The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armeggedon/Deep impact, Star wars style...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Armeggedon/Deep impact, Star wars style... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's really a big concern to the PCs, then it's too late to move it. Once gravity causes impressive acceleration, it will be too late.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of you don't give a rip about or like the EU... but I just reread something that kinda pertains to this thread.

A Yuuzhan Vong was cruising in toward Borleias, where General Antilles and his task force had just succeeded in ousting the main Vong force stationed on the planet. The cruiser opened up a lower bay door and ejected 22 beings- mostly humans, some Sullustans, at least one Twi'lek, etc. The people are not yet close enough to the planet to really be caught irrevocably in its gravitational pull. Jaina uses the Force to attempt to stop the first being's plummet toward the planet, but fails. Kyp Durron (a Jedi Master at this point) tries himself, and is only able to marginally slow their approach. The wing trio ends up using their fighters to pull just ahead of each individual, turn sideways, and manipulate thrusters to deflect them away from Borleias until a shuttle could pick them up.

It therefore stands to reason (in contrast to my original thoughts) that perhaps it would be more difficult to perform this feat than most think. There are a few stalwarts who didn't figure it could be done, and it would seem that they're on the right track. I think I'd have to conclude that it would take at least a couple Jedi (most likely at least Knight level) but probably three or more to have any hopes of using TK to successfully deflect a meteor from a planet- and I suspect they'd have to use FPs to make it happen. While this goes against what I personally believe about the Force- that a lot of it works much like Green Lantern's ring, with the only real limitation being what the bearer believes he can do- I would be willing to cite this literary example as a guideline for the sake of nailing down a ruling for all to have as a reference.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be a matter of distance. I've been assuming that the Jedi was in a fighter or freighter, and rather close to the asteroid.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this example, the two Jedi in question were indeed in Xwings, and weren't very far at all from the victims expelled by the Yuuzhan Vong.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Not very far' in terms of kilometers or meters? In space, 20km is VERY close...

And how much mass do the people have? Are they in pods? How strong is gravity pulling them? How hard do the Jedi need to push them? (do the Jedi even know what direction to pusg them?)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jedi were within sufficient visual range to pick out what race each belonged to, and to see the fear on their faces as they plummeted toward Borleias. They were released from the moving ship so the inertia would carry them on toward the planet...
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast was the ship moving?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember a description of how fast the Vong ship was moving when it discharged the victims; I'll have to go back and reread. And if memory serves, the Jedi ships moved in and kinda kept pace with the victims until they began overshooting them to deflect them. Not a bad bit of flying, and instigated by a non-Jedi to boot.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case it really depends on how fast the people were moving. If they were going slow, and the point of no return was a few days/weeks away, then the Jedi should have no problem. If they were moving fast, say only hours before they were toast, then the Jedi woulf have to move them very quickly.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to have been moving pretty fast. The book said they only had minutes to live, whether from freezing or from becoming a flaming projectile when they started entering the atmosphere.

And after rereading it, I was slightly mistaken. After Kyp (the Jedi Master) succeeded in slowing one victim, Jaina (the Jedi Knight) tried harder and was finally able to slow the Sullustan female she'd grabbed ahold of with TK. So while they were supposedly still beyond the reaches of the planet's microgravity, it wouldn't have been long before they were grabbed by it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: