The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial officers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Imperial officers. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Imperial officers. Reply with quote

In the books it makes mention, that storm troopers are imune to being bribed. But what about Imperial officers?

What would be a good ratio/percentage of them that would be open to bribes?

What would be an average figure they would take?

What would be the types of infractions they would overlook?

What ones would they NOT overlook, no matter how much credits are tossed at them?
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officers can be bribed (read GG:6) , and if you want, stormmies can too. GM thing, not a GL thing. Wink
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperial Officers are often given their positions through political means. Read that as bribes to higher-up officers.

I'm not saying all Imperial officers are corrupt, but it's the stereotype, and it didn't come about because of a vocal minority, either. But a very quiet majority.

So, when bribing an Imperial Officer, expect it to somewhat work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Stormies at the height of the Empire are brainwashed to the point where they can't be bribed. They're like Clonetroopers in that way, they live for the Empire and the Emperor! Maybe not in that order, either.

But, after Endor, *REAL* Stormies started becoming more and more scarce. So, more and more, they became just elete soldiers in Stormie armour. Then regular soldiers in Stormie armour. Then Militia in Stormie armour.

At those points, they'd be more and more open to bribes.

The amount would really depend on the person in question. Some might not even accept Credits, but want something for their collection, or some entertainment. There's a few stories where people have to fight in gladitorial matches for Imperial Officers who declair that "A Trail By Combat" is needed to prove innocence.

All depends on who you get.

As for what infractions they'd overlook. Different principals. Some might overlook outright murder if there was a good reason for it ("I shot him because he was a Rebel!" "Good boy! But make sure you just turn them in next time. He's a pamphlet on how to join the Stormtroopers!"), while the same guy won't let anyone pass for a smaller offence ("You're smuggling spice. Forget Kessel, you're getting SPACED!" "What???" "My Sister died of a Spice Overdose. You scum deserve worse than being spaced, but that's all I can give you.").

GM's discression, in other words.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, all of the above is great.

A recent one, bribe them with people they can use for entertainment or brainwash into more Stormies.

"How would you feel if everyone went around calling you 'White Stormy'?"
"Is there a... black, Stormy?"
"..................no..."
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be Pink Stormies!

"We worry about Pink Group."
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink is fine, it's chartruce and turquoise I am worried about.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the bribing rate would be dependent on where one is stationed and how by the book the officer is. If their not very by the book or particullay don't care about it, then chances are good that they may take less of a bribe. If they are so by the book that they have to ask Palpatine or their immediate permission just to hit the head even when off duty, then I doubt they can be bribed. And of course there is the aforementioned stationing. If their stationed on some backwater where it might be possible that their not only not going to get to see all too many, if any, luxuries and possibly might not see payment for a while if something should occur to the payroll before it can reach them, then if their already likely to take a bribe then they may take a smaller bribe just to get the credits. If their stationed on some really prime location that's considered one of the best places to get stationed, a place where there's all kinds of luxuries and not seeing ones pay for a while, beyond some punishment that may result in pay being withheld, is virtually impossible, then you can bet they'll probably require an even bigger bribe before they'd be willing to take one.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And always remember something about bribes.

Just because they take the money doesn't mean you can trust them.
to finance my 'vette!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial officers. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In the books it makes mention, that storm troopers are imune to being bribed. But what about Imperial officers?

Imperial officers can be bribed at the same rate as any other army's officers. I suspect it's not a very high percentage at all, since they're all about loyalty to the Emperor.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
And always remember something about bribes.

Just because they take the money doesn't mean you can trust them.

This is a very good point. Depending on the nature of the individual, he might take your bribe once, then turn you in. Or, he may take your bribe until a more lucrative source of extra income happens by, then turn you in.

You must remember that unlike Stormtroopers, Imperial Officers are actually allowed some free thought, so they can be bribed sometimes. However, above all they're looking out for number one, and they'd sell their own parents if it meant a ticket out of that backwater post they've landed in, or if it meant currying favor with the top brass.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, other than saying "just decide' or something (imo) as campy, how do you decide if this officer, or that one, is bribable? What a good bribe amount would be for infraction X....
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the infractions, you'd first want to look at how serious an infraction is before you start talking about a bribe amount. The less serious the infraction, the less you'd have to bribe.

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Well, on the infractions, you'd first want to look at how serious an infraction is before you start talking about a bribe amount. The less serious the infraction, the less you'd have to bribe.

Exactly. Next, you have to develop (or read up on) the back story for this particular officer. Is he on some backwater planet, assigned there because he screwed up, or opposed a superior officer, or performed any number of actions that would get him assigned to manning a listening post in Juneau, Alaska? Is he a junior officer who's saddled with some jerk of a CO or a greedy Moff who won't allow him free reign with the garrison he's supposed to be commanding? There's a host of plot ideas that would mean he's going to be very disgruntled with his job, and therefore more likely to bend or break rules. Perhaps he IS the greedy Moff or CO, and that's why he's bribable. He just likes money, and his Imperial military pay just isn't cutting it as far as he's concerned.

Then, you have to consider exactly who's bribing him. Your characters need to do some research here. They need to inquire to find out if this particular officer has any prejudices that need to either be played to or against. You don't want the Aqualish-hating Imp to be approached by two Aqualish who are attempting to bribe him. They'll end up without their money AND their freedom. Your characters should find that if they'll invest a little time into some research, their efforts will be rewarded. It might require some good roleplaying, but there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to at least uncover some rumors about the officer. From there they can begin to formulate a plan.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quick write up for HER (yes a she!!)

Commander Tox, was a strange one at the academy. Always looking for those who lied to the teachers, she was known as a snitch. This attracted the customs bureau and ISB to her, which, when she graduated, she allowed to barter to gain her services. She eventually went with ISB and stayed there for almost 7 years, before crossing to the Customs bureau. She loves her job there, finding those hauling illegal shipments or using forged paperwork. It is cause of her tenacity and inflexibility, in regards to bribes’ she has advanced so quickly to the rank of commander.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Here is a quick write up for HER (yes a she!!)

Commander Tox, was a strange one at the academy. Always looking for those who lied to the teachers, she was known as a snitch. This attracted the customs bureau and ISB to her, which, when she graduated, she allowed to barter to gain her services. She eventually went with ISB and stayed there for almost 7 years, before crossing to the Customs bureau. She loves her job there, finding those hauling illegal shipments or using forged paperwork. It is cause of her tenacity and inflexibility, in regards to bribes’ she has advanced so quickly to the rank of commander.

Ahh... no offense to HER... She had all that hair tucked up under her uniform cap... 8)
From your information here, she sounds like a brown-noser, not someone who's on the take (unless I'm misunderstanding here). In that case I'd HIGHLY recommend the players do some snooping to find out if she could possibly be bribed. Everything they find out (provided the rolls are good enough) should point to the fact that this woman loves to be bribed- so she can throw some scumbag into the brig. The only way I'd have any information to the contrary would be either for such a catastrophically dismal roll that they couldn't tell you how to spell 'cat' from the information they got, or if they ask someone who'd be out to get them, who would of course feed them misinformation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: