The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DSPs for the Non-force sensetive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> DSPs for the Non-force sensetive Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light side is not a seducer, that's why. The dark side is always offering special bonuses and a convenient helping hand to those it's trying to seduce. But once you've gone dark side, you're ensnared and lose quite a lot of those "special treatments". The light side, on the other hand, is a tougher, slower path, with no shortcuts, but much more gratifying in the long run.

I personally think that the way WEG handled the dark side's temptation is fantastic. My jedi player just gained his 1 and only DSP last week and the role-playing has been fantastic since then. He has the option of adding 1D to all his force rolls, but there's a constant risk of getting more DSP that way. He can try to refuse that bonus, but all his force rolls are more difficult. He's been handling it wonderfully, one adventure he gave in more to the dark side, but the other he felt bad about it and decided to refuse the bonus through and through. Wonderful system, I tell you.

Boomer, your Boba example is why I think non-force-sensitive people don't "turn to the dark side". When a jedi goes dark-sider, it means he has a black heart and will ALWAYS commit evil, selfish acts. He will never show mercy, love, sacrifice, etc (unless in some special redemption scene). Now, our dear old Boba with 6 DSP there, is still capable of having a "good day". He's not ALL bad, and can save a family in danger, give food to a starving bum and so on. That I think is the difference between FS and NFS regarding the dark side.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

What I said about NFS characters not "turning" to the dark side is that I don't think they have that "moment of turning", they don't have that moment where they roll a D6 and it comes out as less than their DSP and thus become a dark-sider, potentially becomming an NPC.
A NFS character with 6 DSP sure is evil, and "of the dark side", but not as hopeless and utterly corrupted as a jedi gone to the dark-side.

Well, i disagree. By the way the rules in the main book, it looks like it applies to ANYONE, not just those who use the force...
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Actually, the rulebook describes character points as being a manifestation of the Force, however small. So that's another way a non-force-sensitive connects to the force. They can also call on the dark side and get a force point for immediate use, thus gaining a DSP. So it is clear that even though a NFS character can't "use" the force, it's always manifesting itself through him.

Yea. I included that in my original post... I actually did a little research before starting this thread.

Just for game balance, I think I would apply the Jedi's falling to the dark side rules to NFS PCs as well as FS characters. Clearly, it would take a NFS longer to fall, but I think that also helps balance things. As far as I'm concerned, NFS should also have to make that 1D6>#of DSP or turn to the dark side AND become an NPC.

My only exception, I think, would be if everyone agrees to play evil characters... or good characters who are all intended to eventually turn evil for a planned evil campaigne. I don't think I'd ever let my players play evil characters during the Rebellion era, though.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, NFS's do NOT fall. And it takes enourmous effort to gain a DSP.

Star Wars Second Ed: Pg 12 wrote:
Most people spend their entire lives unaware of the Force. They may be good, evil, or neutral. Nonetheless, they are blind to the power of the Force, although they may subconsciously call upon it's power, calling it luck, fate, destiny, religion, magic, or any of a million other words which attempt to describe what defies description. They can do evil, yet not be swallowed by the Dark side. They can do good, yet not find the path of the Jedi.

Yet, to those who are Forse-sensitive, the Force is more than an abstract theoretical arguement. They can feel the Force flowing through them - they feel the essence of life itself. The sensitive can feel all aspects of the Force, both Light and Dark.

[SKIPED TEXT]

Force-sensitive characters feel the pull of both the Light and the Dark. They must be careful not to do evil, or they risk going over to the Dark Side, forever corrupted.

Clearly those who are not force sensitive do not turn, and it's my interpritation from everything I've read, seen, and played; that they are not bound by the same rules of what constitutes gaining a DSP. While they commit evil they don't feel the dark side without some extra help.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what the rulebook says...everything in the rulebook can be tossed out at the GM's discression. Which is why d6 rules. It is flexible. It actually almost insists on house rules. All DSP's are handed out at my discression as the GM. Not by the rules of the book. But they do get handed out. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, endwyn. What then do DSPs do for those who are NFS? What happens when they DO become FS??
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they could be in trouble once they became force sensitive. I would handle it one of two ways, and I'll explain which I would pick and why. One would be to make the PC roll to see if he turned when he became force sensitive. I could see a GM ruling this because of all the lingering darkness from X DSP's. I wouldn't do this.

I would do nothing until the character gained another DSP. Since the prior actions have occured when the character wasn't sensitive to the force the actions weren't capable of turning them at the time. I honestly see it going one of two ways. Either the character will fall quickly since they suffer from the effect of DSP's; or the character is already on the path to atonement and is going to work them off (slowly) and be fine in the end. Few characters would just float where they are. I seem to have a very different viewpoint on NFS's having liberal guidlines, FS's having stricter rules, and Force Users being the pedistool example of behavior for what gets you a DSP. With my viewpoint though, what gets you a DSP becomes much less than before so you have either already started cleaning up your behavior or are going to fall fast and hard. (As getting those DSP's as a NFS in our games took LOTS of evilness.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
CrankyBob
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rember that as GM you have control over how DSPs are given out. My advice is to start with a clear line of good/evil actions, give the players some 'broad' examples.

1st ? Yes you are correct

2nd ? Non-force sensitive characters can get DSPs for truely evil acts. Falling to the darkside represents that he is a tool of the darkside. He don't have to use force powers to cause evil or advance the dark side. A force users is a known TOOL. While a non-force users is a TOOL, he just doesn't know it.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, arguments over semantics are the best.
O.K. Non Force Sensitive characters can earn Dark Side Points with the improper use of force points and character points, just as Force Users. However, this is not the only way for them to Earn DSPs. As iis discussed in the GM sections of all three editions of the Star Wars Rulesbooks, if any character commits a particularly evil or atrocious act, then at the GMs discression, that character receives a Dark Side Point, whether or not he spent a Force Point in the commission of that act. Key phrase, At the GM's Discression. The books even explain this stance quite well in those sections.

As for Non Force Sensitives "Turning to the dark side" I think everyone is taking that phrase far too litterally. The rules explain that this may not essentially be becoming a dark side force user, but represents the character has become evil, spiteful, and consumed by hate. Also, keep in mind, the force flows through all things, binds them together, and can influence them (hence why even NON FORCE USERS can USE FORCE POINTS). So with this in mind, and the rules clearly supporting this, a non force sensitive character must make the roll just as a force user. It doesn't mean the exact same thing, but the consequences are the same. Failing the Dark Side roll, the dark side has gained sufficient sway over the character to make him evil, vengeful, bitter, and hateful, and he should be handed over to the GM to be used as an NPC and possibly a villain. Clearly, a Jedi who turns becomes so consumed with the darkside, and is aware of the pressence of the force, and becomes a dark jedi. Boba Fette is evil, Jabba is evil, Grand Moff Tarkin was evil...all non force users, non force sensitives...all pawns of the dark side non the less.

If you, as a GM, are fine allowing DS characters and villains, then by all means, throw out the "turning rolls" for all characters, Jedi and non-jedi alike. Otherwise, they apply to all, they just have a slightly different meaning with the same end results.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that the reason the roll was made is to reflect how strongly the Dark Side of the Force can ensnare FS/FUs. While a NFS, in my campaign, would not have to make the roll, I would still have them "turn", in a sense, once they reach seven DSPs; the hatred would finally be too much, consuming them, and making them into a psychotic villan.

DSPs for a NFS, then, would be a role-playing tool. As they accrue, encourage the NFS to roleplay a more bitter, vengeful character. For instance, if they don't reflect their turning to the emotions of the Dark Side, deduct CPs from them, since the Dark Side is "punishing" them for being less angry. If they comply, and play the character correctly, assign CPs as normal.

Then there is atonement. For a NFS, there would be two ways to atone: Training, and Heroic Deeds. Training would be the equivalent of a FS/FU's timed atonement, but would be considerably more difficult and would not openly involve the Force.

Then there are Heroic Deeds. If a NFS uses a FP in such a way as to gain two FPs back in an adventure, they can elect to have a DSP removed rather than gain the extra FP.

Again, these are all my personal thoughts on the topic.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You there! Yes, you who have read the whole thread and are now reading this. I am speaking to you specifically.

Read what Kageryu wrote, up above. Just above Soniv's post. See that there? ...hmm, maybe I should just quote it.

Quote:
Wow, arguments over semantics are the best.
O.K. Non Force Sensitive characters can earn Dark Side Points with the improper use of force points and character points, just as Force Users. However, this is not the only way for them to Earn DSPs. As iis discussed in the GM sections of all three editions of the Star Wars Rulesbooks, if any character commits a particularly evil or atrocious act, then at the GMs discression, that character receives a Dark Side Point, whether or not he spent a Force Point in the commission of that act. Key phrase, At the GM's Discression. The books even explain this stance quite well in those sections.

As for Non Force Sensitives "Turning to the dark side" I think everyone is taking that phrase far too litterally. The rules explain that this may not essentially be becoming a dark side force user, but represents the character has become evil, spiteful, and consumed by hate. Also, keep in mind, the force flows through all things, binds them together, and can influence them (hence why even NON FORCE USERS can USE FORCE POINTS). So with this in mind, and the rules clearly supporting this, a non force sensitive character must make the roll just as a force user. It doesn't mean the exact same thing, but the consequences are the same. Failing the Dark Side roll, the dark side has gained sufficient sway over the character to make him evil, vengeful, bitter, and hateful, and he should be handed over to the GM to be used as an NPC and possibly a villain. Clearly, a Jedi who turns becomes so consumed with the darkside, and is aware of the pressence of the force, and becomes a dark jedi. Boba Fette is evil, Jabba is evil, Grand Moff Tarkin was evil...all non force users, non force sensitives...all pawns of the dark side non the less.

If you, as a GM, are fine allowing DS characters and villains, then by all means, throw out the "turning rolls" for all characters, Jedi and non-jedi alike. Otherwise, they apply to all, they just have a slightly different meaning with the same end results.

The only thing I disagree with is your assessment of Boba Fett. With all the is written on Boba Fett, it is clear he is not completely turned. He earns DSPs, Earns FPs, buys off his DSPs with FPs, uses FPs for more FPs and DSPs. Walking a fine line to do as he pleases, without becoming a tool of evil and staying lawful enough to continue bounty hunter work and stay good with legitimate authorities as well as villains.
But Jabba, oh yeah, villain, slime-ball.

And, I would suggest any player who earns himself a dark-side point start looking for the chance to redeem himself FAST. Like Boba.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: