The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Massive Space Battles...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Massive Space Battles... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the thanks go to you! You, and Vanion, and all the reasonable GMs I've been meeting on this site who are dedicated to making the experience fun AND perhaps even survivable.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For extremely large battles, space or otherwise, I use amixture of script, cinematic narration, and individual encounter scenes. That is, I loosely script the battle way ahead of times, and even roll out some of the battle to get a feel for how it will go. Then, based off of this pre-roll, I will begin to narrate the battle to the players, describing key moments in the fighting, and allowing them to "get into the action". I will use key elements from the pre-rolled, scripted battle to describe possible turning points and major encounters in the batttle. By allowing the players to affect major points of the battle, they can change it's course, while still keeping the game fast and furious and reducing the overwhelming die rolling. I will have several smaller encounters, and several major scene encounters that alter the battle, everything else will be narrated from pre-rolled or extrapolated information.

To actual roll out large conflict I find it is nescessary to minimize the die rolls. I make extensive use of the Combined action charts (making a roll for the ships officers at the beginning of the turn). I use the rules presented for Capital Ships in the Star Wars Rules Companion and under these rules I treat fighter squadrons as 1 ship to reduce die rolls. I often roll smaller ships together into squadrons using combined actions. This allows me to undertake enormous battles with relative speed, and get somewhat accurate results. I track damage for squadrons/platoons as if they were a single entity, applying the damage effects to the combined actions chart... when a Squadron/Platoon has become "Incapacited" it's command structure is broken, and many of the squad are disorganized or fleeing... it may rally with another "Incapacited" squadron to form a "wounded" squadron, etc...

It's all fast and dirty house rules, but they work overall, and it really reflects the confusion of a grand battle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: