The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to force imperial troops to surrender?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to force imperial troops to surrender? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How to force imperial troops to surrender?
Command
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Con
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Intimidate
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Persuation
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Blaster
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. We explore ideas, we do not argue. Dissent is acceptable at the Rancor Pit (at least until Mr. Lucas logs on).
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Ditto. We explore ideas, we do not argue. Dissent is acceptable at the Rancor Pit (at least until Mr. Lucas logs on).

Yeah, well, I could see that opening up a whole new bag of womprats... Shocked
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take on the whole Stormy/Clone debate. I draw all of my conclusions from what I have seen in the movies and from my own common sense. (I've only read about 15 SW novels, and a handful of the Dark Horse Comics)

First off, how many clones did the Kamino cloners create? We really don't know, but it certainly had to be in the hundreds of thousands... if not more. I've always assumed that the cloning facilities on Kamino were shut down at some point. Eighteen years go by... there certainly HAD to be a ton of the clones left at that point... hence I tend to think that most of the Stormies in Ep4 were clones... I also tend to follow my own logic and say that as the timeline approaches Ep6, there are fewer and fewer clones left.

I tend to also say that, if you look hard, you can see less discipline and more individuality in the Stormies by Ep6.

Perhaps those two casual-speaking Stormies on the Dstar in Ep4 were truly not clones... or maybe they were clones who were just in a relaxed state. We don't know that the clones never displayed any individual charcter or personality... nor do we know if they were wiped of any personality... we simply know that they were genetically bred to accept orders and fulfill their duty without question.

In the end... if you are one to say that all the Stormies in Ep4-6 were not clones, then what happened to all of them?

For the most part, I'm like Volar, I tend to look directly to the movies to answer stuff like this... then fill in the gaps with common sense. We all know what George thinks of all the rest. Smile
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Clones Reply with quote

I've personally always felt that the stormtroopers were clones. I formed that belief when I was very young, and I doubt anything Lucas or anyone else says will change that. I reconcile the fact that they are not all the same height by suspending disbelief, and accepting that the characters on the screen are actors.

We don't know how many clones were created. If Kamino was closed down, it was likely done by the Empire, and they would certainly have taken the technologies they could. The Empire could easily have been making their own clones to replace the fallen ones. Look at the trooper complement on the death star(s), and the trooper complement on the star destroyers. Consider how many planets there are, and how many troops you need to hold a planet, especially against a rebellion. Then consider that these stormtroopers age, and you're not going to get more than 20-30 good years of service out of them (barring longevity breakthroughs not mentioned in the movies).

I don't think the number of stormtroopers is in the hundereds of thousands, I think it's in the hundereds of millions, perhaps more. The scale of the universe demands it.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the clones? They died in battle or got too old, that's what. Remember that they were made with growth acceleration, if I remember correctly, they age 3x faster than a human. So by the Rebellion era, the Clone Wars clones would be at least 60 years old or so... I can imagine a few still operational, but the bulk of stormies would have to be regular recruits.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
What happened to the clones? They died in battle or got too old, that's what. Remember that they were made with growth acceleration, if I remember correctly, they age 3x faster than a human. So by the Rebellion era, the Clone Wars clones would be at least 60 years old or so... I can imagine a few still operational, but the bulk of stormies would have to be regular recruits.

Yes, they would be. The Empire declared cloning illegal- which of course didn't stop Palpatine from stocking his own cloning center on Wayland, but that's beside the point. He made it impossible for someone else to raise a clone army with which to defeat him.

And if I'm not mistaken, the clone army was only a couple hundred thousand troops. While this statement is likely correct,
Quote:
I don't think the number of stormtroopers is in the hundereds of thousands, I think it's in the hundereds of millions, perhaps more. The scale of the universe demands it.
it's more an evidence of the vast conscription the Empire enforced. Remember, when the Empire took people away as political prisoners, they quite often separated the families up. Anyone deemed "salvageable" was sent off to Imperial service- most often as a trooper recruit.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for me to weigh-in on this issue.

The movies do present direct proof that the Stormtroopers are not clones:

1. They don't speak with a Jango Fett accent.
2. 100% of all clones were Jango Fett clones (except Boba Fett).
3. In no movie does any Stormtrooper ever speak with a Jango Fett accent.
4. In no movie is any clone ever shown to exist besides Jango Fett clones.

So, Stormtroopers are not clones. EU material supports this as well, reinforcing the movies, not contradicting them.

So now that we've cleared that bit up, back to the debate about surrendering. I think it would be near impossible to coerce Stormtroopers to surrender. Near, but not impossible. Right now in the USA we have troops like those two Delta Force operators in Mogadishu who fought at 100:1 odds to the last bullet. If real humans can do that, Sormtroopers are certainly capable of at least that much after their indoctrination. So forcing stomtroopers to surrender under NORMAL conditions is not possible (in my opinion). However, since Stormtroopers are actually people, anything can happen. Indoctrination doesn't work on everyone. Look at Davin Felth. He changed his mind, without leaving the Corps. He would be possible to coerce into surrendering. Now imagine 5 years from then, Davin is a lieutenant. He might be gathering a bunch of other Stormtroopers near him that feel the same way. So, it's possible, however unlikely, that Stormtroopers might surrender.

Now as for Imperial Army troopers, they are not the cream of the crop like Stormtroopers are. They probably have families at home. They probably hate being a minnow in the shark tank of Imperial bureacracy, and are just in the military to serve a tour and get the benefits. Sure, they're loyal. But they aren't going to lay down their lives for nothing. All wars end. If you end up a POW, it's better than being dead. Some day, like German fighter pilot Erich Hartmann, you might get to see your family again, even if you have to endure years of slave labor and torture. And, now cut that with a good dose of how benevolent the people are that you're surrendering to. The rebels aren't likely to murder or torture surrending Imperial troopers. Those citizens out there that the rebels are fighting, they have friends and relatives in the Imperial military. Slaughtering your enemies has never been a trademark of the "good guys". So I think Imperial Army troopers, under NORMAL conditions, would pretty readily surrender, if their situation did indeed seem hopeless. But if it were an even fight, and the Imps had no REASON to surrender, I think they'd choose to take their chances with a shootout. They key here is giving the Imps:

a) The impression that their situation is hopeless.
b) A damn good reason to surrender.

Con is definitly the way to go for reason A if it's not the truth. Even if it's not though, and enterprising Reb commander can give the Imps the impression that he's got a lot more men than he really does. Like getting on the comlink and saying LOUDLY "HQ this is 3rd squad, we've encountered a enemy force about a third our number. We've got 1st and 2nd squads flanking them now. Should we attack or allow them to surrender?" For reason B you might have to get a bit more dramatic. If the firefight is going to happen in a populated area for example, the Imps might agree to back off without actually laying down arms. Or if they were standing in a fuel depot or an ammo dump. The bottom line is that trained, confident military troops don't just surrender because they got surprised. You need a better reason than "Throw down your guns, we have the initiative."

Scott
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: clones Reply with quote

I had no intention of going back to this, but I can't let this go by, sorry guys.

Quote:
The movies do present direct proof that the Stormtroopers are not clones:

1. They don't speak with a Jango Fett accent.
2. 100% of all clones were Jango Fett clones (except Boba Fett).
3. In no movie does any Stormtrooper ever speak with a Jango Fett accent.
4. In no movie is any clone ever shown to exist besides Jango Fett clones.

So, Stormtroopers are not clones.

That's a lot of numbers to tell me that Lucas hadn't met Temuera Morrison back in 1977. Not that I think he would have used him even if he had known.

Accents are almost purely environmental (some genetic speech impediments excluded). When people move to a new area, they often pick up a new accent. Since Jango didn't interact with them while they were growing, it wouldn't make sense for them to speak with his accent.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the whole accent thing is a very poor argument..... Boba Fett didn't have a Jango accent up until last year......
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other point that let me think stomies are not clones is that Empire use forced conscription.

Why trying to force people to serve as a trooper if you have clone capability ?

I consider Stromtroopers resistant to bribe or other opportunities but not immune because they are humans. Difficulty should be "very difficult" or "heroic" which means impossible for most of people in the galaxy.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're going with official rules, though:

2nd Edition R+E wrote:
Imperial Stormtroopers cannot be bribed. They can be tricked, conned, intimidated and, of course, killed, but bribing one is like trying to teach a rancor table manners.

I tend to agree with this. I see a (regular) Stormtrooper as being totally subservient to and indoctrinated by the Empire. There are examples of former troopers joining the Rebellion, but even then, it was for idealistic reasons, or being abandoned, or otherwise having their entire persona changed, rather than a simple transfer of credits.

That being said, the best way to get a stormtrooper, short of stunning them and binding them while they're out, is to convince them that fighting any more would be a futile gesture, resulting only in their deaths, without any glory for the Empire. They have to be convinced that fighting is pointless, not simply bought off. After all, why not simply kill the foolish Rebel offering money in exchange for a surrender? That would surely bring more glory and praise to the Empire than accepting the money.

A quasi-bribe would have to be mostly persuasion; even this is still quite difficult, as stormtroopers are quite ready, eager, even, to give their lives for the Empire. The best bet is to appeal to fear. Nobody, save for a droid, can truly be fearless.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, now cut that with a good dose of how benevolent the people are that you're surrendering to. The rebels aren't likely to murder or torture surrending Imperial troopers. Those citizens out there that the rebels are fighting, they have friends and relatives in the Imperial military. Slaughtering your enemies has never been a trademark of the "good guys".

You have to remember, though, that stormies undergo INTENSIVE indoctrination. A big part of that is being subjected to the same Imperial propaganda machine that the rest of the Empire is inundated with. The Rebels are portrayed as thieving, cold-blooded murderers, and lawless scoundrels who are bucking the rightful system of government. A stormtrooper receives this exponentially more than the average citizen. Therefore, they would have no logical reason to think that they'd be treated fairly or humanely. For all they know, surrendering would be handing themselves over to the very torture that the Empire was perpetrating. So it would take a practically Heroic roll to convince them that the Rebellion was actually the "good guys." Unless, that is, one or more of the troopers had friends/relatives in the Rebellion and were getting constant information feeds from them. Of course, then the trooper would have to explain why he hadn't turned them in in the first place, which is a whole new bag of worms...
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember, though, that stormies undergo INTENSIVE indoctrination. A big part of that is being subjected to the same Imperial propaganda machine that the rest of the Empire is inundated with. The Rebels are portrayed as thieving, cold-blooded murderers, and lawless scoundrels who are bucking the rightful system of government. ...SNIP... [/quote]

That part of my post was about Imperial Army troopers, not Stormtroopers. The original poster was talking about Imperial Army troopers so I thought I'd throw in a comparrison with Stormtroopers just because they got entangled in the discussion, but the whole idea is that the surrendering Imperials would be Army, not Stormies.

Some people disagree with my citing Jango's accent as proof that Stormtroopers are not clones. Hey, I agree with you guys, it's a stretch, but you can't deny that it's canon. It's a fact according to the movies, so it's inherently irrefutable.

But even so, accent or no accent, if George had intended for them to be clones it would be easy to record the same man's voice for every Stormtrooper. The fact that he didn't is a clear indication to me that he meant to show that they were in fact people in the service of the empire. Leia says to Luke "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" But she doesn't look the least bit surprised by it. If everyone knew that the Stormtroopers were all exactly the same height, it would have been a big surprise to see a short one. Not to mention that all the Death Star crew didn't seem to think it was a big deal either.

That's my opinion, at least. Everyone is entitled to their own.

I'd also like to add that this forum is all about an RPG. So, if you want Stormtroopers to be clones, then just make it so! If not, then make it some other way. As a GM you can make the universe any way you want, within what your players will tolerate. It's all about what will be most fun in your game really, not about canon vs EU. The facts mean nothing![/i]
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was much better put scott, and you also have a very convincing argument with the issue of Luke's height.

I just think it's a whole lot more interesting to have stormies as recruits instead of clones, it opens up a lot more options.
Demona
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just hate it when you beat a dead horse for 3 pages then someone else has to put in their opinion Razz

Yea...I'm the someone else.

A few quick things. Poke me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Boba Fett was a clone. Just an unaltered clone with no growth hormones.

Scott that was a pretty good arguement with the issue about Luke's height. Luke was a really short guy in all the movies. I'm mildly suprised Han didn't call him halfpint.
But Leia could have just been used to bigger beefier troopers. A stereotype if you will. For example...I am a pretty short person. And when I went to tech school to learn heavy equipment operation Many of my fellow students would harass me asking if I needed a booster seat or help reaching the pedals. Most of the students were pretty big guys and most of them were at least a half a foot taller then me, and then they see me a short girl who had trouble hiking my leg high enough to reach the bottom step of a bulldozer.

There is something I am curious about. In EP 1-3 all the clone officers were clones. But in EP 4-6 they obviously not clones. If the stormies ARE clones then why aren't the officers clones. In my opinion normal officers would be much easier to corrupt then clones, and the less corruption the smoothier the Empire would run.

Ok I am done Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: