The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules that improve on 1st editions simplicity and fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules that improve on 1st editions simplicity and fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcarhat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Rules that improve on 1st editions simplicity and fun Reply with quote

Hey folks, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the 30th anniversary edition from FFG.

1st edition was definitely my favorite (it was just so fast and easy to play). And I really REALLY hated the idea of advanced and specalist skills in future editions. I found those to big down the game and I enjoyed the fewer, but broader range of skills

but I also remember being a bit dissatisfied with some rules so I ended up cherry picking some of my favorites from later editions.

Specifically how damage is dealt a the wild die.

I never liked how damage was calculated in 1st edition (greater but less than 2x str roll etc etc) and found that high strength characters were VERY hard to injure.

2.5 and REUP handled it much better (any damage roll that beats the targets str roll by 0-3 stuns, 4-8 wounds (1-3 in REUP actually)).

I also lieked the wild die mostly because the narrative system was the only thing I enjoyed about FFG interpretation of the the game. I actually have TWO wild dice in all my games, one good and one bad. which leads to fairly interesting rolls;

You succeed

You succeed and something unexpectedly good happens

You succeed and something unexpectedly bad happens

You succeed and something unexpectedly bad and good happens

(then the same for failures)

The last one is a delightful cluster***k.

Are there any rules from later editions (or even some.homebrew ones) that you feel improves on the fast paced 1ed formula?
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit!
Registration & Log-In Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: