The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Exciting New Uses for "Absorb/Dissipate Energy"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Exciting New Uses for "Absorb/Dissipate Energy" Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambrose82 wrote:
Quote:
say that The Force, like The Dark Side, has a will, reason, and plan for all life in the universe. The Force tries to create and grow, and take those that follow it to become part of it.

Aha! Now you've caught on to Lucases inconsistency on the nature of the Force... It went from being an energy field created by life (according to Obi Wan) capable of give and take (instructing(not perfectly) and being commanded) to having a will (according to Qui-Gon) and distributing prophecies about balance to the force (which seems odd, since by balance it meant the erradication of the Sith). So Lucas goes from an impersonal manipulatable energy contained in all life (pantheism) to a "being" with a will and a plan (theism).

For the sake of being technical, the Force is omnipresent as well as... I hesitate to say omnipresent, but certainly the general use of the term would fit. The force can have an effect on all matter and enrgy, but I don't think Lucas' initial intent was to personalize it. It was an energy which could be manipulated to achieve a result willed by the user. I think the concept was that the force showed probable futures, not always definite ones.

Endwyn, is the D6 system which you referred to online?

Um, that is NOT Lucases inconsistency. Dark Side has ALWAYS had a will. Is it really shocking for the Force to have a will too?

In the very first movie, when Obi-Wan was teaching Luke of the force, mention was made of the Force being able to control your actions when you let it flow through you. Yes, it also obeys your commands. But come on, is it really incosistent to say the force has a will? Would it be consistent and make any sense at all for the Dark Side to have a motive and goal, but not the Force?
to finance my 'vette!
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: balance to the force Reply with quote

My take on Ep I-III was that the jedi always assumed that "bring balance to the force" meant "Eradication of the sith," but this was due to their own arrogance and misunderstanding. In reality, Anakin brought balance to the force, by eradicating the jedi, and setting up a situation where there were only two on each side. Then Luke and Leia became available to tip the scales to one side or another. They happened to choose the Light side.

I know Vader eventually kills Palpatine, eliminating the sith, but that is more due to the actions of Luke than his own. I also realize that if you read the novels, there are many more jedi than two on each side, but I'm simply talking about the storyline in the movies here.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So Lucas goes from an impersonal manipulatable energy contained in all life (pantheism) to a "being" with a will and a plan (theism).

Actually, it didn't become a "being" at all. Rather, it became basically a bacteria (remember the midichlorians.)

But who's to say that it didn't have a will to begin with? It's documented that the Force has been known to pull Jedi to certain locations where their skills are needed. Does this not sound like a will to anyone? And if a Jedi is walking down a corridor, and is about to come into range of a blaster that's going to fire on him, but he isn't using Danger Sense, but gets a warning through the Force anyway (call it due to a successful Perception or Sense roll the GM just had him make) and blocks the laser bolt as it's fired, wouldn't that be the will of the Force as well? Someone struggling with being tempted to the dark side has to make saving throws or perform actions that the dark side dictates.There kind of HAS to be a will to both sides, if both sides can lead you to do certain things.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
These are some interesting applications of this power; and they make a whole lot of sense.

If a GM were so inclined, especially if this were being performed during a crucial time, and given the notion stated above that with enough time, efforts in TK should and could bring tremendous results, the Jedi performing this action could conceiveably store up a kind of Force reservoir- bonus Ds if you will- that could be used for something completely different. If this were being allowed, however, there ought to be some definite limits on it- no unlearned powers (unless the GM were being UBER generous that night), and the extra Ds MUST be used within a certain amount of time, or they simply bleed away into the Force.

It's something to consider, at any rate...

I have seen it where a gm allowed someone to make his own version of Ab/dis thta did that. Every 3d worth of 'damage' he absorbed gave him 1d worth of energy he could use ONCE... Kind of like a bishop thing (from the x men).
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If matter is just condensed energy, could one perhaps absorb, say, a sandwich?

Think of the possibilities! No more eating, immunity to all forms of attack, the ability to pass through solid objects...wow.

Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: