The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TK and grenades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> TK and grenades. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not allow absorb/disipate to counter a fragmentation grenade or bullets. TK would be a better skill, maybe.

I would allow absorb/disipate to counter a concussion grenade or force lightning.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they failed their Ab/dis against the FL, wout they then use their control (iirc) against it, as normal???
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control or perception, yes.
There would be no reduction for skill use.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Control or perception, yes.
There would be no reduction for skill use.

I thought those were penalised by MAPs just like everything else?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength can be used to resist damage multiple times in the same round without a multiple action penalty. Control/Perception, in this case, is being used to resist damage in the same way, so I would not reduce it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ab/dis is also listed as a way to resist damage, by absorbing it, and it is affected by MAPS. So why would their control/perception not be for resisting others?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I see absorb/dissipate as an action taken by the character - kinda like dodging. While Control/Perception is a resistance the attacker must overcome - the defender isn't actually doing anything - kinda like an armour bonus.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:
When you try to control someone with TK, the target can resist by adding their Control or Perception to your base difficulty, it has nothing to do with Strength. I think that should be rolled every round as the person is constantly trying to break free from the TK's grasp. Unless it breaks free, it can't perform dodges, parries maybe, with an increased difficulty.

Telekinesis doesn't actually let you "control" people, only levitate according to the rules. Although the 2nd R&E rulebook does say to resist with Perception or control I have always disagreed as Telekinesis isn't affecting the mind, it is overpowering the body, and should be under strength. Control is an appropriate call, but for attribute resistance I feel grappling, wrestling, pinning, or forcing movement (as in using the person like a puppet with TK) should fall under overpowering their strength. I see this as making much more sense.

I've read the expanded universe where a jedi had memorized the exact outlay of r2d2 (children of the jedi) and so he could posese the droid. If a jedi had that power and did it with grenades he could have them blow up. Or with Telekinesis He could just do a force push to the person, such as the Jedi's in the new movies do.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, with TK a person could do a Force Push on someone... but that's not the same as controlling them. It's simply applying an outside force to move them, rather than taking over their actions from inside and making them move on their own.

Also, there's at least one Force power (Electronic Manipulation, I believe) that allowed that individual to take over R2D2. A regular grenade doesn't have electronics inside; just a simple fuse activated when the pin is pulled and the lever released. For thermal detonators, however, things are a little different. It might be possible to achieve such an effect with them, but to affect a regular grenade it would have to be a straight TK roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point. And the kid was Irek Imarsen, Roganda's son, another person called the Hand of palpaltine, though she was more of a concubine..

And Ireks power over a droid/electronics worked if he was able to get a look at the schematics for it. Which is why after Chewie rewired R2, he was unable to control R2 again. So if a TD is 'wired' the same through all of them, and he learned the schematic "layout" for one... i could see him using the power against another TD..

Though on a side note, i remember from that novel, the other people with Roganda, saying that this was the first time a "jedi's" powers were pushed/used in this manner....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's been a long time since I read a lot of these novels. I'm going to have to go through them all again now... Shocked
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I'm not saying that "energy is energy is energy". There are obviously differences in the many forms energy takes. I'm just saying that the power name is Absorb/Dissipate Energy. Not "Absorb/Dissipate Kinetic Energy" or "Absorb/Dissipate Physical Energy." It just says ENERGY. Granted, the things the book lists as examples are issues directly affecting the Force user. However, they're listed as both the benchmarks and as comparable levels of energy. It doesn't specify that you can or can't affect this or that type of energy.

Umm...yes it does. It lists specific types of energy. Physical and kinnetic energy are a beast of a whole different color. Even in physics, Thermal energy has far more in common with, say, electrical energy than any of the listed forms have in common with kinnetic energy. Let's not get into a physics debate though.
Quote:
And if a Jedi can absorb a blaster bolt and turn that around and channel it into a shield that begins to BLOCK said blaster bolts, it would seem then that he has the ability to change energy into different forms.

Where under the powers description does it give this ability to channel and create shields? Shocked I must have missed that! Please, page reference it?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll admit that I read that one in I, Jedi. Corran Horn took a stinger bolt from a remote, absorbed the energy, then began channeling that energy into a shield. It wasn't in a WEG book, so I guess at this point it depends on what you take as canon and what you don't.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gives me an idea... to come up with a new force power, to show what Corran did...

Or better yet. Why don't we have a competition for that..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not under the purview of Absorb/Dissipate, I'd simply call it Absorb/Channel Energy or Absorb/Redirect Energy. Then the power name might be a little more descriptive of what's going on, and the description itself would have to be a lot more specific about what's being done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: