The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Old Republic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Old Republic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to tradition, it was 753 BC that Rome was founded. Another suggests Rome was founded 1100 BC. However, both of these are merely tradition and may not be acurate. In the early '80s it was believed that a Latin people were living in the area of Rome as early as the 700's BC but Rome was a simple farming community until about 600 BC. It wasn't until about 509 BC that the Roman republic was founded. Rome wasn't around in 2000 BC. Merely the land where Rome would be.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well crap man... either way, the point I was making that her dates were incorrect, and the problems start there.

But my dates wern't any better. Embarassed
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, her's were right. The ancient Egyptian King Menes in 3100 BC united upper and lower Egypt as one nation. So 4000 years ago would be 1,995 BC. This would put us in the Middle Kingdom period of Ancient Egypt.

Wanted Poster
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you're a history freak eh?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about like that. Though a little more modern than ancient.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, and the how much change was there from King Menes up until the Romans, as far as tech capabilities went... Not style, actual technology.
to finance my 'vette!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than likely wrong, but didn't they go from the bronze age to the iron age in that time?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wrong at all. They did indeed change one material... and bronze remained in wide use throughout the iron age, and not a single thing actually built was changed. Just one material became more common than previuosly.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Egyptians had engineering and surveying long before the Romans. They developed the roots of modern scientific method and had a decimal system. Cement actually began in Egypt rather than Rome and was reinvented by the Greeks and Baybalonians who made a harder mortar than the Romans. There is evidence that the Egyptians were among the first to use reservoirs for storing water when it was not plentiful. The Egyptians were preforming brain surgery rather succsesfully. The simple fact is, we're still learning how truely advanced the ancient world really was. That includes all ancient cultures.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my point, and let's not forget solid silver implants and joint replacments for in some mummies, all forensics pointing to it as a repair of a break at young or middle age that held well for decades of life.

Tech has changed VERY little... all the big leaps only just happened, and with certain limits, we are getting to the end, petering out in discoveries.

Star Wars is no diffrent.
to finance my 'vette!
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar to what hapened in the Dark Ages. Learning didn't stop, it just restarted a bit.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does one expect in technological changes, something so immensely different that it is clear technology is changing. That only occurs in short bursts. In the long run technology changes in incremental elements that are easily overlooked.

Wanted Poster
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Ignorance is heresy. Reply with quote

Quote:
Cement actually began in Egypt rather than Rome

Quote:
how much change was there from King Menes up until the Romans(?)

Cement was probably invented even earlier. The romans invented concrete. The Romans were the first culture who were able to transport water in pipelines from mountains into their cities - traversing valleys and canyons and even letting the water flow upwards. Let's forget for a moment, that the egyptians lived in much simpler structures and were unable to defend themselves because the limits of bronze didn't allow such inventions as the sword. The romans invented the carriage, arches, modern currency systems and - let me get back to it - concrete. With concrete the romans were able to build coppolas, towers, castells as well as fantastic palaces and arenas. The romans were the first known culture on earth to build water proof walls.

When western Rome was finally conquered by the northern hordes, the knowledge that could be saved was taken to Constantinopole, where it remained for the next 700 years - until it became Instanbul and the fugitives finally opened the ancient tomes to curious europeans - triggering the renaissance.

PROGRESS DOESN'T STOP! You have backlashes and dark times, but this can only be achieved by blocking the flow of information. Maybe the Galctic Empire *triggered* a dark age, but they certainly didn't suffer from it themselves, like the byzantine empire certainly didn't suffer from the european dark age. They suffered from moronic leaders and the wars they caused, but they had no dark age.

Look at the medium we use to have this debate: 20 years ago it was a three hour call to a distant city if you wanted to check your email. It was something for a bunch of freaks and large companies and universities. Look at the way the entire world has been revolutionized by computers. Progress doesn't stop. An empire can supress it, lock away knowledge and burn scientists, but progress doesn't stop.

When europe fell into its dark age, Japan saw its first kingdom emerging, India was a bubbling source of buddhist scolars and great art, southern China prospered under the Liang dynasty and became a great center of art and knowledge - the list goes on. It was a rather small part of the world, that suffered from the downfall of roman culture and knowledge.

>-q=p---
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, concrete was invented accidentally in Bedrock by Fred Flintstone. Mr. Slate took it over and named it after his daughter, Concretia. I thought everyone knew that... Laughing
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I know that was bad, but I just couldn't resist...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: