The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Willpower roll for "too easy" rolls?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Willpower roll for "too easy" rolls?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Willpower roll for "too easy" rolls? Reply with quote

Greetings, gentlebeings! Soniv here once again. Pondering the nature of the dice, and the fact that at some point, a person could train enough in a skill to where they do not even need to roll to pass a skill, I have decided on this house rule:

If a character has enough dice in a skill that rolling is not required (For instance, 7D for a Very Easy roll), the character must make a Willpower roll two difficulty levels higher than the original roll, in order to bring themselves to perform the task, and not dismiss it as "a job for an idiot".

Having had to perform many mindless chores in the past, I know that it takes quite a lot of willpower. More often than not, a GM simply will not allow this situation to occur, but I think it would be interesting for comic relief value. Comments, suggestions, thwacks on the head for being an idiot?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the skill and the character. I would do any task "below" me so long as it isn't repetitive and purposeless. I hate repetitive, but don't mind simple. And as far as purposeless, I would do anything I saw as needed, regardless.

I wouldn't make it a house rule, I would make it situational.
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very interesting idea, IMO. This would allow the character to be "in character" more often, since a player would probably not consider any job to be too mindless or meaningless for a die roll.

But like Endwyn said, I would make it more of a situational rule, not a manadory for every situation. Kind of like the "Uncertainty Dice" rule in the Star Wars Rules Comapion.

Jael...
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you are using a wild die, even "very easy" rolls could have complications. The wild die is a great way of preventing complacency in skill levels.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a more imediate problem with this idea:

GM: The Gamorean Whirls on you with his Axe, flipping the table on end. The endless grunts and growls roughly translate to "What did you call my mother". What Do You Do?
PC: I'm going to blast Him!
GM: Well, the range is point blank, so your difficulty is 5. Wait! Your blaster skill is 8D, give me a moderate Willpower roll.
PC: (rolls) *groans* I didn't make it.
GM: You quickly decide that this shot is for an idiot and holster your blaster, as it is benath your ability. The Gamorean Swings...
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, that would be an example of circumstance.

If a character with an 8D in Blaster sees a Gamorrean coming at him with a vibroaxe, he would not consider shooting him to be a "redundant" or "mindless" use of my skill. So I would not consider, as a GM, making the character roll a Willpower skill check to see if he would shoot or not.

Jael...
Ars_Fortuna
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't use something like this as a rule, there are too many exceptions to when it should be used. Instead of making someone roll thier Willpower to be able to clean and maintain thier hyperdrive, I'd be more likely to enourage and reward a player that roleplayed procrasting the task and grumbling about it in character to the rest of the party.
He eats a LOT
He's getting big!
He needs a lot of attention
Assigned crewer to pet him
He's attacking the crew
Stop, Fluffy, stop!
I'm going to miss him
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Situational would likely be best, as many of you have said. I clearly didn't have combat situations in mind when I was pondering this idea. More like Ars' situation about cleaning and maintaining a Hyperdrive. As for the Wild Die, I myself am reluctant to use the complication rule, especially with a successful roll, but that's just me. I like the idea of encouraging roleplayed procrastination, that seemslike a good idea as well. Clearly, in a combat situation, this rule would pretty much go out the window. Here's more of an ideal situation:

GM: Soniv, you've been assigned to fix up and maintain the starfighters. It's an Easy roll, roll your Starfighter Repair.
Soniv: But with my 3D of Starfighter Engineering, I have 9D, do I even need to roll?
GM: Hm, right. This task seems a bit easy for Soniv, roll your Willpower, difficult roll.
Soniv: *rolls* 14. "Soniv throws his starfighter repair tools to the ground, and storms off in a rage. 'Blast it, why do I have to do this? This is an idiot's job, someone else should do it. DECKHAND!'"
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soniv wrote:
As for the Wild Die, I myself am reluctant to use the complication rule, especially with a successful roll, but that's just me.

I think that complications on the successful rolls add spice to life. Sure, you were successful at the task you rolled for, but something else went wrong.

So yeah, you successfully fixed the hyperdrive, but you managed to accidently pull out the plug for the climate control unit while doing it. You notice how warm the cockpit feels halfway to Tatooine.

*Edit*
I forgot to mention: as you can see, complications don't have to be THAT bad.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: