The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Three new force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Three new force powers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Three new force powers Reply with quote

So here are three new force powers I've been developing. I'd love any feedback or help in refining them...

1. Detect Falsehood (S)- Using this power the Jedi is able to detect wheter a person believes what he/she is saying. This power is usable with any form of verbal or visiual communication. The Jedi is not directly able to determine the truth, only whether or not the individual communicating believes what he/she is communicating. The Jedi determines falsehood by monitoring biological and mental clues expressed by the communicator. Power may be kept up for the duration of the communication.
Pre: life sense, life detection, receptive telepathy
Sense difficulty: Opposing character's Con roll, modified by relationship, proximity, and similarity or familiarity with species of affected character.

2. Clear Sight (S) - Using this pwer the Jedi is able to see clearly through gases, smoke, fog, haze and other particulate obstructions. Power is limited to the normal range of vision, but can help to clear atmospheric haze allowing the full extent of the Jedi's vision to be cleared. Does not allow the Jedi to see through solid objects. Power may be kept up.
Pre: Enhance Senses
Sense Difficulty: Very Easy modified by the density and depth of the gas.
+0 heat haze or normal atmosphere
+5 campfire smoke/ vehicle exhaust
+10 Blaster smoke (heavy firefight)/ dust cloud produced by moving vehicle (as through a desert)
+15 Smoke Grenade or gas jet
+20 burning oilfield/ Sandstorm
+25 Nebula

3. Induce Unconsciousness (C/A) Use of this power allows a Jedi to cause another to lose consciousness for an amount of time determined by the Jedi's success. The affected character is unharmed, but essentially succumbs to a trancelike state immediately falling to the ground. The character takes no damage, unless from incidental accidents like falling from a roof. The affected character is unconscious for the number of rounds equal to the amount by which the Jedi's roll exceeded the alter difficulty.
Pre: Hibernation trance, life detection, life sense
control diff: easy
Alter diff: opposing character's willpower roll.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of these, as written.

My only crticism might be required powers, but I honestly cannot think of any alternatives, so I suppose these are as good as they can get.

Well balanced, well thought of, and while someone could try these with the basic powers, the whole point of an advanced power is to have one roll for using several powers to make things easier and less complex. This accomplishes everything an advanced power is meant for nicely.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power #2 - Clear Sight is not really needed. A Jedi can use "shift sense" to shift a perception into a different type than normal. So the Jedi could shift signt to UV, IR, thermal, ect... So, depending on the situation and the view obstructer the Jedi could pick whichever range would best suit their needs.

#1 is cool, a similar fan-made power exists. You might want to look it up and compare it to yours. It's called detect lie.

It's cool that you took time to make these, as they are cool.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Induce Unconsciousness, I love it! Perfect for the pacifist Jedi!

"He pulls out a Blaster to fire at you in the crowded bar."

"If I pull my Lightsabre, and parry the blaster bolt, I could accidentily hit someone. I wave my hand at him, and Induce Unconsciousness."

*Rolls*

"He slumps to the ground, his blaster firing uselessly into the ceiling of the bar, lighting it up ever so quickly in a sickly red glow. The barkeep drops to the ground, shouting 'No Blasters! No Blasters!', until he realizes that there was only one shot."

"Guess he can't hold his Lum."
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Force Powers doc has powers that fill these purposes. I thought those powers were official. Shift Sense is not exactly what you describe in Clear Sight, but serves the same purpose. Then for Detect Falsehood there is Truth Sense, which is pretty much the same, and for Induce Unconciousness there's either Induce Sleep or Sensory Overload.
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Induce Unconsciousness Reply with quote

Induce Unconsciousness as you have written it is incredibly powerful. A character with 3 dice control and 3 dice alter could silently take out most opponents with this. The clone troops could never have taken the jedi temple if the padawans had been trained in this skill. And since there is no range or sight requirement, imagine how short starfighter battles would be. I would propose the following changes:

Control - easy, modified by relationship
Alter - opposing character's willpower roll, modified by proximity

(I now have a picture in my head of Vader spending a force point and the entire bridge crew of a capital ship slumping over.)
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Power #2 - Clear Sight is not really needed. A Jedi can use "shift sense" to shift a perception into a different type than normal. So the Jedi could shift signt to UV, IR, thermal, ect... So, depending on the situation and the view obstructer the Jedi could pick whichever range would best suit their needs.

A cloud of gas would also disrupt IR, thermal and UV as they too require the transmission of radiation through a medium. A medium congested with gasseous interference would affect these methods of perception as well, but perhaps to a lesser degree. With this power the Jedi would be able to see (or perceive) through a particulate cloud without loss of clarity.

Quote:
Actually, the Force Powers doc has powers that fill these purposes. I thought those powers were official. Shift Sense is not exactly what you describe in Clear Sight, but serves the same purpose. Then for Detect Falsehood there is Truth Sense, which is pretty much the same, and for Induce Unconciousness there's either Induce Sleep or Sensory Overload.

Didn't see it. I'll have to look it up.

Quote:
Induce Unconsciousness as you have written it is incredibly powerful. A character with 3 dice control and 3 dice alter could silently take out most opponents with this. The clone troops could never have taken the jedi temple if the padawans had been trained in this skill. And since there is no range or sight requirement, imagine how short starfighter battles would be. I would propose the following changes:

Control - easy, modified by relationship
Alter - opposing character's willpower roll, modified by proximity

Good ideas. I'll make the changes. Thanks to all for your responses. They are a help in refining these ideas.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are those powers I mentioned. I'm not saying they are better or worse, just that they already existed:

Shift Sense
Sense Difficulty: Moderate for simple phenomena (such as heat or simple scents); Difficult for more uncommon phenomena (such as comm frequencies, infrared radiation); Very Difficult for specific, complex phenomena (such as setting olfactory nerves to detect the presence of tibanna gas.)
This power may be kept "up".
Required Power: Magnify Senses
Time to Use: One minute. May be reduced in 10 second increments by increasing difficulty by one level per 10 second increment (Minimum time to use of 30 seconds).
Effect: The character may shift his or her senses as to detect phenomena of a different type than normal; shifting eyesight to the infrared spectrum, setting olfactory nerves to detect specific chemical combinations, or hearing frequencies above or below normal range for his or her species. This power counts as a "skill" use for determining die code penalties.
Please note that this power is exceptionally useful in some aspects, but fairly limited in others. For example a Jedi may detect comm frequencies, but that does not mean the Jedi can listen in on the transmissions. The Jedi will be able to detect that a transmission is present, but may not necessarily be able to locate the signal's source, and certainly will not be able to decode the information carried by the transmission.

Truth Sense
Sense Difficulty: Easy; modified by Relationship
Time to Use: One round
This power may be kept "up".
Effect: This allows the Jedi to sense whether a person believes what they are saying is true. It does not sense whether what they are saying is true in the overall reality; just whether the subject believes it or not. This is the Force equivalent of a lie-detector test.

Induced Sleep
Sense Difficulty: The target's Willpower, Stamina, or Control Modified by Relationship & Proximity
Alter Difficulty:
• Very Easy 1 Target
• Easy 2 Targets
• Moderate 4 Targets
• Difficult 8 Targets
• Very Diff 12 Targets
• Heroic 20+ Targets
Then, modify by:
• -10 if target is tired or has failed stamina roll.
• -5 if the user first uses Affect Mind to convince the target that they are tired.
• +0 if target is not actively doing something that requires complete attention.
• +5 if target is doing something that requires attention.
• +10 if target is actively doing something that requires attention.
• +20 If the target is actively engaged in combat or is in a combat situation.
Required Power: Dim Another's Senses, Affect Mind
Effect: Induced sleep allows a Jedi to put a target into a deep sleep, from which the target cannot be awakened while the power is in effect. Sleep lasts for 1D6 hours after this power is discontinued, however targets can be awakened before that time by natural means. If the Jedi or anyone "with" the Jedi harms the target while they are helpless, the Jedi receives a Dark Side Point. This power cannot affect Droids or creatures who do not require sleep.
This power can be kept "up" but the Jedi must make a new power roll whenever he adds or switches targets.

Sensory Overload
Sense Difficulty:
• Very Easy Target's Per = 1D - 2D
• Easy Target's Per = 3D - 4D
• Moderate Target's Per = 5D - 6D
• Difficult Target's Per = 7D+
Alter Difficulty: Target's Stamina roll modified by Relationship.
Required Powers: Magnify Senses, Projective Telepathy
Effect: Causes the target to experience a huge influx of stimuli, causing him to pass out.
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! Where would I find these powers listed? is there a URL you could link to or a site to direct me to?

Thanks again for posting them!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are from a Doc called Force Powers that has been floating around the net for a long time, containing a complete list of all force powers. I thought they were all official, but perhaps some of them are homemade.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good chunk of those are homemade in the force doc. Some of them are ones I could see WEG having printed themselves if they had kept the license, others can sometimes be way out there, powers that only people like the dark lady would have. It's a good list for the official, and "near official" powers. The crazy ones sometimes do fit a campaign, or aren't as bad as they first look when you read the exact effect or requirements to do it.

As for gas interfering with the sights I listed, now you've got me imagining a jedi who shifts sense to become daredevil. (Awe, the poor Jedi transformed himself into a sucky comic hero blockbuster flop? Silly Jedi.) Or even shift senses to have "force sight" like the one race in TotJ. Now that you bring up a point of interferrence affecting UV, IR, and thermal; I almost wonder if the Jedi wouldning be best off shifting to "force sight" unless he was fighting other force users or in a rather "strange" enviroment, at least force wise.
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Force Sight would fit in Shift Sense. Shift Sense is only for cvhanging your senses to another natural spectrum, not something else entirely.
ambrose82
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lists I have are official compilations and one or two house rules. I didn't see Force Sight. A cloud of dust would still interfere with a sonar based sense like Daredevil had. Even radar can be interfered with if the dust or smoke is of sufficient density to register as a close to solid mass. Clear Sight is pretty situationally specific and was influenced by Obi Wan and Qui-Gon battling the droids through the cloud of poison gas aboard the trade federation battleship at the beginning of EpI.

To be honest, I'm not thrilled with the whole "Force Powers" system. Seems to me the Force should be able to do just about anything with a sliding difficulty scale. I'm working on something along this line and will probably post it here in a rudimentary form at some point.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force sight isn't a force power. There is a race from the Tales of the Jedi comics, stated in the RPG book of the same name that didn't have regualr eyes. I believe their eyes were a milky white (could be wrong there), but they actually saw things through the force. It was a racial thing. So they were only blind in areas that dampened the force, or areas with massive force energy, as it would be the blinding light effect.

You probably don't have it, but if you look at any of the new D6 stuff, it has build your own effect charts. Space uses the same three mystic qualities, although two of them have new names. (I believe sense kept it's name.)
That's improbable?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're referring to the Miraluka, which have this special Force ability. They have no eyes whatsoever, not even eye-sockets. In order not to disturb normal humans, they wear pieces of cloth covering their "eyes".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: