The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Billy Dee Williams to return for Episode IX?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Billy Dee Williams to return for Episode IX? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Billy Dee Williams to return for Episode IX? Reply with quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

I still can't find an official source on this yet, but everyone is running with this story. FYI just in case you haven't heard this trending rumor.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he IS one of the few remaining OT characters yet to make an appearance in the new trilogy.. So i am actually hoping that rumor is true.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vuffi Raa: "How should I call you, sir?"
Lando: "Not too loudly, Vuffi Raa, and no later than nine-hundred in the morning."

How can you NOT have the original smooth criminal back for an encore?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping this is true. Storywise, it just wouldn't make sense for Han's best friend (after best-friend-in-law Luke, of course) to not be in the story after Han died in TFA. People and fans everywhere would be wondering "wait, how is Lando going to react after finding out that Han is dead by his own son's hand?" It would be narratively negligent to leave that unresolved.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, he IS one of the few remaining OT characters yet to make an appearance in the new trilogy.. So i am actually hoping that rumor is true.

Pel wrote:
How can you NOT have the original smooth criminal back for an encore?

Sutehp wrote:
I'm hoping this is true. Storywise, it just wouldn't make sense for Han's best friend (after best-friend-in-law Luke, of course) to not be in the story after Han died in TFA. People and fans everywhere would be wondering "wait, how is Lando going to react after finding out that Han is dead by his own son's hand?" It would be narratively negligent to leave that unresolved.

I do agree, but I was disappointed that Lando didn't make an appearance in TFA and again in TLJ. JJA and RJ both just used the excuse of 'There wasn't any place in the story for him.' Zahn used a similar excuse for not putting Artoo and Threepio in the Allegiance novel, 'There wasn't anything for them to do in the story.' A good writer will write them into the story. Successful professional writers are just being lazy. Now for Episode IX its no Han, Luke at most a Force ghost, and no Carrie Fisher - You must find a way to Lando in the story! No excuses!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost don't want him to come back and this is my reasoning why.

TFA - Han dies.
TLJ - Luke dies.
Carrie Fisher not back because she actually died.
Episode IX - Who dies? Lando.

If he comes back the trend is to kill him. I don't want him to die!!!! Crying or Very sad
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that being said I want to see a Lando movie now since seeing Solo. It can open or close with Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams talking about their escapades. Old men sitting playing Sa-back. Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReverendKeaton wrote:
But that being said I want to see a Lando movie now since seeing Solo. It can open or close with Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams talking about their escapades. Old men sitting playing Sa-back. Laughing

That would be a nice scene, but I said my goodbye to Harrison Ford playing Han in Star Wars with TFA. Bringing him back even for a flashback would be playing with my emotions. Not to mention he was always older than the character but it really showed in TFA. Having an even older Harrison Ford play him in a flashback would really be stretching credulity. I'd love for young Han and Lando to be back in a new film, but Solo not quite grossing $400 million may put a damper on sequel plans.

ReverendKeaton wrote:

TFA - Han dies.
TLJ - Luke dies.

If he comes back the trend is to kill him. I don't want him to die!!!! Crying or Very sad

I've heard this from fans a lot. But Han being the Ben Kenobi of TFA was perfect, and Harrison Ford only wanted to come back for Star Wars if they killed Han off. Luke's death was expected in this trilogy, but I admit I was expecting it to happen in Episode IX.

I don't think they were ever planing on killing Leia off, and they might still not do it (Leia could be rallying Resistance support around the galaxy). I can't imagine brining Lando back just to kill him. There just doesn't seem to be any purpose in that. But if they do kill Lando, it better be epic!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True the TFA did give Han closure. Now young Han and Lando are definitely a pair I would go see in a new movie. I am hoping the anthology movies won't stall because of what happened with Solo. I think poor planning as far as the release date really was the culprit. Too close to TLJ for fans to get really geared up and in the middle of the superhero summer.

As far as TLJ I figured Luke would die but I wasn't real happy with how it happened, my opinion of course. But I also thought that after Carrie Fisher died that she wouldn't have survived the movie. Then "Mary Poppins" occurred. I went from the same feeling I had when Han died to what the hell did I just watch? I wish they would have let her go and kept Ackbar and Holdo alive. Laura Dern is such a great actress she could have been a strong rallying point for the Resistance/Rebellion.

I am wondering where the whole thing goes from here. If they do bring Billy Dee back and kill off his character it better be massively epic. He is one of my all time favorite characters an I would love to see him survive the next movie.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReverendKeaton wrote:

TFA - Han dies.
TLJ - Luke dies.

That is true, but they also then would have to kill of R2, 3p0 AND chewie as well, to kill of those from the original trilogy..
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That is true, but they also then would have to kill of R2, 3p0 AND chewie as well, to kill of those from the original trilogy..

If Rian Johnson was still at the helm I would think that possible. With JJ Abrams I am less concerned that they would kill those three. But anything is possible. I guess another year and a half we will know.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I don't think they were ever planing on killing Leia off, and they might still not do it (Leia could be rallying Resistance support around the galaxy). I can't imagine brining Lando back just to kill him. There just doesn't seem to be any purpose in that. But if they do kill Lando, it better be epic!

If what I've read is true, they're not. They aren't being too explicit with what they're planning on doing story wise, but they're planning on using unused footage from TLJ they shot with Fisher, and using it in Episode IX to show that she is still with the resistance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:

If what I've read is true, they're not. They aren't being too explicit with what they're planning on doing story wise, but they're planning on using unused footage from TLJ they shot with Fisher, and using it in Episode IX to show that she is still with the resistance.

That is good to know.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie Fisher will appear in Ep. IX in used footage from Last Jedi. I imagine they'll kill her off and hopefully that will satisfy the Ben Kenobi Rule and let Lando live.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prediction: Lando is who Maz meant when she sent them for an expert code-breaker.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: