The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Layering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor Layering Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You also have to think about encumberance, and heat exhaustion. Coming from someone who DID have to wear a military flak vest in hot temps, it is very nasty! Now add in a blast plate over it, flak cape etc....... Soon he will be heating up like a victim of a napalm bomb...

Excellent points as well, and, with all this added padding, then have the party walking around in some extremely hot environment, even not exerting themselves in combat. I'd be having the party make so many Stamina rolls to resist fatigue and heat exhaustion it would be sickening.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonders what those target numbers would be for Tatoine, and Hoth (got to remember it might hinder also in cold weather).
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wonders what those target numbers would be for Tatoine, and Hoth (got to remember it might hinder also in cold weather).

Well, as a guideline, for properly prepared characters in hot climates I occasionally call for Stamina rolls to resist heat exhaustion with a base of 10. This of course assumes they have plenty of hydration, aren't overly encumbered, etc...
For someone whose wearing enough armor to be a walking tank, and now resembles an armored Hutt, I'd say maybe 20 or more. I would say, for each extra layer of non-ventilated clothing (read ARMOR) add one level of difficulty to the base (10). Now, if the character has insufficient watter, it will be even harder. If they engage in prolonged strenuous activity, they will be needing to roll much more often. A failed roll represents the effects of heat exaustion setting in, incurring a cumulative -1D to all further skill and attribute checks until the character has time to rest, hydrate, and cool down (essentially treat as a wound, but not an actual wound, Character makes a healing roll for every full hour of rest per 1D penalty. Rest has to be in an environment where no stamina rolls need be made). When penalties excede the characters Strength Die code, the character passes out from heat exhaustion, and must be taken to a cool location to rest and recover.

But this is just a quick and dirty guess.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this easy rule:

The armor protection stack, but if you wear several layers you get -1 DEX for every layer.

EX:
Wearing 2 blast vests would (assumin that you can find two that fits on top of each other) give +2D physical, +2 energy and -2 DEX.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't allow armor to stack, ala D20. It makes much more sense mechanically. Nor is there any precedent in D6 to allow for stacking. The most heavily armored, well outfitted characters (Boba fett and Darth Vader come to mind) and they don't have particularly high armors either. No one wears a blastvest ontop of a blastvest. It's realistic but quite clearly is against the spirit of the system. It's assumed high grade armor already incorporates blast lining and layers in it.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
We don't allow armor to stack, ala D20. It makes much more sense mechanically. Nor is there any precedent in D6 to allow for stacking. The most heavily armored, well outfitted characters (Boba fett and Darth Vader come to mind) and they don't have particularly high armors either. No one wears a blastvest ontop of a blastvest. It's realistic but quite clearly is against the spirit of the system. It's assumed high grade armor already incorporates blast lining and layers in it.

However, physically, it is possible to wear a blast vest (+1) or blast plate (+1D, -1D Dex) on top of a Jumpsuit (+2) for more protection (+3 or +1D+2) but in all reality, doing so restricts movement more. Which is what this thread started as. Granted, wearing two blast plates or two blast vests one on top of the other is just abuse, and I would definately not allow it (read: would cause it to be so encumbering and restrictive of movement as to really defeat the purpose).
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough. D6 is riddled with loopholes and bad rules, the game assumes a certain spirit of play and fairness. The lack of any armor stacking rules is obviously an oversight, or barring that, a poor design choice. It's min-maxing and breaks the equipment balance of the game, which frankly isn't all that good to begin with.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say this is an oversight of people missing existing rules that cover this, but are of course missing them due to WEGs policy of "Editing, who needs it?" Rolling Eyes

First, nearly all armors come with penalties built in. If the protection is stacking, than so should the penalties.
Second, there are weight limits to how much a person can lift and carry, and for how long. If you are going to have so many armor layers, say good bye to other equipment or you arn't going very far.
Third, without a body glove, environmental penalties due to such encumbrance and insulation are increased for every armor layer.
Fourth, in certain extreme environments, you need a special body glove or you still suffer the above mentioned penalties.

All I can think of right now, but there is more.
to finance my 'vette!
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I all for some rules covering this.

Boomer-Where are the rules that cover weight limits besides common sense? I've brought this question up before and "common sense" was the accepted answer. However, that may be the only way to solve this issue as well.

E
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modify the lifting limits table a bit. I forget which page it is on.
There are more thorough rules covering weight limits in the specforces handbook.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: