The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D20 STAR WARS RPG dying?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> D20 STAR WARS RPG dying? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no huge supporter of the switch from WEG to WotC by any means, and I've never played a d20 game. However, I really care about WotC putting out more books. If the WotC Star Wars fails, then that will be a nail in the coffin for Star Wars Roleplaying altogether.

Gry and others have converted a lot of stats from d20. Also, we won't have any bits of "fluff" coming out about new locations, creatures, and the goings on in the galaxy (granted, WotC fluff is far inferior to WEG, but it's something). I've actually used some things from a couple of sourcebooks in my games.

If WotC fails, then one of two things will happen, either someone else will pick up the licence, or SWRPG dies on the table. Frankly, I'm not sure that the game could survive another system change. You can be sure that WEG will not be picking Star Wars back up.

Call me a heretic if you like, but when WotC prints their Saga Edition of the Star Wars Roleplaying game, I'll probably pick it up.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call you a heretic; I can see your logic. It's kinda like the situation with politicians and rock stars; even bad publicity is still publicity, which is what they're all after in the first place.

And while this site may or may not be the be-all, end-all of SWD6 sites (and certainly isn't the only one out there), I'd like to think that word of mouth from those of us here and on other sites would keep this wonderful RPG from dying out. There are simply too many people out there who have done too much work on this stuff to let it fade away just because WotC wasn't preferred like WEG is.

I give more credit to the die-hards out there in la-la land to believe this institution would just curl up and die. Wink

Game on, brothers and sisters!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cheshire. The only situation in which I would be glad to see Wizards' Star Wars RPG line die is if I knew WEG would pick it back up. Since that is surely not the case, I would very much like to have Wizards producing new books. There's always something useful in there for a D6er, even if it's just some stats for conversion.

However, the thing is, Wizards Star Wars RPG line already is dead! Their last book was released precisely TWO years ago. Since then they've had some golden opportunities to release new material based on smash hits like Ep3, KOTOR, Clone Wars, etc. Yet they did nothing more than to release a few stats on their website. To me, that's a dead line. Alright, maybe a seriously comatose one, which folks are just waiting to pull the plug.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they're not even waiting to actively pull the plug... They might be simply waiting for people to just lose interest, letting it fade away into nothingness. Rolling Eyes
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from problems with WOTC in general, I just don't like the mechanics of D20 Star Wars. It is already dead, last I heard, they will continue to invest in the minis, but nothing for the RPG. Unfortunately, the minis and the RPG are part of the same license, so until WOTC stops producing the minis (which I do like), there will likely be no SWRPG.

I disagree that it wouldn't survive another system change. Star Wars did well when WEG produced it because they produced quality material. WOTC's stuff was inferior, didn't sell as well, and that is precisely why it isn't supported any more. If someone else got the license and showed the care for the material that WEG did, it would be successful. I have seen fan made rules for Star Wars in GURPS and other systems, the demand is out there.

Personally, if we eventually do get a new game, I'd like to see a Unisystem version. Eden Studios did great with their Buffy and Angel games, as well as Army of Darkness, and I've been a fan of Witchcraft, Armageddon and Conspiracy X for years, and I'm currently falling in love with All Flesh Must Be Eaten. Both Classic and Cinematic Unisystem would be a good fit for Star Wars, and Eden Studios shows a lot of love for the systems they've licensed. Their release schedule sometimes leaves much to be desired, but the licensed stuff seems a bit prompter.

Star Wars is a guaranteed money-maker in almost every form, when done right. Someone will do it when/if WOTC loses the license, assuming Lucasfilm licenses it again.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing beyond what they post on their website, and even that is extremely sparse now when ity comes to new stuff beyond the miniatures. I like to check there for stats to convert and they just recently posted a rules update to their revised corebook.

Wanted Poster
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Holonetters have noticed in Amazon.com that a Saga Edition is coming out at 2007.

Uhhh... what is a "Saga Edition" anyway?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
Uhhh... what is a "Saga Edition" anyway?

Sounds like a marketing ploy, actually.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just going to cover the entire six episodes... but just as likely simply meant as a marketing ploy.

Which will work, I'm sure.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saga edition is ep 1-3 boxset. It won't be until next year that they will bring out all 6 in one boxset.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Probably just going to cover the entire six episodes... but just as likely simply meant as a marketing ploy.

Maybe, but I was reading a post by Stephens talking about his experience writing the book. There should be some new content if this is true. Anyway, it's a long time away, and no one will know the truth until the authors are released from their NDAs.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would DEFINITELY be cool to have some new information to check out...
Malus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New information is always fun Smile

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Obi-Wan Kenobi
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been quite a bit of additional information come out about Saga Edition lately. It really seems that they are improving the system. They are redoing the way force powers work so there is just one skill called "Use the Force". They are also combining a lot of the skills like sneak and hide so you don't have to spend points seperatly and effectively have more point to spend. I was planning on using this edition for my upcoming campaign, then came to my senses and came back to D6.
Malus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is I really enjoy playing D&D but the d20 SW just doesnt work. I have played several D&D characters and really enjoy the gameplay, but only tried one SW char. on the d20 system as I couldnt seem to enjoy the game. I have never played on the d6 system yet but am awaiting a write in in Darthomer09's Bloodred Empire PBP and am looking forward to playing in this much talked about system. I'm sure that I will enjoy this game after listening to all of you and following the game for the past several weeks. I certaintly wont miss the d20 SW although it would greatly sadden me if D&D changed its ways.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: