The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Die Code Simplification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Die Code Simplification Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question then. What if I were to have a character, and I want to use up all the DSP's on every roll. Whether it was for evil or not.

Wouldn't that be a quick way to turn an evil dark jedi to good, since he will have few DSP's left now?

The way I read the rule, was that calling on the dark side gave the character a "free" force point to spend. It really isn't free, since there is the addition of a DSP added to the character. But in other words, you aren't spending a DSP to affect any rolls, you are spending the force point you gt when you call on the dark side.

I think DSP are considered a penalty, since the number is needed to determine if they turn evil or not. According to the second edition rules book, (not revised), it takes two adventures of atonement just to remove a single DSP. I would say spending them as a bonus is not all that much of a deterrant to do bad. Since essentially, you are getting double the bonus of good characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
According to the rules my numbers are right. A human's max attributte is 4D, a skills max starting level is 2D above the attribute, and you can put up to one dice in a specialization and recieve 3D for that specilation. When you buy a specialization it's starting die code (and cost) is based off the skill's die code, so when you build your character it's the same thing.

Now I'm not saying this kind of skill maximization behavior is acceptable for any situation, but there are occasions where it does fit a character concept to be that good at one skill. I've only really seen people do this in flying a ship - have a good MEC, take space transports or starfighter at 2D, and then specialize in thier ship. For our group it would be a different situation if someone was combat twinking this way with blaster or such.

As for DSP's:

According to the rules, yes you were doing it wrong. Don't think about it as penalizing the characters for doing the evil, think about it from the DS's perspective for a second. You have people running around, and the PC's are a big deal in the galaxy (either now or in their destiny), and when they're on the verge of falling, doing something evil - the dark side is there to tempt them to cross the line. Now they do pay for it, but the dark side is willing to seduce them over to the other side. Nothing is more tempting for a PC than the act of ultimate good they are trying to do, but is outside their ability....but the dark side is there to help them succeed. Why? Because the ends don't justify the means, using the dark side to do something good is a canceling effect - it's a good deed muddy by dark means. Sometimes the dark means far outway the good outcome.

No one in their right mind would say the holocaust was worth the advancements in medical science that were discovered. Don't think I think Hitler's intentions were for medical science; but advancements were made - breakthroughs that would still perhaps not have been made to this day because of ethical concerns of human testing. So are those good breakthroughs worth the loss of life? I doubt you'll find anyone who would say it was. This is a good example though in that the means do effect the value of the outcome.

Generally the two most common times a PC will call on the dark side is when they no longer have force points, or when a x2 multiplier just isn't enough. Spend a force point and a DSP and you either get a x3 or x4 multiplier depending on how you read the rule. Either way it's another kick up that could put certain actions in the realm of possible.

Still it's your game, you can use GM perogative on anything that you feel makes your game better.

You are reading that wrong. Spending the 1 pip to get a specialty places that specialty 1D higher than the base skill, or 3d higher than the attribute as most will spend 2d in the skill then take a specialty. Check out the rule book for the example they gave.

And thanks for the back up on the DSP thing...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll give it to you in R&E rules; but I'm used to playing it the way I described it. Must have been a house rule we made back before R&E.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that chart, it works out to less than average for the simplification... 3d = wild + 7.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, look at 4D - you get 11 + the wild die. Average rolls would be 3.5, odd numbers of dice roll an average of 3.5/dice + wild die; even ones roll 3.66666/dice + wild dice. So you are actually never at a disadvantage using this system.

The math is 4D = 11 + Wild dice; the 11 represents 3 dice: 11/3=3.6666

3D = 7 + Wild Die; the 7 represents 2 dice: 7/2=3.5
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.. Mybad. Thought it was 4d = 11 then add in the wild die..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: