The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Do you allow players the opportunity to alter history?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Do you allow players the opportunity to alter history? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PCs never altered the SW universe* becasue I ran a campaign set 25 years after Endor. They did rarely interact with the movie characters, but there was no worry on my part of altering the universe.

I ran that campaign for 9 years and now we are doing something different. The new campaign is set 3 years before ANH. One PC is actually playing the father of his PC in the future. So there's lots of potential to screw things up.

However, several years ago, I introduced the idea of the time travel and the multiverse in my SW campaign (hey, after several years of the same campaign, you tend to impletment some pretty crazy ideas) so it's simple for me to explain away any problems.

* NOTE: Only the SW movies are canon for my universe.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I recently created the father of MY favorite PC. I'm just waiting for the right era game to run him in.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like I answered a thread just like this at length not so long agao...wow.
In a word, yes. This is the meat and potatoes of role playing, allowing players the chance to alter the story. I believe this has come to be know as an Infinities style campaign. If I could remember what the other thread was, I'd link to it.

*Edit*
Ah, yes, here it is, a good read:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=610&start=15
Wait, that's not the one I thought...Though that is still a good read on alternate views of the SW Universe.
This was what I was thinking of:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=629&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Last edited by KageRyu on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:41 am; edited 3 times in total
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, unless he has been trained to do something like that, how can he be certain he is indeed shutting down?>?>?

Yoda wrote:
Control, control, you must learn control!

An unwritten rule in my games, and something I have always done with the force:
A force user can sense another force user with a successful Sense Roll. Difficulty is 10, with an inverse modifier for Die codes in force skills (the stronger the force user, the easier to sense). A force user can try to get a rough idea of someone's strength in the force (much harder) and whether it's skill (i.e. Force Skills) or raw force power (lots of force points). I never required this to be a power, as it simply makes sense.
Also, I always allowed Jedi to "Resist" this with a control roll (as control is their mastery of their internal force), adding their control to the difficulty if desired. Again, no power write ups, it just made sense.

I feel this still makes sense and is in keeping with the "Force Ripples" mentioned in the rulesbook, and the inate ability of even Force Sensitives to sense things (a force sensitive might use perception at a higher difficulty).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Well, unless he has been trained to do something like that, how can he be certain he is indeed shutting down?>?>?

Yoda wrote:
Control, control, you must learn control!

An unwritten rule in my games, and something I have always done with the force:
A force user can sense another force user with a successful Sense Roll. Difficulty is 10, with an inverse modifier for Die codes in force skills (the stronger the force user, the easier to sense). A force user can try to get a rough idea of someone's strength in the force (much harder) and whether it's skill (i.e. Force Skills) or raw force power (lots of force points). I never required this to be a power, as it simply makes sense.
Also, I always allowed Jedi to "Resist" this with a control roll (as control is their mastery of their internal force), adding their control to the difficulty if desired. Again, no power write ups, it just made sense.

I feel this still makes sense and is in keeping with the "Force Ripples" mentioned in the rulesbook, and the inate ability of even Force Sensitives to sense things (a force sensitive might use perception at a higher difficulty).

Seems like that would make the sense force potential power useless then....
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Seems like that would make the sense force potential power useless then....

Yup, but as the TotJ companion was only recently been added to my collection, I was previously unaware. Even being aware, I find the sense force power defeats a great deal of what was implied as the basic function of the Sense skill. Even so, shift senses previously was usable to detect, sense, or see the force in a way. And even with Sense force, or Shift senses, a force user could add his control to the difficulty, as this precedent is well established.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup, but as the TotJ companion was only recently been added to my collection, I was previously unaware. Even being aware, I find the sense force power defeats a great deal of what was implied as the basic function of the Sense skill.

Thank you!!! That's what I'm saying. There are just certain things that are implied as part and parcel of each of the Force skills; with Sense, it's obviously Sensing the Force outside onesself. And since you have to be taught how to open yourself up to the Force, it stands to reason that you'd just retrace your steps backwards to close yourself back down.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fare enough....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda also think that Sensing is done somewhat unconsciously by those who've done it for awhile. That would be how Obi-Wan doubled over when Alderaan was destroyed, or the Jedi students on Yavin 4 were all hit hard when Carida was destroyed after Kyp Durron having caused its sun to go nova. They weren't necessarily even actively sensing, but were affected by disturbances in the Force. These people just become so attuned to the Force that they don't have to be actually searching to sense certain things.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I kinda also think that Sensing is done somewhat unconsciously by those who've done it for awhile. That would be how Obi-Wan doubled over when Alderaan was destroyed, or the Jedi students on Yavin 4 were all hit hard when Carida was destroyed after Kyp Durron having caused its sun to go nova. They weren't necessarily even actively sensing, but were affected by disturbances in the Force. These people just become so attuned to the Force that they don't have to be actually searching to sense certain things.

Agreed. For significant disturbances in the force, I have often either called for a Sense roll from force users, willing or not, or simply told them they felt a disturbance. Then, to clarify the nature of it, they would have to actively use Sense. It works rather well.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Kage. And the Force-sensitives or users don't even have to be very skilled to sense major disturbances. Like I said, when Kyp vaped the Caridan sun, ALL the students on Yavin 4 were doubled over in agony- including Tionne, arguably the least-skilled one of the bunch. From the get-go it was made clear that she had very little potential for strength in the Force, and yet she felt it as keenly as the rest of them.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards back to playing out scenes from the movies, or affecting the history;

My group and myself would be unable to enjoy being run in a scene from the movies. We as players already know what will happen, and thus lack motivation to do anything. We avoid using out of game knowledge, but when you know every piece of the story, every event that will occur and thus not be a surprise, it is impossible to not let it affect your actions. The main GM had been run in the battle of Endor down on the planet surface, and all the characters just sat back and did nothing, because they as players knew that they were not needed to seal victory, and thus lacked any sort of motivation. Why go risk your characters life when thier actions are pointless to the outcome?

And for altering history / story line, that would get very complicated very quickly. We tend to time jump, playing one mission after the fall of the empire, another at its peak, and yet another when the republic rules strong. Keeping track of all the changes would be difficult. We use the movies as a backdrop, a way for us to know the tech level and the political workings, but not as a basis for our missions / campaigns.

Then again, we enjoy the movies but are not obsessed over it, and thus may not feel the need to be part of it as much as others may.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd call it obsession, personally. I don't see it as any different than playing any of the video games, really. Like in X-wing, you end up helping see the Death Star plans safely to Leia's ship. Or in Dark Forces, you actually nab them as Kyle Katarn. It's cool to have parts like that in the grand scheme of things.

But I also think it's fun to explore different possibilities by altering events in the timeline... It's interesting to see how differently things could have turned out.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of like a history that happens in the background. So far none of the gm's that we've had have done a rebel campaign. Granted that might be changing soon, but the story happens around them. It's all about when they start timeline wise in the universe.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. You can have a whole range of events to center your campaign around if you want to, or your GM can simply list certain events to let you know the approximate time your campaign takes place in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: