The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Trilithium Guns?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Trilithium Guns? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Laser that fires a beam of Antimatter?

"That's Rocky Horror."

Oh, right.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, considering lithium, chemical symbol Li, atomic weight between 6.939 and 6.941 does exsist in reality and is used, among other things, in the making some types of batteries (which actually last longer than dry cell batteries but are more expensive), I'd hardly say it doesn't do a "single damn thing." It's density is half the density of water and reacts with water. When you place it over a flame it gives of a crimsom color but when it is strongly burning it's a brilliant white. the compound Lithium deuteride is the choice fuel for hydgrogen bombs. Lithium alloys are used in making high performance airplane parts. Lithium hydroxide is the prefered alkali hydroxide in removing carbon dioxoide aboard subs and spacecraft. Lithium is even used sometimes in making glass and ceramics. And these are just some of the various uses for Lithium and its compounds.

Thank you, professor Hellcat. Wink

But I think the point of the previous post:
Quote:
Trilithium, like Dilithium, and plain old Lithium, really doesn't do a single damn thing except in Star Trek where it apparantly has a function for some reason.

was that lithium does not have any properties that would make it a good weapon. I assume if you wish to make a bullet that removes carbon dioxide, or outperforms dry cell batteries- go ahead. But I just don't see the use in that.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
...lithium does not have any properties that would make it a good weapon. I assume if you wish to make a bullet that removes carbon dioxide, or outperforms dry cell batteries- go ahead. But I just don't see the use in that.

Well, asuming that possibly Dilithium or Trilithium being bilobal or trilobal molecules of lithium with a crystaline structure that makes them superior energy conductors or storage mediums to Lithium, which is already superior to dry cell batteries, how about a blaster power pack with enhanced storage or output? Seems reasonable.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you could use it to enhance blaster gas... it was used as a fuel catalyst... so that is a bit reasonable.... i might allow Grif that one... after i beat him...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you allow someone to start importing from another universe you can expect something like this:

Ship Log of Munchinizing Twink

"I love my trilitium powered blaster made out of admantium. Of course my personal translator droid is a unique android having difficulty understanding humans....I outfitted my ship with phasers and transporters and have been trying to figure out what the big circular disk with all the funny symbols on it is used for. Strangely a lot of worlds have one that looks like the one on my ship. Odd, huh? Anyways, I gottta go Mr Ship's log, sir; I have to go talk to the professor about controling my non-force based powers."

Well, that's what I can see happening with the right players..........
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm.. the translator droid who cant understand humans..... thats funny

one of the other players has a chef droid that can make 5000 different kinds of oatmeal.... and if you say something bad about it, he will cut his hydrolic hoses....
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Quote:
Well, considering lithium, chemical symbol Li, atomic weight between 6.939 and 6.941 does exsist in reality and is used, among other things, in the making some types of batteries (which actually last longer than dry cell batteries but are more expensive), I'd hardly say it doesn't do a "single damn thing." It's density is half the density of water and reacts with water. When you place it over a flame it gives of a crimsom color but when it is strongly burning it's a brilliant white. the compound Lithium deuteride is the choice fuel for hydgrogen bombs. Lithium alloys are used in making high performance airplane parts. Lithium hydroxide is the prefered alkali hydroxide in removing carbon dioxoide aboard subs and spacecraft. Lithium is even used sometimes in making glass and ceramics. And these are just some of the various uses for Lithium and its compounds.

Thank you, professor Hellcat. Wink

But I think the point of the previous post:
Quote:
Trilithium, like Dilithium, and plain old Lithium, really doesn't do a single damn thing except in Star Trek where it apparantly has a function for some reason.

was that lithium does not have any properties that would make it a good weapon. I assume if you wish to make a bullet that removes carbon dioxide, or outperforms dry cell batteries- go ahead. But I just don't see the use in that.

Did you not pay attention to lithium deuteride being the choice fuel for hydrogen bombs. Lithium-6 and lithium-7 produce tritium when they are bombarded with neutrons. The tritium and the hydrogen isotope deuterium (which is what the deuteride in lithium deuteride is) fuses together in a fusion reaction that is pretty easy to achieve. In other words, lithium in this form is very lovely in making good weapons of mass destruction. In it's pure form lithium is highly flamable and a bit explosive when you expose it to air and, especially, water. That would certainly make for using lithium as a weapon.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. Well it's about friggin time someone told me about the uses of Lithium in power and weapons.

But still, the way it is portrayed in Star Trek is far-fetched. And trying to make a handheld sun-crusher weapon is over the edge.

I still say it can't be used the way he was speaking of, or the way they show in Star Trek.
to finance my 'vette!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you not pay attention to lithium deuteride being the choice fuel for hydrogen bombs. Lithium-6 and lithium-7 produce tritium when they are bombarded with neutrons. The tritium and the hydrogen isotope deuterium (which is what the deuteride in lithium deuteride is) fuses together in a fusion reaction that is pretty easy to achieve. In other words, lithium in this form is very lovely in making good weapons of mass destruction. In it's pure form lithium is highly flamable and a bit explosive when you expose it to air and, especially, water. That would certainly make for using lithium as a weapon.

K. Then make it a bomb.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or leave trilithium in Star Trek and just hand the weapon to a verpine. Wink
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
Uhm.. the translator droid who cant understand humans..... thats funny

one of the other players has a chef droid that can make 5000 different kinds of oatmeal.... and if you say something bad about it, he will cut his hydrolic hoses....

10,000 Different kinds of oatmeal you mean.
The one that goes crazy after somebody says haphazzard. Damn i forgot his name. Kehlin help me out man?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question of this thread, I think it shouldn't be efficient to try to build a hand gun size weapon with a powerfull source of energy.
Why ? Because a hand gun need to be cooled after each fire. Powerfull shoot need powerfull cooler system on the barrel and into the weapon.
Because the cooler system is weightly there isn't any advantage... If you look at Galaxy guide of Yavin and Bespin, you can read an article about tibanna gas. it shows the same thinking.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then... I guess Lithium does do a d*mn thing or two... Wink
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because a hand gun need to be cooled after each fire.
Well, maybe not.

After all, the weapon heats only if part of the energy is not used for the shot itself. If the weapon has an efficiency near 100% (maybe due to supraconducters or something like that) there should be no problem. Very Happy

Of course I agree that blaster technology is not perfect and so one need cooler systems on blasters Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I'll have to agree that it would be so impractical to create such a hand weapon that it simply wouldn't be done. I mean, you might perhaps be able to explain upgrading the power of each bolt to the point where it's practically vaporizing a target, but the amount of energy required to do this would make firing such a weapon a slow, non-repetitive process. The rate of fire would be a crawl, and the recoil would likely hurt you if you made a bad enough roll...

Picture Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam going back and forth, each pulling a bigger gun out of where ever they pull them from, running back and forth across the screen, until they're finally wheeling cannons...

can't we all just get along? Shocked Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: