The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D20 STAR WARS RPG dying?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> D20 STAR WARS RPG dying? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, GM'ing is what you make of it I guess.

That is the crux of it. We can debate till Doomsday the virtues of D6 vs. D20. Some people will simply never be won over to the other side. That's fine. But you hit it right on the head: GMing (and gaming in general) is what YOU, the individual, make of it. Some of us rely heavily on modules and resources, others simply take the core book and make up their own stuff, occasionally sprinkling in a stat or two from some compendium or other. Either way, as long as the GM is enjoying himself, that will go a long way toward making sure the players enjoy themselves, and the cycle will continue from there.
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that WOTC d20 system lost the feel for the Star Wars Universe. And yes imagination is the key. Although myself and my players have quite a few of the WEG books we dont neccesarily need them. We use many of the places and people from the novels and were quite happy inventing stats and/or rules for them.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
...the star wars license isn't the gold mine it once was.

I respectfully disagree. WEG made the RPG work by capturing the feel of the movie. People like the movies. Players like the D6 RPG. But players don't like the d20 RPG. This has to do with WotC's mismanagement of the license - not any failure of Star Wars. WEG understood the dream. WotC only tried to milk a cash cow.

Endwyn wrote:
You have to remember when WEG started there wasn't much out there for Star Wars fans.more movies, ect.

True. Yet WEG turned it into one of the best RPGs ever; maybe THE best RPG ever. However WotC, with far more material to work with, can't make it work. Further proof of where the error lies.

Long live D6!
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I heard a rumor that the liscense from Lucas only let WotC produce a limited number of Star Wars products each year. And, as WotC is now making a Star Wars minatures game, which is more profitable, they decided to concentrate their efforts there and abandon the RPG line.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Solo wrote:
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I heard a rumor that the liscense from Lucas only let WotC produce a limited number of Star Wars products each year. And, as WotC is now making a Star Wars minatures game, which is more profitable, they decided to concentrate their efforts there and abandon the RPG line.

That seems to be more because they decided on a way that would make the RPG less profitable without even realizing it. When WEG had the liscense, not very many people had access to the internet. In fact, until my senior year in high school, I didn't know it even exsisted until I learned we had at least one computer in the whole school hooked up to the net. And it wasn't until two years later that I was even able to first use the net. Because of this, WEG had to release new versions of older books with the updates in them when the second edition was released. WotC didn't bother doing that, putting the updates for the books on their website. Worse yet was the fact that they put some new material up on their website rather than putting it in a new sourcebook. Some material was preview, but when you have other material that could have been put into a sourcebook instead of being a web special, you loose money for offering it for free. And for those who may not be able to access the web on a regular basis and those can not get these freebies or updates, you loose money by not releaseing newer version of the older books when you release a new version of the game.

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they had the bud of a decent idea, but didn't think it through to any real conclusions. They just said, "Hey, that'd be cool" and ran with it, not properly planning it out.

Or it could have been a bum steer, but they still didn't plan it all the way to the logical ends, so the result is the same.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they just decided, "This isn't making money, and we're getting into miniatures now, so we'll focus completely on that."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Either way, I still prefer WEG D6 anyway, so it's all good for me anyway! Razz
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to run every campaign idea of mine in D6. D20 is dead weight.

I'll start publishing D6 games and D6 supplements and even D6 Star Wars products within the near future.

Yes, I know what I am doing, don't freak out and tell me how dangrous it is. I have a plan. Twisted Evil
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ALWAYS a good thing to have a plan. But do you have a backup? Laughing
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive so. Though there are some eventualities I have trouble coming up with a solid back-up for.

When it comes to the legal system, sometimes the big powerful guy can simply hold out on you, or subvert the system all togethor. I am having trouble thinking of a way to combat that, as I am unsure of WotC's full capabilities and George Lucas' current state of decadence.

I can sure win a court-room battle for what I am prepared to do... it's a pure financial battle I am worried about.
to finance my 'vette!
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is legal until you charge money. Once you charge money and make a few dollars off selling Star Wars Merchendise, you are breaking the law. There is no way to win in court. I garuntee you that. Ask Dr. Dre, he recreated a similar sound for his 2001 album that sounded really close to the THX sound. He had to pay over a million in damages. Imagine what would happen for using the Star Wars brand without permission.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Dre's lawyers suck, than. How did George's argue that the simple noise was doing anything to cut into THX or Lucasfilms profits. Where was the harm?

And harm can be done by not charging money and distributing alone. How can a person make money off of something that someone else gives away for free?

So, Dr. Dre was an idiot for losing his case, and I just gave an example of how I could make no money and still have to pay money. Oh yes, I got all the basics covered.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Dr. Dre's lawyers suck, than. How did George's argue that the simple noise was doing anything to cut into THX or Lucasfilms profits. Where was the harm?

The THX sound is trademarked, which means that coming up with a sound that's very close to it must result in payment to Lucas just to pay it. Just how many legal bases there truely are one may not know until they actually come up agaisnt them.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly it'd less about the law and more about who can afford the better lawyers. There are so many laws still on the books that no longer apply / are actualy used / enforced.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: