The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Layering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor Layering Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor Layering Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:

like say for example someone had:
a: a combat jumpsuit (+1d Physical, +2 energy for all over the body except the head.
b: a Koromondain Half-Vest (+1D+2 Physical, +2 energy torso front and back)
c. a custom made armored trenchcoat (+1D physical, +1D energy for everything except the head and feet)

so that effectively gives the character 3D+2 physical, +2D+1 energy for the torso and 2D physical 1D+2 everywhere else...

Perfect, i dont see why you can't allow that. It's done perfectly, plus i've done it before.
If it gets through the trenchcoat, then the next layer will have a stopping attempt, and to be quite honest, I would probably give it a boost, because it's been slowed by one layer already.
Then to the third layer, there's not many weapons to go through three layers at one time. and if so, it's going to be slowed down alot from two. so the third has an even better chance.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
like say for example someone had:
a: a combat jumpsuit (+1d Physical, +2 energy for all over the body except the head.
b: a Koromondain Half-Vest (+1D+2 Physical, +2 energy torso front and back)
c. a custom made armored trenchcoat (+1D physical, +1D energy for everything except the head and feet)

so that effectively gives the character 3D+2 physical, +2D+1 energy for the torso and 2D physical 1D+2 everywhere else...

I would allow it. He has very decent protection on certain parts of his body. Though the fact that he has conflicting layers and added weight, he would probably end up having a few dex penalties, as well as strength penatlies in certain situations.

Also, Boba Fett's armor is a Mandlorian Style, but not actually made out of Mandal Metal. It doesn't quite have the same strengths Mandal Metal does.

Mandal Metal is Blaster Proof, Stun Proof, Bullet Proof, Blade Proof, and even Lightsaber Proof. It is even somewhat Force Proof. That is frikin amazing awesome metal.
But if not even Boba Fett has such armor... where do the players get it? Mandal is no longer on any charts. The Mandalorians no longer hold the power they once had, as they technically no longer exist, their culture has been destroyed, and they do not produce such metal or armor anymore.

Now, I myself do know of several ways characters can get a hold of Mandal Metal and Mandalorian Armor. It is just a GIGANTIC, EPIC quest to get a hold of it. The stuff is very close to being invincible.

But Mandal Metal is flammable. The only weakness.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwahaha, all that proofness, and it's flammable. *Cackles*

Arch Enemy: YOU CAN'T HURT ME! I WEAR MANDALORIAN ARMOR!
Good Guy: Wanna bet? *pulls out the Molitov Cocktail*
Arch enemy: Uhh, bye.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I plotzed when I first heard that. Boba Fett doesn;t have Mandal Metal Armor, isn't really a Mandalorian... and Mandal Metal Armor is FLAMMABLE... flammable... Put a match under it for a little bit, it starts burning. Flamethrowers and other incendiaries have an advantage to it.

But so few people are awar of the weakness, that it usually doesn't matter.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would allow it. He has very decent protection on certain parts of his body. Though the fact that he has conflicting layers and added weight, he would probably end up having a few dex penalties, as well as strength penatlies in certain situations.

Well, i would first off enquire as to the weight of all that. Then take what his other equipment he is carrying. Then look at where he is (is he on tatoine or hoth Laughing )..
Then figure out how much of a stamina and lifting rolls he would have to make to be able to do anything in that ensamble. And while i agree with kehls assessment, imo that is giving over too much to the pcs. It is like how rifts became after a while. Uber everything else to keep up with the latest uber in the books..

I mean, if your players are having all their characters decked out in that ensamble, then you are going to have to beaf up the enemies weapons to actually keep the challenge there. Then the players will want more armor protection... then the baddies want bigger guns... and so on. Which is one of the reasons i don't really lke armor stacking that much.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from the overcoat, i would say maybe made of Kevlar, or the equivilent in SW galaxy. Blast vest equivilent to a Flak Jacket. and the Comat jumpsuit equal to, oh military combat uniform. in all 20 lbs or less.

then the equipment, weapons, grenades, ammo, survival gear, computer.

another 80 lbs

so, it could be done.... just not for a long period of time.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:

Also, Boba Fett's armor is a Mandlorian Style, but not actually made out of Mandal Metal. It doesn't quite have the same strengths Mandal Metal does.

Mandal Metal is Blaster Proof, Stun Proof, Bullet Proof, Blade Proof, and even Lightsaber Proof. It is even somewhat Force Proof. That is frikin amazing awesome metal.
But if not even Boba Fett has such armor... where do the players get it? Mandal is no longer on any charts. The Mandalorians no longer hold the power they once had, as they technically no longer exist, their culture has been destroyed, and they do not produce such metal or armor anymore.

Now, I myself do know of several ways characters can get a hold of Mandal Metal and Mandalorian Armor. It is just a GIGANTIC, EPIC quest to get a hold of it. The stuff is very close to being invincible.

But Mandal Metal is flammable. The only weakness.

Just out of curiousity, do you remember which book/books you encountered all this information in? Especially about Mendalorian Armor and MandelMetal being flamable?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book, a timeline thing about the Jedi persecution. Shortly after the Clone Wars, it was Mandalorian troops with Mandal Metal armor and even Mandal Metal armored ships. Lone Jedi were almost defensless against a team of Mandalorian warriors, and were utterly useless if caught in a Mandal Metal cell.
It was that account that they mentioned everything Mandal Metal could stand against.

And like everyone else, I beleived the Fetts were wearing Mandalorian Armor, and that the Fetts were Mandalorian.
A friend of mine told me that they were not Mandalorian (seemingly beleivable, since Mandal and the Mandalorian culture were lost thousands of years before even KotOR, and where does Boba Fett actually say himself he is Mandalorian?).
This same friend also told me Mandal Metal was flammable. Not merely combustible, flame must be applied for it to catch fire.

Now, the seeming invincibility of Mandalorian Armor, I read it, I must beleive it. Sorry I don't remember the book.
The thing about the Fetts and the flammability, that is trust.

And yes, been searching like mad to find this stuff.
to finance my 'vette!
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thinking back to my army days win we had to wear just a flack vest, Kevlar and l.b.e. I ember how miserable I would be even in the winter lugging around that stuff and feeling the confinement of it all. I can only imagine having to ware more.
/shiver
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where were we? Ah yes.

There are already penalties to wearing any armor at all. Sure, allow bonuses to stack for wearing armor, so long as you allow the penalties to stack as well.
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How my group runs it.

Stacked armour adds the defense together. Just makes sense. No penalties, as the armour doesn't get wimpier, and not bonuses, as armour doesn't get stronger.

Penalties are added from the specific situation. Close-fitting combat suit and a blast vest? No penalties. Armoured robes/coat and form-fitting armour? No problem. Armoured vest ontop of bounty hunter armour? Penalty. Two blast vests? Penalty. Three powersuits? A few heroic checks, and PENALTIES.

~Tahlorn
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd see penalties coming in in terms of Dexterity, and possibly even move, problems as you add more and more layers. Try adding more and more layers of clothing to yourself in real life. And I don't mean like a t-shirt, then a dress shirt, then a jacket. I mean keep adding layers and see how many you can go before you find that you no longer have the range of movement you normally would have. The same would hold true with layering armor. At some point the layers are going to start impeeding the PCs Dexterity. And lots of armor below the waist can start dropping a PCs basic movement speed.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, all of these armors already have all of their own penalties already. If you are going to let the bonuses for multiple armor stack. (1d + 1d + 2d = 4d to Str to resist damage) Than let the penalties for wearing all of that armor stack. (Minus 5 total to movement, minus 3d+2 total to dex, minus 2d to strength for using strength skills and such.)

Seriously, what is wrong with that? Why make it any more complicated? Just use the rules for armor that are already there. More armor gives more protection and more penalties.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Seriously, what is wrong with that? Why make it any more complicated? Just use the rules for armor that are already there. More armor gives more protection and more penalties.

Logically and reasonably some armor can not be stacked on other armor. As you add layers, you are also essentially "bulking out". Has anyone even thought of who the armor was built to fit? Someone in a blast vest is bulkier around the chest and shoulders, then add a frag cloak on top of that, how do you get the off-the-shelf blast plate to fit? It would need to be custom designed. Ok, in let's start with the anti-blaster plate, that seriously bulks you out, how do you fit a standard blast vest over it? Reasonably, you could use an armored jumpsuit as a base layer, and stack either blast plate, or an armored vest + armored gaunlets + armored boots + helmet over it, but not both sets. In order to get heavier protection, you either need to find better armor, or have the armor custom made.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to think about encumberance, and heat exhaustion. Coming from someone who DID have to wear a military flak vest in hot temps, it is very nasty! Now add in a blast plate over it, flak cape etc....... Soon he will be heating up like a victim of a napalm bomb...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: