The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Question on Favorite way to start a game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Question on Favorite way to start a game? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It also helps out ensuring they care about one another, and work as a group. As well as gives a concrete reason for them to know one another.

Exactly. It encourages the group to take ownership of each other's development.

On the Falcon, flying through hyperspace, Obi-Wan taught Luke. He didn't just sit in a corner, feeling his way through the Force or polishing his lightsaber. He did something constructive with his time. This is a perfect chance for characters to teach each other. Besides: in order to improve a skill, you must use it. Teaching others is a great way to improve one's own skills; quite often the teacher can learn a whole lot from the student, if they're open to it. A good GM will be open to that and suitably reward players for helping each other out.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching others is also a good excuse to develop "Instruction" as a skill. I always hold a PC cannot teach another PC a skill above his own skill level or Instruction, whichever is less.

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I recall, at least for Force skills, the teacher must have at least 3D to teach it.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. And it's reasonable to apply that idea to all other skills as well. I do.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sparks (the group i game with currently) we have it, that to teach a skill (or force power) you have to have 2d higher in their base attribute (or for force powers, have 4d in the skill)..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way you slice it, you have to: 1) Have enough D in the skill that you have at least some modicum of control and ability in it, and 2) More than your student. (Yeah, they're both no-brainers, but you'd be surprised how many people will try to use their 2D Ship Repair to try to teach the mook who just joined up with 1D...)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this question I have no easy answer. I start all of my adventures, and all of my campaigns slightly differently. When first begining a new campaign (especially in a fantasy setting) I like to open with a narrative that describes the land and the turmoil (much the way that Gandalph did in the old animated Hobit...okay, I'm a sucker for those things). Other times I start with NPC interaction setting the events that will guide and shape the campaign. I have opened with cutscenes describing behind the scenes events, and matter of fact descriptives of the shape of the universe and world. Yes, many, many times I have started in media res.

A lot of what determines where an adventure begins is where my last one left off (my adventures are not always episodic, and are much more serialistic). In one game, the adventure ended with a sky-barge flying away from the docking bay of a repulsor-city, right as a climactic battle with terrorists and slavers was ending, and the Jedi was hanging from the railing, lightsaber in hand. Next adventure I opened with a description of that same scene, and immediately turned to the Jedi's player and described the wind whipping past his face as the Air-barge picked up speed and descended below the clouds.

There are so many variables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: