The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ever have a player "rage quit" a game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Ever have a player "rage quit" a game?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Ever have a player "rage quit" a game? Reply with quote

Wow. A guy i had in my ADND group, joined it to start it off, then 'faded into the backround' mid last year. a few mo back, i asked if he'd be able to rejoin the group, just till a few new folks came in (because we were down to 2 regular players after we had 3 move out of state). After Yesterday's session, where one of the 2 characters he was running, got magically held in combat, and the other was rolling like crud to hit, he seemed to have a sort of "Grrr" moment after the game was called for the night.
THEN later in the evening, i got an email from him, raging on about how USELESS his two characters are (even though one of them is tied for the highest level, and the other's very close behin), even saying "they should just die off all ready"..

That sort of chat from him, reminded me of a story i heard a # of years back, where a fellow DND DM had a player up and "Rage-quit" his game..

So that made me wonder, who here has also had something similar happen, where a player for what ever reason, quit the game in a huff?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ever have a player "rage quit" a game? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wow. A guy i had in my ADND group, joined it to start it off, then 'faded into the backround' mid last year. a few mo back, i asked if he'd be able to rejoin the group, just till a few new folks came in (because we were down to 2 regular players after we had 3 move out of state). After Yesterday's session, where one of the 2 characters he was running, got magically held in combat, and the other was rolling like crud to hit, he seemed to have a sort of "Grrr" moment after the game was called for the night.
THEN later in the evening, i got an email from him, raging on about how USELESS his two characters are (even though one of them is tied for the highest level, and the other's very close behin), even saying "they should just die off all ready"..

That sort of chat from him, reminded me of a story i heard a # of years back, where a fellow DND DM had a player up and "Rage-quit" his game..

So that made me wonder, who here has also had something similar happen, where a player for what ever reason, quit the game in a huff?

I have a very good friend of mine who did this.
He gets crap dice rolls...almost always. It's just his lot in life. He is normally a pretty happy-go-lucky guy, but he does have bouts of frustration when the negative dice rolls really pile up...then he gets grumbly...almost whiny at the game.

Once (also in D&D) he rage quit. His knight was leading a group of men-at-arms troops in a big battle to help defend his homeland against a hobgoblin army. He got a few nasty bad rolls and as a result his men were being cut down all around him.

He critical missed, resulting in him slipping in the mud and being stunned for several rounds...

And I judged his character actually got knocked unconscious...because he was gone. We were playing online on roll20 and he had just disconnected.

I texted him by phone to see if it was a tech issue. He said he was just done for the night.

It turned out to be an especially stressful day at work that day...and the game just wasn't helping his state of mind.

I still felt that it was rude to just 'hang up' on the game though.

His character lived...left for dead on the battle field, woke up under a pile of corpses. Made for an interesting role-playing angle in the follow up games as he lamented his failure to help stop the tide of inhumanity.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a player rage quit because someone else's character died. That was pretty weird.

One player had grown bored with their PC and asked if they could be 'retired' in a dramatic way, have a few games off, and return refreshed with a new PC.
Having been granted licence to seemingly kill a PC in the middle of an already badly planned raid, this was perfect.
It was Live Action (non-Star Wars) and was a Rock, Paper, Scissors method of resolution, so was quite easy for the player and I to arrange this to look like a bad run of challenges, as well as the overwhelming NPC defences, has caused the death.

All went well, she acted all "well, these things happen, we messed up" afterwards to maintain the illusion, but one of the players wasn't having it. He stayed really quiet after the game, but approached me in the car park afterwards. Started shouting about how allowing a PC to die was a s**t thing to do, and how I was a terrible GM for allowing it to happen, and got progressively more abusive.

I calmed him down, and in the end told him what had happened and why. He swung a kick at my car, walked off and we never saw him again.

Apparently he'd very recently had a PC die in another game, so I guess he took that out on me (and my car).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a player was threatening to 'rage-quite', because he felt his character sucked (even though it doesn't), would you let someone, 20+ game sessions into playing them, "Re-spec/re-stat" it up, just to keep said player? Ie totally retool his character around?
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was GM'ing star wars.
Theres 5 players.
the time period was just before a new hope.
All players are jedi types.
All chose to focus on combat and stealth skills.
my players had started on an alien ship that used high yield nuclear missiles and had many onboard.
Long story short, they got into a fight and disabled the minimum range on the nukes and used them at point blank range.
they killed their opposition, but took massive damage themselves.
the resist vs the damage always came out to be around 1:3, 1 point resisted for every 3 points taken.
their ship survived by each player burning a force point. (it was the only way I would let them live)
the players all received a lethal dose of radiation.
none of them having any first aid skill above 2D which they labeled him the medic.
So they decide to go somewhere that has adequate medical facilities.
Ship has a very fast hyperdrive.
So they jumped to coruscant.
so here they are in an alien ship and rather than requesting medical aid or something like that, they spam the comm channels with, "we're jedi! come and get us!"
heavy emphasis on the spamming part.
the port authority denied their requests and denied them permission to dock/land and sounded irritated and told them to stop joking around.
they continue to spam the comm channels with, "we're jedi please come and get us."
at this point they discover that their messages are being blocked/jammed.
so rather than use the sensors to discover anything else, one player starts going on a yelling/swearing rant.
we're playing over roll20 and my wife comes in and wants to know why theres so much swearing and why it’s so loud.
i quickly explained it and she left the room annoyed.
by now 1 other player has joined in.
it got so bad that i couldnt get any word in to keep anything going.
so after 20 minutes of profanity lace yelling from 1 player and 1 other chiming in every 30 seconds or so, i just quit the game.
for the next hour i got nasty texts and messages from the pissed off player and more polite but angry ones from the other 1.
the remaining 2 players that stayed out of it just wanted me to continue with just them.
i had to explain that after 20+ minutes of verbal abuse from 60% of my players just put me out of the mood to run the game.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "rage quit" Reply with quote

I've never had any player rage-quit, but I as GM sort of "rage quite" a campaign. When my first Star Wars campaign ended, I ran a sequel solo campaign for one of the advanced PCs. He learned an alternate Force tradition but the player was immature and skirted the Dark Side - He had at least one Dark Side point going into the final adventure we played, the module Black Ice. At the end of the adventure, this Imperial engineer has all these traps and challenges. The PC got wounded twice but overcame every single one. However the player got frustrated with them and when his PC finally reached the defeated and surrendered engineer, the player said his PC was going to attack him with his lightsaber to kill him for all the trouble he put him through. I told the player he would get a Dark Side Point for that, and the player began to argue with me that he shouldn't get one for that. In a sort of rage I rolled a die and got a 1, told the player the PC crossed over to the Dark Side, picked up the character sheet and ripped it in half. I don't do Dark Side redemption stories and that was the campaign's only PC so that meant the end of the campaign anyway, but I never gamed with that player again.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
i was GM'ing star wars.
Theres 5 players.
the time period was just before a new hope.
All players are jedi types.
All chose to focus on combat and stealth skills.
my players had started on an alien ship that used high yield nuclear missiles and had many onboard.
Long story short, they got into a fight and disabled the minimum range on the nukes and used them at point blank range.
they killed their opposition, but took massive damage themselves.
the resist vs the damage always came out to be around 1:3, 1 point resisted for every 3 points taken.
their ship survived by each player burning a force point. (it was the only way I would let them live)
the players all received a lethal dose of radiation.
none of them having any first aid skill above 2D which they labeled him the medic.
So they decide to go somewhere that has adequate medical facilities.
Ship has a very fast hyperdrive.
So they jumped to coruscant.
so here they are in an alien ship and rather than requesting medical aid or something like that, they spam the comm channels with, "we're jedi! come and get us!"
heavy emphasis on the spamming part.
the port authority denied their requests and denied them permission to dock/land and sounded irritated and told them to stop joking around.
they continue to spam the comm channels with, "we're jedi please come and get us."
at this point they discover that their messages are being blocked/jammed.
so rather than use the sensors to discover anything else, one player starts going on a yelling/swearing rant.
we're playing over roll20 and my wife comes in and wants to know why theres so much swearing and why it’s so loud.
i quickly explained it and she left the room annoyed.
by now 1 other player has joined in.
it got so bad that i couldnt get any word in to keep anything going.
so after 20 minutes of profanity lace yelling from 1 player and 1 other chiming in every 30 seconds or so, i just quit the game.
for the next hour i got nasty texts and messages from the pissed off player and more polite but angry ones from the other 1.
the remaining 2 players that stayed out of it just wanted me to continue with just them.
i had to explain that after 20+ minutes of verbal abuse from 60% of my players just put me out of the mood to run the game.

Maybe you shouldn't have let them live...

Whill wrote:
I told the player he would get a Dark Side Point for that, and the player began to argue with me that he shouldn't get one for that. In a sort of rage I rolled a die and got a 1, told the player the PC crossed over to the Dark Side, picked up the character sheet and ripped it in half. I don't do Dark Side redemption stories and that was the campaign's only PC so that meant the end of the campaign anyway, but I never gamed with that player again.

he'd have earned a DSP from me too..
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "rage quit" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...the player got frustrated with them and when his PC finally reached the defeated and surrendered engineer, the player said his PC was going to attack him with his lightsaber to kill him for all the trouble he put him through. I told the player he would get a Dark Side Point for that...

I can't say as I've dealt with any rage quitting over the years. We mostly try to keep the gameplay lighthearted and the times we got serious, it was all in the interests of the story and everyone agreed beforehand to abide by any results. To veer slightly off-topic, if the player you mentioned had used a blaster or vibroblade instead of a lightsaber, would that have earned them a DSP?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "rage quit" Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
...the player got frustrated with them and when his PC finally reached the defeated and surrendered engineer, the player said his PC was going to attack him with his lightsaber to kill him for all the trouble he put him through. I told the player he would get a Dark Side Point for that...

To veer slightly off-topic, if the player you mentioned had used a blaster or vibroblade instead of a lightsaber, would that have earned them a DSP?

Yes. The weapon being used makes no difference. The enemy was defeated and unarmed, with his hands up saying, "I surrender." The mission was a success, the Rebel won, and he had a high ranking Imperial prisoner he could take into custody. Yes, the DSP guidelines are stricter for Force-sensitives, but I would have given a DSP to any character who did that. This wasn't a Dark Lord of the Sith who was too dangerous to be kept alive - This was a weak and helpless engineer.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: "rage quit" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:

To veer slightly off-topic, if the player you mentioned had used a blaster or vibroblade instead of a lightsaber, would that have earned them a DSP?

Yes. The weapon being used makes no difference. The enemy was defeated and unarmed, with his hands up saying, "I surrender." The mission was a success, the Rebel won, and he had a high ranking Imperial prisoner he could take into custody. Yes, the DSP guidelines are stricter for Force-sensitives, but I would have given a DSP to any character who did that. This wasn't a Dark Lord of the Sith who was too dangerous to be kept alive - This was a weak and helpless engineer.

Seems like you and I think alike on DSPs..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: