The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Royal Guard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Royal Guard Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Royal Guard Reply with quote

Someone care to explain to me (according to official sources) how the Royal Guard (who is human) has 5D dexterity? Confused
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genetic engineering... duh
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was I supposed to know that? Its not like its frequently mentioned. Evil or Very Mad
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink sorry about the duh, but i'm pretty sure it's genetic engineering/cloning type stuffs
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S’ok, I just have not seen an official reason as to why their dexterity was as high as it was. I wasn’t sure whether it was cybernetics, bioengineering, or some loophole in the rules that allowed humans to go higher than 4D in a stat.

Because I already have a player who wants to increase his dexterity to the same level (eventually), but I was not sure how it would stand officially. Confused
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell him without cybernetic enhancement, and the possibility of losing his character to the darkside it's not likely
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thats the official stance?
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's really no other way to improve an attribute over the species maximum.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, now I can tell my player to just save his quid.
S.L.A.M.
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that WEG thought that if they gave a Royal Guard 5D dex he would still kick @$$ in his armour.

5D Dex take away the -1D Dex penalty still gives the Royal Guard 4D Dex.

But in later books there is a rule stating that if someone spends a long time in their armour they negate the -1D penalty.

Guess they did not think this through.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when they talk about people that lose the -1D dex penalty it's generally stormtroopers who are almost always in armor.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation I just read something I'd never noticed before. The Revised and Expanded rules allow characters to boost attributes beyond the species maximum!
Quote:
Improving Attributes. Characters may improve an attribute one pip at a time. The Character Point cost is the number before the "D" times 10.
The training time is one week per Character Point spent if the character has a teacher. Without a teacher, the training time is two weeks per Character Point. A character must train to improve an attribute, but the training time is reduced one day per additional Character Point spent (minimum of one week training).
When a character improves an attribute one pip, all skills under that attribute (except advanced skills) also increase by one pip.

Example: Thannik wants to improve his Knowledge attribute from 2D+2 to 3D. It costs 20 Character Points and takes 20 weeks of training if he has a teacher.
When his Knowledge improves to 3D, all of his Knowledge skills also go up by one pip: alien species: Wookiees, goes from 3D+2 to 4D.

There is a limit to how high an attribute can go - a person can only be so smart or so strong. At the end of the training time, the character rolls the new attribute die code. The gamemaster must roll the attribute's maximum (as listed in the species description in "Aliens").
If the character's roll is equal to or less than the gamemaster's die roll, the character's attribute goes up.
If the character's roll is higher, the attribute doesn't go up and the character gets half of the Character Points back.

Example: A player's human character has a Dexterity of 4D and wants to improve it to 4D+1. After spending 40 Character Points and training, the player rolls the new Dexterity of 4D+1 and gets a 17.
The gamemaster sees that the human maximum Dexterity is 4D; he rolls 4D and gets a 15.
The character's Dexterity does not improve, but the character gets 20 Character Points back. If the player had rolled less than a 15, the Dexterity would have increased to 4D+1.

It would be difficult, time-consuming and risky, but I guess it is possible.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention it at an earlier time, but I figured not many would save that many cps. Besides, you found the exact page when I didn't bother to look in the book to make sure. Some of my older players have improved their attributes, but not past the maximum.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improving attributes is a pain in the butt...
it takes forever to save CP and then forever in game to train.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering how much the royal guards have really great stats, I would assum then that they didn't just have 120 character points (4d-5d) lying idley by. I would go with the enhancments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: