The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DSPs for the Non-force sensetive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> DSPs for the Non-force sensetive Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: DSPs for the Non-force sensetive Reply with quote

I am a little rusty on my DSP rules.
If I remember right...

Force Sensetive characters gain DSPs whever they preform an evil act (not sure if that goes for non force-users)... especially when using the force to commit that act...

All characters gain DSPs when using a force point or character pts for evil acts.

Any character using spice could gain DSPs.

Now... my question is this...
First of all, am I correct in my above statements?

Second... clearly, it is easier for force users to gain DSPs faster. Are force pts and character pts really the only way a non force-user gains DSPs? It's my understanding that a character finally falls to the dark side when he rolls 1D each time he gains a DSP and the result is lower than the number of DSPs that he has total. Does a non force-user also make that roll? If so... and a non force user fails that roll or reaches 6 DSPs, does that mean that the PC has fallen to the dark side? I have a hard time grasping the idea that a non force user could technically fall to the dark side of the force.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it, non-force users gain DSP only to reflect how evil they are. They don't roll the D6 to see if they "fall to the dark side", they just get a little more evil the more DSP they have. It's harder for a non-force user to get DSP, he has to commit some truly evil acts.

Summarizing, non-force users have DSP just as a role-playing guideline.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody rolls, but it looks like this:

Force user: Highest moral obligation. Resonsible for actions taken and those of others he does not work to stop. (If two PC's were on a ship with a prisinor and I announced to the Jedi I was going to go kill the prisinor for fun because the bounty was Dead OR alive, and he just sat there he gets a DSP.)

Force Sensitive: Evil acts.

Non Force Sensitive: Spending a force point to do an evil act. (It takes quite a bit to get them a DSP.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handle DSPs for non-force users as them being acts of clear, unadulterated evil, no matter the intention or manner. For instance, when I made a starting character once, as part of his background, he detonated the reactor at the Sienar plant where he worked in revenge for the slaughter of his parents as "collateral damage" to "pacify the insurgency". This explosion killed a lot of people unrelated to the incident, so I gave him a DSP for it, even though he wasn't force-sensitive.

It takes more for a NFS to get a DSP, but they can still get one, even without using a FP, if their acts involve any sort of genocide, cold-blooded murder, or other acts of clear, unnessecary evil. At least, by my rules anyway.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to look at... Non Force sensitive people have no chance at anything to do with the force... so its harder for them to get DSP..

Force users can get DSPs because of what they do, because they can use the force...

its kinda like the Carrot/Stick theory
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, which is why Non-force sensitive characters only get DSP's when commiting evil acts while using a force point.
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second there, are some of you really saying that non-force sensitives ONLY get a DSP when using a force point to commit evil? Are you saying that when Tarkin ordered the destruction of Alderaan he didn't get a single DSP?!! (I doubt he needed to spend a force point to accomplish that)

That's nuts. If you commit a heinous act, you get a DSP. Sure if you spend a force point on an evil act, you're sure to get a DSP, just as you would when "calling on the dark side".

But do non-force-sensitives "fall to the dark side"? I don't think so. A regular character with 6 DSP does not become an NPC, he's just a bad, bad person, so you should play it like that....
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a non-force sensitive can't fall to the dark side then why would they gain dark side points? They aren't connected to the force, so it is different for them...no less wrong or morally unacceptable, but they don't suffer from DSP's.
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They gain DSP for the reason I stated in my 1st post: it's a role-playing guideline. It works similar to your alignment in D&D.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what your saying, but the statement your making is they collect DSP's but can't suffer the consequence, which is go to the dark side.

That's like saying you would give out traffic tickets for parking violations in the parking lot of a fogein embassy. Regardless of hom many tickets you issue, the diplomats are immune to the consequences of the tickets - and will never have to pay or even be concerned about them. From your standpoint, why bother issueing them, just for the sake of doing so? I follow this logic out further to what I believe out DSP's. Above all else as a cop you have no right to issue parking tickets, the embassy is not under US jurisdiction....just as those not sensitive to the force are part of a completly different catagory, as are the forse sensitive seperated from force users. Each group goverened by different levels of restrictions, not policed by the responsibilities of others. If you're not sensitive to the force why are you goverened by it's light and dark guidelines?

Does not a Jedi have more responsibility to uphold the highest standards of the light? Then why wouldn't someone not sensitive to the force have much less responsibility? The only way a non-force sensitive character has any true connection to the force is by using it....FP's.
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the rulebook describes character points as being a manifestation of the Force, however small. So that's another way a non-force-sensitive connects to the force. They can also call on the dark side and get a force point for immediate use, thus gaining a DSP. So it is clear that even though a NFS character can't "use" the force, it's always manifesting itself through him.

What I said about NFS characters not "turning" to the dark side is that I don't think they have that "moment of turning", they don't have that moment where they roll a D6 and it comes out as less than their DSP and thus become a dark-sider, potentially becomming an NPC.
A NFS character with 6 DSP sure is evil, and "of the dark side", but not as hopeless and utterly corrupted as a jedi gone to the dark-side.

I just think it's really strange to imagine that characters like Jabba, Tarkin, Boba Fett only get DSP when spending FP. Horrible deeds can be commited without that much effort. Tarkin has 5, Veers has 2, Dr. Evazan has 2, Boba Fett has 6, Jabba has 6, I don't think those were all gained by spending FP, it seems more like an "evil-meter".
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying their disconnected from the force or that the only way is to do something evil while spending a force point; but they are not bound by the same rules as others. It takes really, really bad stuff to warrent a NFS getting a DSP.
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not arguing that. I agree, it takes a NFS a truly horrendous act to gain a DSP. While if a jedi just maims an innocent he may be getting a DSP, a NFS must do something truly evil like a massacre or executing a child to get one.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Boba holds anywhere between zero and three. But has gained hundreds, and bought them off with the force points he also gains, being that he isn't always evil but commits acts of heroism just as often. Basically, he does as he pleases.

And I do allow non-force users to fall to the dark side. There are still non-force user villains in the galaxy. But it is more difficult for them to even gain the points in the first place.

By the way... why is there no way to call on the light side?
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the dark side is easy, faster, more seductive.

What's faster and easier than a free force point? It's kinda sexy and seductive isn't it?
That's improbable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: