The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Illusions/Holograms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Illusions/Holograms. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Illusions/Holograms. Reply with quote

OK. Lets say baddie #1, has a corridor, leading to his chamber. In it, he has the walls and ceiling, lined with lights, and every third is a holo projector. These work with the one near the end of the corridor, and create the 'illusion' that there is a pair of Heavy E webs. The 'troopers' manning them, fire (but will miss), and the pcs decide to close in as quickly as poss while dodging.
How many rolls would you give them to notice it is just a hologram?
What skill would it be?
What would you have the difficulty be?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a difficulty of 8 or 10 on a perception roll, if it's a good hologram. Give a small bonus if any of the players think that an e-web is unusual for the situation.

Once a PC has a reason to beleive they are holograms, they get a willpower roll, same DC as before. Of course, if they are presented with undeniable evidence that they are holograms, they don't need a roll at all. (Unless a PC is unfamiliar with holograms or other illusions.)
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If judging by the way holograms look in the movies, holograms aren't that convincing. Maybe a result of how they could use technology at the time to create the effect for movies, but I would think the holograms may be easy to spot.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the movie holograms are used for communications, which explains a bit of why they don't look all that good.

Wanted Poster
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, communications was the most often. But they used it for theholographic chess table on the Milenium Falcon. And the signs on Coruscant were often Holographic, and they either were not intended to look real, but like a see through hologram.

Maybe it it's just a special effect, and was supposed to look like a light show, instead of a real object. Maybe it "felt" more high tech that way for movie purposes.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the M falcon you'd have to remember that it was a cheap commercial game and the empire had been restricting good techs. As for billboards, anyone in advertising can tell you that there is a cost comparison between efficency and cost to provide the cheapest, but most effective advertising buck....perhaps billboards don't have to be "real" to be effective?
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, in some of the novels, more realistic Holograms are described as being in use. They are just expensive due to the precision and time involved in making them, and are considered a serious luxury.

I think if a player gets within a few meters, he is going to notice the hologrpahic blasts arn't hitting quite right, and the troopers are acting funny for such close range.
Other than that, the 10 on the rating to notice they are holograms is pretty good.
to finance my 'vette!
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another application that wasn't cheap games, and not communications. Remember the Alliance meeting room, where they planned to attack the Death Star, the hologram of the Death star was pretty much the same way other holograms were. The Imperial Holograms, (Imperial military grade) were just as obvious, with the scan lines and such.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not trying to say any of the holograms in the movies were all that "realistic", but we're trying to tell you why they weren't since the EU does have several instances of good holograms. In WEG alone, "Graveyard of Alderaan" and "Pirates and Privateers" both make use of the tech. In P&P, the cost is astronomical - a good reason the rebelion would settle for a "standard" holoprojector over forking out what would likely be half a million for a "realistic" version. The amount of supplies, ships, ect that would be forfitted for one "realistic" holoprojector makes it much more valuable to have the supplies.
That's improbable?
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I understand the need for costs. I just haven't seen any of the EU stuff on this. I'll have to check out those two you listed. I have the hard copy of Graveyard of Alderaan, and I just got the PDF of Pirates, and Privateers.
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: realistic holograms Reply with quote

Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters

Page 88 under the description of the Doubler Suit:

Quote:
Model: Modified Corelidyne Holographic Projector Doubler Suit
Type: Human-sized three-dimensional imaging system
Skill: Computer Programming/repair (Difficult difficulty to properly operate doubler imaging application; if the programming roll fails, the flaws will be immediately evident the first time the doubler image is used)
Cost: 30,000
Availability: 4, X
Game Notes: Once programmed, an Easy Mechanical roll will allow projection of a lifelike image duplicating the character. The image can be projected in any direction, up to 10 meters away. The operating charactershould secretly inform the gamemaster of attempts to project the holo image, specifying location and distance relative to the true individual. If a successful roll is made, all others will see the apparent image of original character projected as previously indicated. Viewers must make a Very Difficult Perception or Search roll to discover the true nature of the image (at a range of 50 meters or more; for every 10 meters closer to the target, reduce the difficulty by one level).

So what I am seeing here is:

Good holograms are very expensive, very hard to get, very hard to program, and not very effective closer than 20 meters. The sighting distance chart for noticing the fake would be:

10m Very Easy
20m Easy
30m Moderate
40m Difficult
50m Very Difficult
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a forwarning, there is some CRAZY tech in Graveyard of Alderaan, so much so it does undermine the "realistic holograph" part of it. They are as mentioned, possible, expensive, and usualy not great at close distances. I would assume that if you allowed really realistic ones the price would be astronomical.
That's improbable?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just decide that they have developed Star Trek level holograms, and skip StarWars all together.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek level holograms, in Star Wars... whew. There is something close.

Imagine the 30,000c hologram, no imagine it is 10 times bigger and better, making it 300,000c. Now, to create a holodeck like on star trek you need one of those 300,000c holograms in every square of that room.

15 by 15, on four walls. Total of 900 holoprojectors. Now 900 times 300,000c is...

A Grand total of 270,000,000c for a Star Trek styled holodeck.

But you are still missing the force field projectors necessary to make them solid.
to finance my 'vette!
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of just having hologram technology on that level, so that it would be more feasable for someone to use such a tactic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: