The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

General house rules questions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> General house rules questions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: General house rules questions... Reply with quote

Say the bounty hunter urrg has armor granting 2D phys and 1d+2 energy protection. A sniper has got the drop on him, but rather than shooting him normally, he calls the shot (and rolls more than needed) to hit the built in jet pack.
1) what armor value would you give the jet pack?
2) what would you 'rate' it's damage levels?
3) if it somehow did go 'boom'!!!, what would the damage be to the wearer???
4) How do you handle it if someone shoots a grenade? With a blaster ? what about with a firearm? A missile weapon??
5) if say i shot a grenade (or even a thermal detonator) on a stormies belt, and it exploded, how would you rule for any other explosives on him (or those nearby) going up??
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: General house rules questions... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Say the bounty hunter urrg has armor granting 2D phys and 1d+2 energy protection. A sniper has got the drop on him, but rather than shooting him normally, he calls the shot (and rolls more than needed) to hit the built in jet pack.
1) what armor value would you give the jet pack?

It would be identical to the armor provided to the character's since it is built into the armor. If it were seperate, I would sayd no armor unless the character had it modded to be armored.
garhkal wrote:
2) what would you 'rate' it's damage levels?

Use the same base damage types as for a vehicle: Ionized, Heavy Damage, Crippled, Destroyed. Treat the pack as having a 2D body on character scale (most gear has 2D body), and add the armor to resist damage.
garhkal wrote:
3) if it somehow did go 'boom'!!!, what would the damage be to the wearer???

A good rule of thumb is to use it's base speed or thrust as damage. You can convert this to a Die Code by backtracking the conversion rules for first edition to second provided in the back of the book (I still use speed Die codes myself as I feel these make chases more dramatic and cinematic, even if not realistic).
garhkal wrote:
4) How do you handle it if someone shoots a grenade? With a blaster ? what about with a firearm? A missile weapon??

Well, it depends on the nature of the explosive. Some explosives will not detonate due to heat or impact in a science fiction setting. Those that do, if the hit manages to get a "destroyed" damage result then the grenade detonates with full damage. Though the modifiers to hit such a small target on anything but a completely still character or surface should be high. As for shooting a grenade with a missile, the missile detonation will probably kill the character, so the grenade is the least of his worries.
garhkal wrote:
5) if say i shot a grenade (or even a thermal detonator) on a stormies belt, and it exploded, how would you rule for any other explosives on him (or those nearby) going up??

They wouldn't, they would be scattered by the blast. The casings on grenades are surprisingly durable. If exposed to prolonged heat, they may detonate, but as a matter of course, when caught in an explosion from a like grenade, unless already primed, they will be scattered throughout the blast radius.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)I would give the Jetpack the armor of a durasteel door, it -does- have to withstand extreme heat.
2)Still character scale
3)same as a thermal detonator.
4)If they shoot a grenade with a blaster, i doubt it would have enough power to penetrate the casing. if they shoot it with a slugthrower, i would hope they're using a scope, and it would have a very good chance of exploding. If they shoot it with a missile weapon, who cares? the person being shot is gonna go BOOM anyway.. >_>
5)If it was a Frag, very good chance of another grenade going off, but i dont know about a thermal.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't make a jet pack detonation as high yield as a thermal detonator. Thermal detonators are high-yield explosives, and although the jetpacks fuel is volatile, it should be no compare. At most, a regular grenade or just slightly above (5-6D). There is the possibility of continued burning from the fuel scatter though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Bean spillage time...

"1) what armor value would you give the jet pack? "

I gave the jet pack the same armor rating as the armor he was weaing, since it was built in.

"2) what would you 'rate' it's damage levels? "

I gave it the same as armor. Heavy or more damage was required to make it spill fuel, and severe or destroyed was needed for it to go boom. AT severe it would have a D6 roll before it went boom, but at destroyed it would go boom then and there (the guy in quesition rolled 1 on the d6)..

"3) if it somehow did go 'boom'!!!, what would the damage be to the wearer??? "

I gave it 1D for each charge it had left (7 at the time).....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: