The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Old Republic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Old Republic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelanoRune
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: The Old Republic Reply with quote

I owned the main book a long time ago and since sold it. Now I own it again (thank you eBay!) after realizing my mistake. I have one player, and we're running a "solo campaign", which is a little more interesting than a group thing since I'm allowed a lot more flexability. Anyway...

My question is regarding the Old Republic. We decided that since we both have played KotoR that it wouldn't be a bad idea to set the time period back then, during the days of the Sith and the Mandalorian Wars. What I don't know is a possible resource to get information about the time period (beyond what's on the game). Anybody have any insight? Links?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several sources. WEG's Tales of the Jedi Companion, which is set a little more than thirty years before the beginning of the KotOR game. The comic series Tales of the Jedi, which can be aquired in the trade paperbacks Golden Age of the Sith (5,000 BBY), Fall of the Sith Empire (5,000 BBY), Tales of the Jedi/Knights of the Old Republic (4,000 BBY), The Freedon Nadd Uprising (3,998 BBY), Dark Lords of the Sith (3,997 BBY), The Sith War (3,996 BBY), and Redemption (3,986 BBY). Tales of the Jedi was itself called Knights of the Old Republic either before being collected in TPB or after and is known by both names as well as giving it's name to the over all series. It and The Freedon Nadd Uprising are covered in the TotJ Companion. Redemption is set thirty years before the first game begins. Beyond these, there is a timeline on the offical The Sith Lords game site that covers from GAotS through the second game in the KotOR game series. There's also the Essential Chronology which has a section on this period. Then there's most of the other Essential Guides that will offer some insights; the Essential Guide to Characters, the New Essential Guide to Characters, the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, the Essential Guide to Droids, the Essential Guide to Planets and Moons, the Essential Guide to Weapons and Equipment, the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Equipment, and the Essential Guide to Alien Species.

Wanted Poster
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Old Republic Reply with quote

For stats it might make sense to simply use standard stats from the rulebooks. If you need a small battleship, use the Corellian Corvette and just triple the hyperspace multiplier to reflect the old technology. Blaster AND shield technologies were less efficient back then, so it won't make a difference. Tweak the numbers a bit. Fighters were weaker and ships needed bigger crews to be operated. Ships where of simple structure and couldn't reach 8km. After all, the Star Destroyer was a revolution in technology.

What bothered me about KotOR, was that the portrayed ships looked like we where maybe 150 years max. before the battle of Yavin.

At RPGGamer.org, there is a huge collection of all kind of (im)possible ships, prequel adaptions and some KotOR stuff as well.

I've been planning an Old Republic campaign for a while now, too.

>-q=p---
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Old Republic Reply with quote

DelanoRune wrote:
My question is regarding the Old Republic...What I don't know is a possible resource to get information about the time period. Anybody have any insight? Links?

Tales of the Jedi Companion, the first three movies, and most of all - your imagination.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Old Republic Reply with quote

Chandra Mindarass wrote:
For stats it might make sense to simply use standard stats from the rulebooks. If you need a small battleship, use the Corellian Corvette and just triple the hyperspace multiplier to reflect the old technology. Blaster AND shield technologies were less efficient back then, so it won't make a difference. Tweak the numbers a bit. Fighters were weaker and ships needed bigger crews to be operated. Ships where of simple structure and couldn't reach 8km. After all, the Star Destroyer was a revolution in technology.

What bothered me about KotOR, was that the portrayed ships looked like we where maybe 150 years max. before the battle of Yavin.

At RPGGamer.org, there is a huge collection of all kind of (im)possible ships, prequel adaptions and some KotOR stuff as well.

I've been planning an Old Republic campaign for a while now, too.

Ok, running down the line...

An Old Republic Dreadnought had a x1 hyperdirve. It had a Weapons system about 3 quarters that of a Victory Star Destroyer and half the crew.

Tech in the Star Wars universe has remained nearly unchanged in capabilities for nearly 10,000 years. It is simply style that makes major leaps.

The Star Destroyer was no great leap in Tech. In fact the Empire was trying to limit technology which is why they shut down Incom after they built a few hundred X-Wings. X-Wings were too high tech.
Star Destroyer is three ships, Destroyer, Carrier, Troopship, all for the price of 5 and less versatility since they are glued into one hull. Does that really sound like a huge leap to anyone else?

Chandra, your using a correct form of logic, if Star Wars worked like other Sci-Fi, a century makes a giganctic tech diffrence.
But Star Wars is very diffrent. 10,000 years, and they use the blasters, wear armor, and cruise in space-ships. Hyperdrives have not changed much from their original Gree designs.
The big diffrence in travel times comes from improving hyperspace lanes.
to finance my 'vette!
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Source conflict Reply with quote

It depends on where you look. The Thrawn trilogy mentioned a LOT of "Old Republic/Clone Wars" ships, that where nowhere to be seen in "official" sources and personally I think the Zahn books contain shiploads of logical errors. I don't use the Old Republic Dreadnaught and I see the Z-95 as something like a civilian/planetary gov. fighter not to be compared with military ships like the ARC-170. The prequels show that at least hyperspace and starfighter technology got a big boost during the Clone Wars.

The Aethersprite still needed a cumbersome docking ring for hyperspace travel. Lots of EU sources mention how OR-hyperdrives where much slower than in the movies.

Look at how starfighters developed over the original trilogy. Look at the Y-Wing and the A-Wing. If it all was so steady, how can designs be outdated?

>-q=p---
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The prequels show that at least hyperspace and starfighter technology got a big boost during the Clone Wars.

Starfighter tech, yes we all saw the boost there. But there was no apparant diffrence in HyperSpace Technology. And most sources quote "there is little diffrence." Plain and simple, the Correillians, and everyone else, have not made major improvments to the HyperSpace design, ever.

Quote:
Look at how starfighters developed over the original trilogy. Look at the Y-Wing and the A-Wing. If it all was so steady, how can designs be outdated?

Because the Empire first began limiting tech. Than they shut down certain corporations for producing "far too advanced" designs. Those designs fell into rebel hands, but there was no one producing more or making replacement parts.
Even after the fall of the Empire and the re-instatement of Incom, Incom kept looking back and saying "We can do better". Why? Because during the Clone Wars, they did do better. Much Better.
We see development working backwards, and than back forward in the Original.

In the prequels, Hyper Tech was pretty much the same.
An X-wing is three times the bulk of an Aethersprite, plenty of room for a hyperdrive.
An X-Wings Hyperdrive is VERY limited, compared to an Aethersprite, since the Aethersprite hooks up to a Hyperdrive usually used in larger ships, like freighters.

The X-Wing was outdated on the date it was made.

That is why things don't look so primitive 4000 years ago in KotOR.
That is why things are described as being pretty much the same in the Star Wars Galaxy 10,000 years ago.
That is why the only limit to the Old Republic 20,000 years ago, shortly after their founding, was size, not tech.

Because in the Star Wars Galaxy, tech barely changes. It is the way tech is used that changes wildly.
to finance my 'vette!
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Kotor a.s. Reply with quote

I guess it's a matter of belief. Things grow. That's a law of nature. I could imagine much more advanced tech, than the one presented in Star Wars. Sure: repulsor, blaster and hyperdrive have been around very long, but I think that the authors of the novels and games have no understanding, what can happen in 40,000 years, not even in 4,000 or 200.

I don't want to play in unrealistic settings.

>-q=p---
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laws of physics have their limits, and a lot of Star Wars technology skips around some of those laws.

Earth has had limited knowledge of science for a very long time, but we had a 4000 year period where tech was all the same. Only in recent centuries have we really been getting the hang of the basics of physics, and made a few large leaps. Despite these leaps, tech growth has begun to slow down again. We also have the capabilities to build many things that are just awfully expensive, so the giant, interplanetary Plasma Drive cruise ship just doesn't need built yet.
Ion Drives are currently one of our fastest engines.

Yes, the euphoria of our fast paced, changing world is neat, but you say you want realism. Realistically, you reach a limit and stop there.

I know I am coming off as hostile, and I apologize for it. I am still working on my people skills. But I am trying to help you. You see something wrong with the Star Wars galaxy and I am trying to tell you that it is perfectly normal. It is just my intention to help.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
An X-wing is three times the bulk of an Aethersprite, plenty of room for a hyperdrive.
An X-Wings Hyperdrive is VERY limited, compared to an Aethersprite, since the Aethersprite hooks up to a Hyperdrive usually used in larger ships, like freighters.

It should be pointed out that there were, indeed, a few advanced models of the Aethersprite that did actually carry an onboard hyperdrive. However, these were very limited in number and the hyperdrive was seen as being experimental. Check the Jedi Starfighter entry in the OS's databank if you don't believe me. But even with that info, it is still clear that the vast number of Aethersprites needed one of two things to move from system to system. The first and most obvious is the hyperspace transport ring. And the second is a mothership from which to launch.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technological admancement in Sci-fi, and the real world works like this: First you make something function at all, then you make it function taking up less space, then you make it better (which may increase size), then you make it smaller. It keeps cycling through those phases.

The problem is innovation and understanding. Few people really understand hyperspace, how and / or why it works. Improving tech that's hard to understand is difficult.

The Empire has controlled development of new and improved tech. If you have the better stuff, the enemy has little chance.

In rare situations the technology hits it's physics maximization; and then you have to find new physisics laws or change the entire route of tech. Think about power, we went from Franklin's key experiment to generating power. Some earlier methods included hydropower. Since then we've branched out to solar, thermal, nuclear, and fission. On one occasion I know of, man even had a brief success with Fussion. Unfortunetly, the lab results from the time I refer had not been replicatable last time I checked. The scientists couldn't replicate their results, which is a shame - they could have been rich.

The above example is to show for power alone, some methods become so inneficent that we have to find a completely different way to get a similar type result.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Earth has had limited knowledge of science for a very long time, but we had a 4000 year period where tech was all the same. Only in recent centuries have we really been getting the hang of the basics of physics, and made a few large leaps.

This discussion might blow the boundaries of a SW-gamers forum... Smile

If you go back 4000 years you end up in egypt. They were faily advanced for their time and had developed many of their signature technologies (bricks, colours, columns) over the centuries, slowly becoming better. 2000 years ago, we had the romans, who were still working with the same basic technologies (bricks, columns...) but had reached a much higher understanding of physics and a greater variety of things they could achieve. They mastered cement, invented water-proof mortar and concrete. They built the first mall. There was a LOT of advancement, but it was slower and based on the absolutely necessary.

If the romans had made trade contact with the chinese, the middle ages would have never happened. Imagine roman tech with chinese wisdom. Legions armed with guns. *shudders* ....but when the chinese delegation asked the Persians, what was behind the Persian empire, they said "Oh, err, nothing, wild animals and a mountain, that spits fire."

Around 1450 the european invented printing and Constantinopole - a city with vast, old libraries was overrun by the turks, sending waves of fugitives and many works of physics, philosophy and medicine into a europe, that has just taken the first step toward the age of information.

This is where information began to speed up. Around 1730 trains cut travelling times, so that you could travel from Denmark to Italy in 2 days. Information became faster again. Then came telephones, faxes, the internet. One revolution made the other obsulete, before it really ended.

Quote:
Despite these leaps, tech growth has begun to slow down again. We also have the capabilities to build many things that are just awfully expensive, so the giant, interplanetary Plasma Drive cruise ship just doesn't need built yet.
Ion Drives are currently one of our fastest engines.

I can't agree with those statements. Yes, we are past the age of discoveries. You won't discover another electricity tomorrow or invent another telephone, but they things we can do with the inventions of the 19th century multiply every year. In less than half a century we will have fusion reactors, a source of almost limitless energy, our information will travel roads of coherent light and most diseases will be forgotten horrors.

Now let's get back to where this started: You have a galaxy, that is at war often, so you'll ALWAYS need a bigger gun, better armor and faster communication.

Quote:
Yes, the euphoria of our fast paced, changing world is neat, but you say you want realism. Realistically, you reach a limit and stop there.

If you look back at the history of science: You reach a limit and try to find a way around it, so you can continue.

The heaviest hand-held blaster does 6D? Well, ok but maybe you can build something else, that does 7D, rendering blasters obsulete. Or maybe it's just a problem with the plasma emitter or the energy cells. It's always those small improvements, that lead to a bigger one - like those photon guns, they introduced in Episode II, still very expensive, but much more potent than blasters. The Geonosians shot with sound-based weapons, Jedi Knight I introduced the disruptor-rifle. Sound will obviously not work in space, but what about disruptors? Do mass-drivers ignore radiation shields?

The empire looked at enemies from backwater planets, that fought with (light-)pitchforks and (plasma-)torches, that's why they used a doctrine of many affordable and expendable ships. If they had been faced with a more advanced enemy, be sure the response would have been suitable.

The part about hyperdrives being slower "back then" is partly backed by EU-sources.

When the Sith escaped after the cataclysm they travelled a long time into an unknown space and remained there for centuries, before some unlucky scientists stumbled over Korriban. This means, that they had not discovered large portions of the Outer Rim back then.

Sure - I couldn't build you a functional hyperdrive, but I know if there's a Millennium Falcon, that does 1.5x lightspeed, then 2xlightspeed is possible.

...but there is almost no possibility, that a KotOR-era ship will ever encounter an X-Wing or Corellian Corvette, except maybe as deep space debris, you can just as well use their stats for convenient conversion.

>-q=p---
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really cool things you can do to tech in star wars to make it better. Most of the tech just doesn't come that way standard. (Look at Craken's rebel field guide.) The key issue here is the fact that the empire is being run as a dictatorship. The reason the founding fathers insisted that everyone have the right to bear arms was so that no one could invade America without fear that we had the basic requirements to defend ourselves and so that the people were armed to prevent the government from ever trying to oppress the people; if it did the citizens were armed to defend themselves.

In a dictatorship you strip the people of as much defenses as you can, make having weapons more difficult. Next you make them rely on you, the more to secure your need. If the government owns the gas, water, and electric company and you have no access (or limited access) to these supplies; you'd think twice before giving them a reason to cut you off from them. To remain in power you have to control the best tech, resources, and create fear in the population.

In Star Wars, anyone with good research or the leader of their field "vanishes". They end up in an imperial research facility, they chose between cooperation (building the research for the empire only) or death / enslavement. Knowing these things happen tend to make someone slow / stop research before they become a target, or do it all in hiding where no one prospers from it. Not to say advancement is non-existant, but it is slowed.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.

Last edited by Endwyn on Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. After the empire took over, new learning effectivly stopped. Yes, the empire did have many scientists nad made many advancements in ship and wepon technology. But most other feilds suffered and only the imperial civilzation gained from any advancement.

Once again, take a look at dictatorships. Many middle-east and african countries could be the most profitabe nations in the world, thanks to their natual rescourses (ie, diamonds, oil) but most of the poulation lives in poverty, and have been unable to contribute any advancements.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4000 years ago was 2000BC, when the romans showed up. All I have to say about that.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: