The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Custom races, broken, GM won't fix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Custom races, broken, GM won't fix Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Suggest they either play something like Spacemaster (like Rolemaster in space), or one of the D20 systems that seem to pop up like mushrooms.

I am thinknig we might try to play one ofthe actual Vampire RPGs at some point. The first time we tried one the GM was new, and thus it went off on a bad foot. She is really into vamps, so that might be a good way to compenstate if we get rid of the custom race.

Quote:
Perhaps you need to talk to both the GM and his girlfriend with the rest of the group there

Heh, kind of like an intervention? For our group dynamic, it would work best as a one-on-one scenario between me and the other GM. He prefers things that way, so for something that I have subtly brought up a couple times, I should take care of it how works best for him. Also, that way it does not cut into our gaming time, and the GM can then discuss our thoughts/desicions with his gf.

Quote:
Title would be Mythological Creature Templates

Although would be cool to see here, if you want to get others to put in thier ideas of fair and balanced vampires and other mythological templates, it most likely would work best as a new thread. Perhaps post the stats here, and if you want to get other templates or have more in mind, start a new thread withthat specific intent as well.

Thanks all.

~Tahlorn
K_Feldspar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the other players. See if they have the same opinion. Go on strike if they do. If he promises to do better then go back and make sure to bring him some beer as a reward. He'll need the beer because he'll have made his girlfriend angry. If he doesn't change, drink the beer, and GM a game yourself for the rest of your gamer's union.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK:

The outer rim book does not provide the best information. It leaves the motivation, ect of the angels unexplained. It outlines the world and what's happened to it since so many people crash there. It turns out that the angels are written up as a creature (a very inteligent creature I might add, only slightly less than an average human) and their only determinable goal is to cause ships to crash on their planet. How they chose ships to draw to the planet, how they draw them, and why they want to crash them all remains a mystery. There are "demons" on Iego that feed off the survivors once a year, taking some down to be "eaten". Not sure why the demons have to eat, the angels don't.

For the most part, it's useless info on any real background to what's going on. Your only hint that something bigger is at play is a star dragon has chosen to stay on Iego since before the old republic was formed. (And even then the dragon could be a little loopy. Massive inteligence does that sometimes.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reponse to the info from WotC. They just plain suck at making games. Do not mince words, they have no idea what they are doing. It is why they cannot print books in the same capacity as before. They even stopped all printing for about 6 months this year, sad thing when you are trying to launch an entire new series and campaign setting.

As for Talhorn and the horrible game with horrible races... damn man! You know what you need to do, as stated already, you have taken the advice. Good for you. Hope it all works out.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me see if I have this straight:
We have Angels
We have Demons
We have Vampires
We have Soul Sucking Rune Swords of Vampiric Might
We have Magic Armor and Weapons
We have Magic

And all of this was created by the GM for the benifit of his girlfriend, with his girlfriends aide. All of this is unbalanced. None of this is really Star Wars in nature. Throw in a few dragons, some abandoned castles, a giant monster or two, a Godzilla attack, and some battle robots and we got us a game of Rifts.

Really, these are not the hallmarks of a good GM. If he created these things solely to get his girlfriend to play, and it is at the expense of the rest of the group, then perhaps his girlfriend shouldn't play. Really, take the players, start a new group. This does not sound like a Star Wars game any longer, and it certainly doesn't sound like much fun. Perhaps his girlfriend should either leanr how to actually roleplay (i.e. using a book created character) or should retire from the group. What's worse is you mention her getting KOed in battle and losing equipment...how such powerful and unbalanced creatures end up KOed short of a herd of stampeding cyber-rancors is beyond me... but some mysterious mentor teleports to retrieve her los Uber equipment? Does something similar happen if your Jedi drops his lightsaber? or if your bounty hunter drops the blaster he's been modifying with CP? No? Then you really need to give the GM an ultimatum...as a whole group...when it will cut in to your game time, either he stops with the favoritism, or you all walk. You can find better GMs, trust me.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic they are using is the Yapi magic, so is book stuff, but the reason the characters know it and are not from that planet still confuse me. I don't think a primitive race would want to teach outsiders thier secrets.

For her getting taken down, it has to do with a couple things. First of all, power leads to overconfidence. Nuff said there. Also, when you make something for the entire group to have to team up against (when I GM, I have the tendency to have a big guy at the end who the entire group needs to help eachother defeat), a solid hit from it has the chance of downing someone of power, or if the character decides to abandon the group (another side issue) they will get ahead, and meet the thing by themselves.

I had been convicted by the GM's gf (and thus a bit by the GM) of slight favortism, for I let my GF create her upper level character to be related to a large book NPC. This was for a campaign where I wanted to see if making upper level characters worked out (if you live the hell, you get to play the characters in future missions). This was for a medieval fantasy game (Ironclaw), and my gf was a daughter of a powerful, infamous black mage. The reason I let her do this was not soley because she knew the system well, but she understood the consequences- she may get respect from fear, but also is hunted, hated, and has the risk every day of getting her neck slit in her sleep. None of the other players were ready for something like, and it gave her no real advantage rather than a neat backstory and a reputation. But for the other GM's gf, the favortism just seemed to be excessive for the purposes of the mentors and equiptment.

He and his girlfriend are old good friends, and the main thing we do with them is gaming, so I am going to do my best to resolve this peacefully and to still keep the group happy and together.

Going to talk to him hopefully this weekend. Here are going to be my points and such with him:

Angels-
Attribute dice are way too high for a PC race
No flaws/faults with them
Religious connotations
Way too powerful magic
Equiptment makes no sense, should allow for specializations rather than give bonuses

Vampies-
Attribute dice are way to high for a PC race [main issue]
Equiptment needs to be balanced
Feeding needs to be redone [live feeding, penalties for not feeding]
Need to be unable to use force

And I would like to state, for the record, that the GM and his gf are good gamers and friends, fun people and the like, and it is just this one issue that I have had a problem with, and it only recently has come up.

Thank you everyone for all of your input, suggestions, and the like. I will make sure to let you all know how it goes, iether good or bad.

~Tahlorn
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
Soniv,

I think the GM just named the races that because they have the look of what we would call Angels and Vampires; but I doubt he expected to make them true to the entire concept. I completely agree though that they don't have balancing points to counter-act the extreme bonuses. I only pointed the above out because I don't think the GM was going for a true to mythology versions of these creatures.

Morpheus Grifullkin,

He wan't looking for more overpovered races, but a solution to his GM allowing these things. I will however give you feedback on your creation.

You seem to want to make the Daemon / Demon (Deamon isn't a word) a symbiotic relationship with a host. As such, they are their own creature. They should have their own attributes, as should the host. The problem you get there is the possibility for someone to min/max both parts of the PC to the max effect. (Give the host max body attributes, min mental ones; give the symbiote max mental, min body attributes. A problem you want to avoid)

You version of attributes is beyond extreme, and not even done well. I only say this because if the attribute dice is 20D, then the PC should be 26D; or 24D and PC being 30D. The way you've written the attributes, there isn't a range - and I don't understand what you are doing with x4 or +3? If this is to the host, consider an average PC would have 3d in each attribute if leveled. So that would make the attributes (if you are doing this to the host stats):
DEX: 12D
KNO: 6D
PER: 6D
STR: 15D
MEC: 6D
TEC: 6D
That adds up to 51D of attributes, and if a PC made a host specificly for this transformation, they would max STR and DEX since those are multiplied.

As for the special abilities, why use Willpower for special effects? If you were going to have special powers, you should have each be an individual skill.

Next, the move is extreme and some of the abilities are way out there. The one that really concerns me is the biten by a symbiote to transform. It defeats the purpose of a symbiotic relationship - either it is a symbiotic relationship or it should be bitten by a daemon / demon.

If you really wanted to do that, I would build a race that was like the Go'uld from stargate. Obviously the players should play the tok'ra like group. They must chose at creation if they are going to control the host or sybiote. If the PC plays the host, as stats are per host race.

(Blended PC plays the Go'uld)
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEX: As host race
KNO: 2D/5D
PER: As host race
STR: As host race
MEC: 2D/5D
TEC: 2D/5D

Special: (All blended recieve)
Accelerated healing: The PC gets to make 2 healing rolls per day. The first is made 30-60 minutes after the damage has occured. The second roll can be made 2 hrs after the first.
Blended Knowledge: At creation only the PC may chose to distribute 3D betweenKno, Mec, or Tec skills. This represents a knowledge gained from the other. (If the PC plays the host, a symbiote skill or vice versa.)
Shared control of body: Only one mind can control the body. Each comunicates with the other constantly. If one wishes to "surface" they need meerly ask. The symbiote can however surpress the mind of the host. This is an opposed willpower roll. A sybiote who has taken an unwilling body can surpress the mind of the host so that the original consciousness is mearly a sielent observer to the actions occuring. To resurface the host mind must succeed at a very difficult willpower roll or be aided by outside influences.
Story Factor: While the PC controls one mind, they cannot control the other. Each is a distinct personality and consciousness sharing one physical shell. If so desired, the sybiote can surpress the host consciousness so fully it is unaware of any events occuring. Time may be "blacked out" or "lost". It is unknown if a host has ever so fully surpressed the symbiote's consciousness.

The above is more PC friendly. (Probably not perfect though, just better.)

Ok....The GM i game with does not allow this kind of stuff. I just made it to see if it was crap or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean to see if the creation you made was good or not, or if those types of power things were good or not?

It's a good sign your GM doesn't allow PC's to play over powered characters while others are strait from the book rules.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...Or he would have the other PC's kick my arse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Resolved (kind of) Reply with quote

Update on the situation.

The other GM's girlfriend was powergaming, as it should be obvious. THis also involved a few other weapon rules that everyone know how it worked, but for some reason she got to have them in a much more powerful form. After a few weeks of being subtle, I ended up being MUCH less subtle, pausing the game as a player to pull out the rules rather than privately discussing with the GM.
Then the GM decided that he was not going to allow any non-book characters for a while, as we had been steering far from the spirit of the system. The GF took this as personal strikes against her. Although this did happen mostly because of her characters (she only had 1 book chracter, and at least 7 non-book), it was not meant as a personal strike, though it did affect her the most. Due to this and the fact that gamnig had not been as much fun for her in the past few months (probably due to animosity from other players against the uber-powerful characters and equiptment), she decided to quit gaming.
Luckily for me and the rest of the group, her boyfriend decided to keep going, and just not have her in the game (he is the ring-leader / head of our group, so without him it would have completely fallen apart). So now we are down one player, but without the problems of the races and equiptment.

Problem solved, although I wish it did not involve losing a player.

~Tahlorn
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call that a happy ending!

Congratulation. And good gaming.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, happy for the group, maybe not so happy for the BF...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on his priorities. If he values her more highly than gaming, eventually she'll either likely nag him into quitting gaming altogether, or at least playing with some other group.

It sounds like it worked out good for this group, though.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very unfortunate when these types of situations arise. Specifically, I mean when a GMs girlfriend plays in a game, especially if she is either not in the spirit of that game, or does not like gaming. More often than not thsi will disrupt any game, as the girlfriend will constantly hound the GM for special favors, or special rules, and will take any rules descision against her personally. I know, I have been there, done that, still got bite marks to prove it.

While I can understand wanting to share hobbies and interests with significant others, both parties have to realize that RP isn't just about the GM and his girlfriend, but about the entire group playing. So, everyone needs to be treated fairly and equally. But just try explaining that using the same analogy of responsibility used for...say...a couple who work together somewhere.

Hopefully, this will not lead to the group falling apart for you. I know, after we through my GF out of a game, she kept nagging me to, "quit that childish hobby", and that just lead to other issues between us Sad
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Kage. But you're right- it's about the WHOLE group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: