The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark side points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dark side points Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Dark side points Reply with quote

Sometimes I think the rules for dark side points are way too strict. If you apply the rules to the movies, Luke would have been a Sith lord very quickly. When I gamemaster, I like to loosen up the rules a bit and let Jedi characters get away with a little more.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Mvlakh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke does go to the Darkside very soon after the movies it was only the power of his sister and her unborn child that saved him from the darkside.
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark side points are kind of strict but that is the whole point of the game. With our group I think our game has evolved away a little bit from the good versus evil of the Empire against the Rebellion. We play more freelance stuff that often doesn't even have anything to do with the Empire or the Rebellion. When you play that way then you can loosen up the rules. I do believe though that the Dark Side points should be strict for Jedi's because that is the point of their very existance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that rules are very strict... I gamemaster a group with a young jedi and nobody doesn't make a "bad thing" like kill an alien without blaster or arms, or assassin a somebody in the back... So I think my people would play with right minding...
But when they made a funny thing with a "bad thing" and we laught about it... I close my eyes... the first things for Role Playing Game is to have good time and fun
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost one character to the darkside, and now i have to fight him once every 2-3 sessions, and he's a lot more skilled than i remember... i hate the darkside rules, i think players should be able to play bad guys, as long as the rest of the group doesn't mind.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea We think the dark side rules are right on. But then I begin every new player with: "In this game you are the heroes..."

Han Solo is a good example of a heroic bad guy. He talks bad, but doesn't do bad.

We have bounty hunters in our group, but they are honorable bounty hunters.

Dark side points are an excellent way of keeping Jedi in check. "If your Jedi goes over to the dark side he will be an NPC to oppose the group. And he will hunt YOUR characters until the group figures out how to deal with him..."
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that makes sense. Our gaming sessions get to the freelance side of things some times but for the most part our characters are mostly good. We do play the "Heroes" of the galaxy. Sometimes though we just have to do it underhandedly. Twisted Evil

For a jedi I beleive the dark side rules are on because that is what a Jedi is. That is the character they chose so they must play it.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing a thug or bad guy in starwars is fun... i've had my gm warn me once about darkside points, when i nearly killed a guy by pistol whipping him in the forhead...

besides, the players playing heroes should be up to them, not the GM, the game's designed for everyone to have fun
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first edition of the game always assumed that the player characters were members of the Rebel Alliance. The second edition seemed to expand more into letting the characters be more independent, smugglers, bounty hunters, etc. Maybe they felt this allowed independent characters more freedom... Question

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rule that I have used is that doing great evil gets darkside points for non-force sensitive. But with that in mind, Force users are able able to feel the evil from the characters. They are also easier to sense in the force. For the force users I tell them how it is with the dark side. Most choose to play nice then evil.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me, I give dsp for every evil act force sensitive or not. For non-forceusers, I encourage players whos characters have a lot of dsp to play more aggressive, more prone to violence rather than rational thought.
Ragnar is an example with 8 dsp.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever wondered how many dsps Vader has?
Under the rules of 2nd revised and expanded, a darkside jedi can only earn character points by earning a dsp. 1 to 1 as I recall. So wouldn't he have like... hundreds!

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are darkside points given for an evil intent or does it have to be acted uppon successfully. For instance if you fight off a band of attackers and they run away and you attempt to shoot them in the back while they are fleeing but fail to kill them would you gain a darkside point?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be up to the MOG, but as a MOG I would give you a warning, assuming that was the first evil intent. Afterwards, DSPs are fair game.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about space combat... It seems a bit removed, the ships may even be droid ships and so you don't even know if you are killing anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: