The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun setting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Stun setting Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Stun setting Reply with quote

Hi!

As far as I can see in the rulebook using stun setting have no disadvantages at all. If the opponent becomes wounded or worse, he is stunned for 2D minutes.

I saw some other rules somewhere that made stun setting more moderate. Could anyone tell me where, please?

I my game I have made the following houserule:

"If you use the stun setting on a blaster the range is doubled."

This rule is made to make sure that the characters don´t use stun setting all the time.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other stun rules are in first edition I think (but I'm not sure at all)

Quote:
If you use the stun setting on a blaster the range is doubled
You mean 'the blaster range is halved' Question
(it makes sense IMHO that range is halved in stun setting since the ray seems to spread quickly (see beginning of episode 4) )

Otherwise stun setting will be always prefered to normal setting Very Happy

In my group we don't always use stun setting because we ruled that too much stun damage could result in a lobotomy (or at least in some severe nerve damage).
And that could be worse than death Embarassed
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ofcourse, the blaster range is halved Laughing

It is just easier to calculate the other way.

I am afraid that your "rule" would not stop the psyko players in my gaming group Wink
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the house rule that stun setting does as much damage as a normal blast. (ie, wounded, wounded twice, etc.) And when you reach incapacitated you go unconcious, just as you would with a normal blast, only you're not really injured. Oh yes, and another difference is that if you're not unconcious, your penalty is reduced by 1D per round. So you might be wounded twice from a stun blaster, but in two rounds you'll be ok.

It seems to have worked very well so far. The normal rules make stun blasters the ideal weapons...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
We use the house rule that stun setting does as much damage as a normal blast. (ie, wounded, wounded twice, etc.) And when you reach incapacitated you go unconcious, just as you would with a normal blast, only you're not really injured. Oh yes, and another difference is that if you're not unconcious, your penalty is reduced by 1D per round. So you might be wounded twice from a stun blaster, but in two rounds you'll be ok.

It seems to have worked very well so far. The normal rules make stun blasters the ideal weapons...

Yes, this is also how I do stun weapons, as it was the rules presented in the First Edition or the Rules Companion...but the first few books. It has served well, and makes stun effective while not overly dangerous. I also made a House rule, where if you score a "Kill" result on damage from a stun, it actually inflicts a wound (nerve damage, etc...)
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a house rule that when you went to stun the weapon recieved a +1D to hit and -1D to the damage roll. We used that because the circular wave ripple effect. The blast obviously has more "to hit" area, but to spread that energy out over more space would weaken the strength of it.

Not anything I've ever seen before or after we made it our house rule.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rule for stun. Made with help from another player.

Stun does as much dice of "stun" damage as the weapon has damage. Nothing else changes.

If you fail the stamina check vs. stun, you have just been stunned. No matter what you are out for a number of rounds based upon stamina checks, the difficulty based on the initial stun getting easier every second.
If in combat going round by round, the means after each round you get a check at -5 the starting difficulty.

If you get a penalty, followed by a complication to resist the initial stun damage, or any subsequent stun hit, random nerve based problem occurs. Generaly in the form of an arrest or seizure. Don't have a table, but just like with most things there is no table just a set of examples followed by "GMs discretion" and that is what I am using.

If you stun a person another time, only if your new stun result is higher than your first will the new stun result replace the old.

This has worked very well in game with all stun weapons and weapons with stun function.
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can add to the Stun Setting arguement was that, IIRC, we ruled that Oota's (The insane Rodian Bounty Hunter) Blaster had had his seized on "Kill" due to lack of useage.

It came up once.

"OK, now, we'll have to take him alive."

"But... I don't have any non-lethal weapons. Not my style."

"Blasters DO have a Stun setting."

"They do?"
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pilot that had rigged his blaster so that it didn't have a stun setting. Surprised the hell out of the Jedi when he switched it over and it still acted as lethal (he killed the guy he was shooting at).

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a pilot that had rigged his blaster so that it didn't have a stun setting. Surprised the hell out of the Jedi when he switched it over and it still acted as lethal (he killed the guy he was shooting at).

HA HA Very Happy

Funny stuff Orgaloth
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this argument a few times... And although i agree, many would say, since stun uses less ;power' than regular kill shots, it should make up for it in otherways. So rather than nerf it, they keep it the same.
And don't forget, the stun setting works just as well for the enemy! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the way it looks in Ep IV, I have ruled that stun setting only works at ranges of 10m or less. Otherwise I leave it as it is in the book. In Ep IV, the circles expand quickly. At ranges further than 10m or so they would be really big, and probably lose effectiveness.

I also rule that not all blasters have a stun setting, only the expensive ones like are procured by the military and law enforcement. Your everyday illegal saturday night special blaster doesn't have a stun setting. That's why they are cheap and relatively easy to find on the street. In my games, obtaining a blaster is quite difficult unless you are connected: to crime organizations, the law or the military. On top of that I rule that removing the stun setting from a blaster (by removing the components, which requires a Blaster Repair roll) increases the damage of the blaster by +1 (pip) with a successful Moderate Blaster Repair roll.

So it's easy to go down from a stun shot. 99% of the people who will blast you aren't doing it because they want to take you alive though, and 90% of the blasters being used by small time criminals are cheap ones with no stun setting anyway. Increasing damage by removing the stun setting makes some PC's take it off altogether, and the speeder-trunk sale blasters they carry usually don't have one to begin with. Reducing the range of all stun blasts to 10m or less means that most PC's won't bother with it unless they are TRYING to take someone alive.
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, would a stun blast affect a droid in anyway ? Perhaps the energy of the blast could disrupt their more delicate circuits temporarily.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to my knowledge...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt it, otherwise the user would constantly have to be conserned with where they were using it. If it affects droids you might as well say it affects all electronics; so using stun in a ship, building, or near any tech could be detrimental to the shooter's goals. Also if the stun setting has that effect on tech / droids then the gun would require additional shielding to protect itself; the guns do not appear to have that from the movies or diagrams in WEG and EU books.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: