The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Layering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor Layering Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Armor Layering Reply with quote

how do you guys work dex penalties for stacking on loads of non-dexdropping armor?

like say for example someone had:
a: a combat jumpsuit (+1d Physical, +2 energy for all over the body except the head.
b: a Koromondain Half-Vest (+1D+2 Physical, +2 energy torso front and back)
c. a custom made armored trenchcoat (+1D physical, +1D energy for everything except the head and feet)

so that effectively gives the character 3D+2 physical, +2D+1 energy for the torso and 2D physical 1D+2 everywhere else...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't have access to all that many forms of armour in my puny books so I have never had to think about it. Embarassed
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. I would not add all the strength bonuses together. I'd take the best armour rating and add +1 pip for all the rest. That would be the total strength bonus. If a weapon penetrates the best armour, it will penetrate the others. If it cannot penetrate the best armour, who cares if it penetrates the others? This is a question of ballistics which is too technical to write out here.

I would add the dex penalties together as each would encumber the character, perhaps subtracting -1 pip from each before totaling them.

This would discourage players from doing it but not prevent it. Having worn both medieval and modern armour, this would represent my experience of layered armour.

More is better - as long as you don't have to move.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can't out run a bullet, but you can stop it dead in it's tracks".
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar, But when a physical weapon lets say a bullet hits the armor it would lose a large amount of energy breaking through the armor, so it would be possible for a lesser armor to stop said bullet just becaus it doesnt have the energy to cut through it.

As for energy weapons, the same could be said just depends on how it works i guess?!

And of course you should keep track of which armor is broken through and would be renedered useless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one way to settle this, one of you guys puts on some armour and then the other guy hands me a gun. Twisted Evil Wink
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Captain O'Hagan]The bulletproof cup? I invented this gag, Mac. Only in my day, the rookie got naked. And we also used blanks. *Fires off a live round* You're a sick mother******, Mac.[/Captain O'Hagan]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you talking about?
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, SoF's post led me to think about super troopers, couldn't help myself. continue with your armor statistics posts.

-failed thread hijack-
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great flck. Very Happy
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, the layered armour that Crell brought up was no random assortment. that was mine, well not the half vest, but it was mine. first, the combat jumpsuit allows for vests and helmets to be worn with no penalty. the coat I can see a -1 no more. my character, Weis, for sake of convenience and style wears to coat at all times. when things get harry and if he has notice, he usually dons the jumpsuit for full body coverage. if he were to wear a helmet their would be no penalty.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the Armour in Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear, it looks like dex negatives come depending on how much and where the armour is protecting. Armour that covers everthing almost always has dex penalties (-1d, -1d+1...etc). While armour that covers legs(front), torso, and arms would have a minimal penalty (-2,-1).

Now of course if a character were to be good at Armour repair skill then they could reduce and enhance the armour.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but would cutting the dex penalty of say, stormtrooper armor, leave the defense bonus where it is?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say, after much thought, that if you cut the dex penalty from stormtrooper armor to nothing, then you take away what makes it so protective. I'd say +1D to phy and en like a stormcomando's.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, possibly... but then if you cut the dex penalty and modified it up so that the protection was 1D+2 higher than base... you see where i'm going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: