyed by the rolls of the die. No one is anywhere near the escape pods, and there is only 1 anyway (4 person). There are 7 in total in the ship. How would you allow some to survive.

The last 2 are from modules that are in the sparks universe….
If you have not played these, I will be giving out a little info that MIGHT be ‘spoilers’, but I sense you are one to ignore that stuff..

Next. The Zurrog, capture the party, and challenge them to fight (these are a race of warriors, who value honor, commitment, skill etc). When they capture the party, they issue challenges to them (or wait for the party to issue a challenge). Part of their ‘challenge’ is they accept any challenge, that shows (to them), the skill/honor /endurance/smarts etc of a true warrior. Whether combat or otherwise…
Now if it does get to combat, they match action for action, FP/CP for FP/CP. He who makes the challenge (if combat) picks the victory conditions, whom is challenged picks the weapons or lack there of.
Now Someone in the party says they wait to be challenged, and gets one issued to the death. 3-4 rounds of combat later, they are lying at that Zurrog’s feet, incap… Other than having him break from his word, how can that pc NOT get killed?
On a linked note, lets say, 3 of the party issue (or were issued) ‘to the death’ challenges. All loose. 2 others issue their challenges and also loose. They have only 1 person left, but need 2 wins to ‘win’. Other than just giving it to them, how can they avoid their fate (and NO IT IS NOT all of them die!)

And lastly. The party infiltrate an Imperial outpost. In it, are around 200+ troops. If the party get in, but are discovered, it takes a few rounds (I think I put it at 2 rounds for the alert to be fully sounded, and 5 for the base to be fully mobilized against them). The base commander is under orders to take no prisoners.
Say the party STAY, even against those odds. Without having the commander (or his underlings) disobey orders, how can they survive?????

I will give it a few days, and for those which HAVE happened, i will post how i handled it..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Garhkal,
you have descibe some hot situations for your players.
Here is what I think of these situations :
Using force point and failling to the roll dice can be assumed as the "fate" of the PC. If you save every time your PC, the players will take more and more risks.

For space dogfights, maybe you can give an advise to the PC who use the sensor : Scan the enemy vessels to aproximatively know what weapon it has. If the players know what is the firepower (not the skills) of their ennemy, they will probably avoid to fight. You don't have to try to save foulish guys who fight 4 imperial frigates with an old freighter. If they choose to fight, you can make a surprised figure and ask them "really ? you want to do that ?". If they think with muscles instead of with their brain... May the force be with them Smile

Sometime you can request a forcewill roll to avoid stupid or suicidal acts.
If you have a Jedi, ask him a jedi lore roll (there is other way to win...).

Inform your players that if the PC skills are only blaster and dodge they will not have a long life Smile

For the astrogation roll : depend of the difficulty you have chosen for the jump. If it is only a "bad luck" and during the game the players have well played, I suggest a wrong destination or an hyperdrive failure, the ship don't jump ! Hyperdrive needs a repair (medium difficulty).

For the jedi stickly with glue : making a bad roll don't mean completely fail on doing something... The caracter who spend 1 FP will make more time to success (maybe 10 mins instead of 2 rounds).

What happen if you destroy the hyperdrive with a lightsaber during hyperspace jump ? first : the hyperdrive explode, killing the jedi (I can't accept that a jedi play with all the party member life because s/he want to play with his toy) if you are kind, you can only neutralize him and destroy the LS. Second : the ship can return in the normal space between 2 systems and the crew can use the hyperdrive backup if there is one aboard (can the ship send an S.O.S. ?) or fall in outerspace.

Chasing a bounty hunter : what the bounty hunter want to do ? fleeing ? if yes s/he succesfully make a distance between the party ship. If s/he want to fight, the party should look at their 6 !

invading an imperial outpost with 200 troopers !!! nice idea for the weekend... What was the script of the scenario ? what have you planned if they were discovered ? just a fight off 200 stormtroopers vs 6 PC ? You have also to plan this kind of situation. If the officers think no merci for these alien scrums, I only see one possibility : all party members will be killed. Is it what you want ? No Twisted Evil then change "no merci for alien scrums" to "surrender or die!". One Rebel agent is in the place and during the shipping of the party to a prison ship, the shuttle is attacked by privateers and the party is liberated. Give few caracter points this time because the party fails to infiltrate the imperial base.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first advice is: GET SOME NEW DICE ! Yours seem to be rottin' bad!

Secondly: Kill those players, again and again. Maim them, imprision them. It's the only way they'll learn not to act prematurely and foolishly. Hacking at an active hyperdrive: bad idea. Going at it with 4 frigates: bad idea. Activating a saber under your armpit: bad idea.

Only through pain, will they learn.....
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok after that jedi activates his LS under his arm, the other player gets to beat him with it...

second, if they're going at it with FOUR custom frigates, they should just all get in the escape pod... and hope they dont decide to shoot the pod...

you have some -really- daring Players... kill them a few times... then that'll get out of their head to even try that kind of stuff..

and invading the trooper camp... America got their butts handed to them in korea for that very reason (yes im american)
the Koreans were using guerilla tactics, yea 6 guys could easily take out 200, use your cover, stay hidden, if you pick them off from the back, the guys in the front dont realize untill it's too late... >_>...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First one. Players in game have made their ship fully electrical, opting to remove the hydraulic back up for maneuvering thrusters on their old ship, as it was getting expensive keeping up with the repair cost on it (THEY CHOSE to remove it). Later in game, they decide to fight a quartet of imperial customs frigates modified for ship capture (ions vice turbo lasers). When they notice they are getting system after system shut down from ions, they decide to flee into an asteroid field.... The round before hitting it, the pilot opts NOT TO DOGE a combined pair of shots from all 4 opponent ships, which hits, and fully shuts their ship down (main power was one of the systems affected along with main drive, thrusters and repulsors)..
They wished to get a piloting roll to maneuver out the way of the asteroids. As gm i ruled they could not for..
a) their ship was dead in the water, even the smuggler would know IN CHARACTER there would be no chance to maneuver as nothing had power to it.
b) with them shifting their back up thrusters to electrical, they removed any chance of using the thrusters.......

I would give the players a few minutes to come up with a plan as the frigates were closing in, then I'd see how what happened next with the boarding parties turned out.

Quote:
Next: Party on a ship, 2 crew in the turrets, 1 in engineering, 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot. The last guy, mans the nav comp/sensor station. They are in hot pursuit of a fleeing pirate ship who has taken a informant prisoner. The player on the nav/comp says he is programming the sensors to link to the nav comp, so when they detect the enemies ship going into hyperspace, it will start to project a course. Then he emphatically states, the moment the Nav comp bleeps, indicating it has a course, he will pull the lever. I asked him 4 times to make exactly sure he was doing that, WITHOUT ANY CHECKS on the course. Dude spends a FP, and rolls his 6d (3d normally) in Astrogation, getting all 1's. What would you say happens.

He loses the pirate ship. Whether it's he makes the jump elsewhere, or perhaps the hyperdrive computer crashes. Maybe the hyperdrive itself malfunctions. He gets some sort of error on the screen about "invalid coordinates"

Quote:
Next: 1 Jedi gets caught in the blast of a gloop grenade. His friend tries to run by, so he does not get shot, screws up and falls hands first into the gloop. Jedi caught, says he will move his hand to his lightsaber and activate it so he can cut himself out. I explain he is stuck, like a web spell in AD&D, and so cannot reach the saber. He says to sith with it, activates TK to turn it on.. For note it is in a under armpit hidden sling/pouch pointed UP!!!
The other guy, spends a FP to double his strength from 2d+2 to 5d+1 (rounding from 4d+4), and gets all 1's on his attempt to break free form the glue...........

Depending on the Alter dice of the jedi... I might have him grab control of it and twirl it around before it's activated. And as for the guy who is trying to force his way out of the glue... Maybe he's stretching away from the jedi (while still stuck), making room for the jedi who may or may not succeed in slicing away at the glop.

Quote:
Next: Ship is in hyperspace when the pc's realize the circuitry to disable the Hyperdrive (and therefore bring the ship out of hyperspace) is busted. So one kicks on his lightsaber and hacks at the Hyperdrive... What happens????

I would definately re-think letting that player play a jedi. Now, not much info is given on how many people are on said ship, aka. NPCs... even if none are known to the players, one could come out of hiding to tackle the insane jedi, and commence into a session of yelling at the crazy idiot for wanting to kill everyone on board. (Hyperdrives are incredibly volatile, and definately would leak radiation all over the ship, if not completely destroy the ship itself... at least that's how familliar I am with hyperdrives)

Quote:
Next: Players are chasing, say a bounty hunter, who has captured one of their members. They get into space, and are slowly catching up. He then goes into an asteroid field. A little later, the players are within shooting distance, but are not hitting, so he decides to head towards one of the larger asteroids to try to get them off his tail.
AT this time, the players ship is 4 rounds away from the asteroid, and they are going flat out (so is the bounty hunter). Their first 2 rounds worth of piloting rolls are less than the target number, but not by much (say 3-4 each time), while the third roll is a complete BOMB OUT (eg all 1's on the dice).

The bounty hunter obviously is trying to escape. I would let him... and thus would begin the start of the search for their friend.

Quote:
Next: Players are all in a freighter/luxury yacht. Fighting against some baddies in fighters, when 3 hits later (same round) they SHOULD BE destroyed by the rolls of the die. No one is anywhere near the escape pods, and there is only 1 anyway (4 person). There are 7 in total in the ship. How would you allow some to survive.

I would start describing the scene... if people decided to start running, depending on whether I had schematics for the ship or not, I would see who reaches the escape pod first. But depending on whether they're in the middle of nowhere or near a planet. Whoever makes it on the escape pod is guaranteed to survive. And those that don't, may or may not... but they definately wont be happy about those who left them there to die. May come back as villians (or just simply against the people who left em, not evil).

As for the last two.

The player that is left, should decide what he's best at, and what he has the most chance of doing. If he's a hell of a shot, he could very well challange to the first hit on the other using his blaster. (This is taking it from a Star wars approach, considering I'm not familliar with sparks) Depending on the level of technilogical familliarity of the race. They may have never even seen a blaster before. So he would definately be at an advantage. And if they're strong, they wont even have to die. Just be shot. Which would then leave him victorious.

And the last scenario, I've run many infiltrations. Depending on the race of the infiltrators. They may be able to procure enemy uniforms and armor, making their detection less likely, and increasing chance of them successfully completeing their mission.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks, what exactly is "Sometime you can request a forcewill roll to avoid stupid or suicidal acts. "
Is that forcewill a skill of your own?

Not to sound argumentative, but "Second : the ship can return in the normal space between 2 systems and the crew can use the hyperdrive backup if there is one aboard (can the ship send an S.O.S. ?) or fall in outerspace. "
In the novels, and other sources, it does state, that without a working hyperdrive the ship cannot exit hyperspace. So how would they with theirs destroyed??

Quote:
What was the script of the scenario ? what have you planned if they were discovered ?

I will pm you with more on this, as i do not wish to give out too much.

Quote:
The bounty hunter obviously is trying to escape. I would let him... and thus would begin the start of the search for their friend.

Crell, that still does not address the situation, of the pcs in a ship about to crash into an asteroid...

Quote:
Which would then leave him victorious.

True, but his one victory still is 1 short of the 2 (or more) minimum for the group. And as all the others have gone, what are we to do??? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And the last scenario, I've run many infiltrations. Depending on the race of the infiltrators. They may be able to procure enemy uniforms and armor, making their detection less likely, and increasing chance of them successfully completeing their mission.

Maybe you misunderstood the question. They have already BEEN discovered. The base is starting to mobilize against them, and they decide to stand their ground against upwards of 180 troops.... How will they survive???
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garhkal,
Forcewill don't exist Smile I would speak about Willpower (knowledge skill) :
difficulty depend of the action that will be taken. Adjust in function of cultural believe (Jedi lore etc...), fear to be hurt, knowledge (repair skills...), instant feeling etc... Don't use that only to stop players in doing stupid thinks, but also to had role play : when Han Solo decided to go into the asteroid field with the millenium falcon, C3PO didn't agree. That makes a small discussion with other caracters Smile

Actually, destroying the hyperdrive during a jump is definitively a bad idea. My two propositions was to avoid you to say to your party members: what about roll new caracters ? Smile
In an other hand, if the ship have a backup hyperdrive, when the main goes up, you can imagine (hehe you are the director ^ ^) that the backup hyperdrive is automaticaly activated and make the ship to leave hyperspace.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the back up, possibily being automaticaly activated and thus allowing them to exit hyperspace...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept this challenge for what it is. Here are my answers.

Quote:

They can survive but they will be captured. The players' ship is going to hit an asteroid, plain and simple. Roll for collision damage, the ship is not just knocked out but now a bit worse for wear. Make it a "soft" asteroid, carbon and granite dust. Player's roll stamina to keep from getting knocked out. Anyone concious will notice the hull breach (no hull breach if all players knocked out) and has to save the lives of the fallen. The Imperial Frigates than stop by to pick up the players.

Quote:

That bad of a failure, Hyperdrive cuts out. That's what it says in the rules. The Nav Computer is still holding possible coordinates for the target's destination, so he get's one more try at Astrogation.

Quote:

He loses the arm. Plain and simple. Now he just needs to use TK to maneuver the saber around to free himself. The non-Jedi who got stuck can either try again, or wait for the jedi to free him.
I'd remind the Jedi of where his Saber is, since before he can use TK on it he would feel it with the force. So with that warning, if he doesn't use TK to move the saber first, dang he is dumb.

Quote:

A Hyperdrive is not anywhere near as volatile as most people seem to beleive. While there would be a minor detonation that could harm the person destroying the drive (it is still channeling very large amounts of energy) nothing too serious would result. The ship would than simply drop out of hyper-space in a random spot somewhere awfully short of it's intended destination, or somewhere else, depending upon when and how they discovered the malfunction. The players should than check the controls of the Backup Hyperdrive (every ship has one) and see if it is in the same condition. No matter what, their courses of action involve the distress beacon, backup hyperdrive, and any nearby ships they can hope to hail.
Damage from a destroyed HD depends upon how big it is, what kind.

Quote:

All that really matters is the final roll against that asteroid. A complete failure on pilot causes them to lose control of the ship. If they regain control, they can still make the attempt at the dodge against the asteroid. If they do not gain control, the GM rolls for wether or not they hit the asteroid, or spun out of control in another direction and merely lose pace with the Hunter's ship.

Quote:

There are many diffrent "destroyed" results. And escape pods can cram in double capacity, even if there isn't as much food, air, or places for them to sit. There are a myriad of ways they can survive this one, why pick one? I would either let them wait for rescue or capture in their dead ship, or let them all try and make a break for it in their escape pod, and have them rough it in the cramped conditions until they find help, or are woefully captured anyway.

Quote:
Next. The Zurrog, capture the party, and challenge them to fight (these are a race of warriors, who value honor, commitment, skill etc). When they capture the party, they issue challenges to them (or wait for the party to issue a challenge). Part of their ‘challenge’ is they accept any challenge, that shows (to them), the skill/honor /endurance/smarts etc of a true warrior. Whether combat or otherwise…
Now if it does get to combat, they match action for action, FP/CP for FP/CP. He who makes the challenge (if combat) picks the victory conditions, whom is challenged picks the weapons or lack there of.
Now Someone in the party says they wait to be challenged, and gets one issued to the death. 3-4 rounds of combat later, they are lying at that Zurrog’s feet, incap… Other than having him break from his word, how can that pc NOT get killed?
On a linked note, lets say, 3 of the party issue (or were issued) ‘to the death’ challenges. All loose. 2 others issue their challenges and also loose. They have only 1 person left, but need 2 wins to ‘win’. Other than just giving it to them, how can they avoid their fate (and NO IT IS NOT all of them die!)

Ok, honestly, the player's chose Mortal Kombat, they get the fatality. The only way I can think of to have them survive is if a Zurog elder says something along the lines of "They are not Zurog, they are not bound by this tradition." And have the Zurog elder give the players a very stern talking to about their foolish decision to choose to kill Zurog, when that will not free them from capture. Than let their imprisonment continue normally with the dramatic escape attempt.
Having the players used as practice dummies during their imprisonment sounds fun though.

Quote:
And lastly. The party infiltrate an Imperial outpost. In it, are around 200+ troops. If the party get in, but are discovered, it takes a few rounds (I think I put it at 2 rounds for the alert to be fully sounded, and 5 for the base to be fully mobilized against them). The base commander is under orders to take no prisoners.
Say the party STAY, even against those odds. Without having the commander (or his underlings) disobey orders, how can they survive?????

Ok, they need to get to a choke point, and hold the enemy off there. Or fight their way out. It is clearly going to be an endurance test, and there only equalizing factor is that the troopers can never all fight them at once, 6 to 12 in the corridors max. The rest of how they can survive is up to the players.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are many diffrent "destroyed" results.

Perhaps i should have clarified that one. Severly damaged, roll of 6 indicates that the ship is destroyed and spends 1d6 rounds breaking up. THey roll only 1 round...

Quote:
The only way I can think of to have them survive is if a Zurog elder says something along the lines of "They are not Zurog, they are not bound by this tradition." And have the Zurog elder give the players a very stern talking to about their foolish decision to choose to kill Zurog, when that will not free them from capture. Than let their imprisonment continue normally with the dramatic escape attempt.
Having the players used as practice dummies during their imprisonment sounds fun though.

Interesting suggestion, especially the 'practice dummies' part! Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

Quote:
Ok, they need to get to a choke point, and hold the enemy off there. Or fight their way out. It is clearly going to be an endurance test, and there only equalizing factor is that the troopers can never all fight them at once, 6 to 12 in the corridors max. The rest of how they can survive is up to the players.

Again, perhaps a little clarification is in order. They are outside... so there is no real choke points available, though that is a good suggestion for if they get caught INSIDE....
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if they have the one round to escape result, than crammed into the escape pod they go.

Glad you like the idea for the character's imprisonment. Very Happy

And for the base... they are outside? Geez, hide, sneak, run. I honestly don't see the party surviving in a straight fight like that.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I will really comment on is the situation with the jedi stuck in the glop. First, I woul dprobably give the Jedi a Perception or Knowledge check to see if the character remembers that the Lightsaber was pointed upwards, even if the players had forgotten. Failing that, or if you do not feel that generous, then when the lightsaber is activated it would undoubtedly scissor the Jedi's arm off at the shoulder (roll damage normally). On the brightside, even though the Jedi was now disarmed, I might be nice enough at this point to say that, since the other player DID burn a force point, he was able to get one arm free, and the Jedi's severed arm, and lightsaber, are just within reach Twisted Evil As for the Jedi, pat him on the back, and say with as straight a face as possible, "well, there's always prothsetics."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Bean spillage time...(well for the ones that have come up).

Quote:

My ruling.. The characters ship got a massive power drop as the Hyperdrive went kaput, and tore a hole in the engineering compartment. They had to flee back to the planet, then ejected while the ship crashed. Only 1 fatality (the guy who pulled the lever, flubbed 2 consecutive strength checks from falling), and their ship was toasted.

Quote:

My ruling: The lightsaber guy lopped his arm off, and lapsed into unconsciousness, while the other guy managed to rip himself free, but without any skin on his hands, and also dislocated his elbows.

Quote:

I gave them the final round before hitting it, to try and shoot it apart. But unfortunatly, they only used one gun (and it was an ion turret).... ship hits, and gets severly damaged (last pilot roll was close to a bomb out being a 16)... They limped back to civilisation, and had to scrap the ship...

Quote:

Well the first part of it has not transpired, no one has issued (or been issued) a death challenge (YET! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ). As to the second, i had each person give up something cherished, like their trusty modified weapons. Heck one person gave over his trigger finger, another gave over his lightsaber, and 2 others gave over medals. One even gave his word that he would come back to them to learn their ways for 1 year....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Bringing this back to light... With a few more situations (none yet happened)..

1) Party are hunting an assassin, and fall into one of his traps. This trap just happens to be a thermal detonator. say 3 of the 7 characters drop to MW, 2 to dead, and the last 2 to Knocked out (did well on their rolls)...
Being that someone at MW rolls every round for 13 rounds total until they are dead (on the 2d6), and unconscious characters remain that way for 2d MINUTES (unless jedi with remain conscious) there is no one who can save them. And unless you have the bad guy just walk away, he WILL most likely come back to where they are, and check up on the party to 'finish off' any remaining characters...

2) Party have just got done making a raid on an imperial bank / payroll ship. The imperials are sending all they currently have against tthem (4 squadrons total), when the pc's ship gets hit by a pair of cap scale ion cannons totally shutting the ship down (just before they hit atmosphere). Being they will fall, and therefore crash, with NO POWER, how can they survive the fall???
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(just before they hit atmosphere). Being they will fall, and therefore crash, with NO POWER, how can they survive the fall???

The ship could be going fast enough that it skips off the atmosphere, (which would probably depend on the angle of descent) thus giving them some extra time to get power restored, or captured, or whatever. I don't if the ion cannons were ground-based (I'm assuming so, since you said all the Imps had on hand was 4 squadrons, which indicates fighters, not cap ships.) The players' ship could either be bounced far enough so as to escape planetary gravity, or it could be locked in a slowly decaying orbit that gives them time to restore power, hail for help, etc. The likelihood of being captured is high, especially if the Imps have any capital ships in relatively close proximity. Either that, or they might be able to scrounge up a ship on the planet below with which to board the players' vessel. However, with such a bounce you might have to roll stamina to see if they're knocked out or not. The point is they could survive this way, which is what you asked for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: