The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armeggedon/Deep impact, Star wars style...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Armeggedon/Deep impact, Star wars style... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Armeggedon/Deep impact, Star wars style... Reply with quote

Lets say we have a planet threatning asteroid ala armegeddon coming towards one of the rebels safe worlds.... Their only resources at the time to combat it, are the pcs and their ship(s)....

A) how much damage do you think would need to be done to cause the asteroid to 'shift' course?

B) do you think they would have an easier time of 'drilling'??

How big do you think an asteroid would need to be to cause a large city to be destroyed??
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just a city to be destroyed, I'd say no more than 100m diameter. But then again, I'm not meteorologist.

As for moving it off course, it depends on how soon the pary gets there. If they have a few days, they could easily get the rock to land in an unpopulated area or in the ocean. With a bit of effort they could make it miss the plantet, or have it burn up or bounce off the atmosphere. But again, that depends on the mass of the rock.

I think tractor beams would be the most effective, assuming that it's 1 solid rock. If it's chunky or dusty, then blasting it apart and vaporizing the bigger peiced would probably do.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meterologist studies weather.
Astrophysicist studies rocks and junk moving through space. Junk is the technical term.

In Star Wars the ability to move planet smashing asteroids is almost basic. This includes using them to attack planets. We see examples of this in the thrawn series, and from pirates.
to finance my 'vette!
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractor Beam...
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to give you an idea of what metor can do...

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

enjoy Wink

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Boomer"]Meterologist studies weather.
Astrophysicist studies rocks and junk moving through space. Junk is the technical term.quote]

"...And now the nightly asteroid report, straight from our News-8 Reporter Drone..." Laughing
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Armeggedon/Deep impact, Star wars style... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
...how much damage do you think would need to be done to cause the asteroid to 'shift' course?

There may be other answers; If the PCs have a tractor beam, they could pull the asteroid out of it's path so it would miss the planet. This might be a good time to call for an Imperial star destroyer. (Let the Empire have the credit if it saves lives.)

The city might take no damage if it has a city or planetary deflector shield. If the planet they're rescuing has nuclear (or antimatter conversion) technology, it may be possible to reduce the asteroid to small pieces which the deflector shields can handle.

Hmmmm, I wonder what kind of roll would be needed to use telekenesis...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- it SHOULD be Very Easy; there's practically no weight in space, right? Laughing

But seriously, I'd think the roll wouldn't have to be too terribly high. The only real determining factor would be if the character was a whiny little whelp like Luke was when he had to pull his X-Wing out of the muck. If he could've lifted an X-WING with his low stats in regular gravity, surely an asteroid would be easier in zero-g...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planetary deflectors and high yield missile weaponry could probably reduce an asteroid to bits and knock it away harmlessly.

It might take a team of blockade runners using tractor beams and lasers a while to merely shift it's course.

A Jedi using telekinesis, I would say that no matter what the strength, it is really a matter of time, effort, and faith.
Luke was frikin pulling that X-Wing up, he just gave up before he did it.
Yoda wasn't moving any faster at it, he held back from using the same wrenching power he used in the fight with Darth Tyranis. But Yoda kept it up until the X-Wing was out.

I would say, an asteroid had a difficulty of 50 or 100, and a Jedi can add plus 1 to his result per round to try and move the asteroid. It would take him probably an hour before he than took hold of th asteroid, and began moving it, and than finally managed to get it the hell out of the way.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give the astroid that high of a difficulty at all. If you're just moving it off course, then your only adjusting the trajectory, like pushing it from the right while letting it keep it's velocity. TK difficulties are based on weight, and in space your dealing with near weightlessness, so the difficulty shouldn't be too bad - just would take several rounds to adjust the trajectory enough.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if weight means present weight, and in 0G everything is considered weightless for the purposes of Telekinesis, you just made Jedi omnipotent in space battles as they now need a roll of 0 to affect everything.
to finance my 'vette!
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is still mass and inertia, even in 0G.

In 0G you don't have to move object against gravity but against their own mass and velocity.

So moving an asteroid going fast in space is IMHO much more difficult than moving the same amount of rock in a standard gravity.

Sure you could take time, but maybe the asteroid will hit the planet before ?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Yes, but if weight means present weight, and in 0G everything is considered weightless for the purposes of Telekinesis, you just made Jedi omnipotent in space battles as they now need a roll of 0 to affect everything.

Valid point.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:

I don't think it should be that easy (despite my humor otherwise...) I do think it shouldn't be too terribly difficult, but if it becomes an issue a GM could always throw in the issue Luke had...

LS: I don't believe it!
Yoda: That is why you fail.

At least randomize for that possbility with a die roll. Beat the roll or increase the difficulty number. That would allow for a little more difficulty without making it an astronomical roll.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, guys...that was a rhetorical question...a joke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: