The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Newbie GM tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Newbie GM tips Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Newbie GM tips Reply with quote

OK guys I might decide to start my own campaign, and become a GM. I am pretty well versed in the StarWars universe, but as for gameplay I know d20 better than d6. I will begin reading the Game Masters guide and the other source books for d6, once i am finished moving. What i would like to learn from you guys are the little things that you have discovered to make it a more enjoyable and exciting gaming experience. So any tips for me Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some Gamemaster Tips I put together on the site. These are just some ideas I've come up with through my years of playing. Hope they help!

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not hurt to know your players and their playing styles and to cater to them to a degree, you are playing with them, not at them.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Some general guides:

Remember the director writes half of the story, the players write the other half.

Every mission should have some chance to succeed and some chance for the players to fail. Without the risk of failure there is no hope of glory.

Coolness and rules are equal; If a player is doing something cool feel free to ignore a bad dice roll. If a player is doing something stupid feel free to ignore good dice rolls. Just don't let the player know. "I know I told you it was an easy roll, but you didn't know is there is a hidden..."

-On the other hand- Sometimes a string of unbelievable dice rolls opens a new story line. "This customs official seems to know everything about you, all your hiding places, what you're smuggling, when you were going to arrive. I wonder how he knows all this? Yes, his bribes are twice normal - but he stays bought. This time he doesn't want credits. he's asking about your contact on the planet..."

The Empire is competant. They've taken over the galaxy so they are not stupid or foolish - neither are they omniscient.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember, i know the rules better than you Very Happy
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Then stop your bragging and start coughing up ideas for our fellow director! If you can, that is. (...the glove is thrown)
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fellow director is my step-brother, and i'm going to be one of his players... we've been talking Razz
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joys of nepotism. Wink
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some general ideas:
1.Limit size of players if you are new to Gamemastering. 2-4 players
2.Find people who work well together, or who can play of each other
3.Don't kill any PC's (player characters) on the first adventure
4.If they do stupid things after the first adventure, by all means let the rules run their course.
5. Make sure your having fun. If you find that your not, see if anyone else is interested in GMing. The most important rule is for everyone to have fun, including you as the GM.
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the info guys, I have to get to reading the GM's book, and although i have a good grasp of the D6 system i need to pick some of the key rules so i don't have to be looking stuff up midgame. Also i bet Chris would like to take a break from GM'ing every once in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anytime you want to read the books just ask Smile don't grab and it'll probably be ok Wink

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the players have more to stake in your adventure than you do. Keep it flowing, but managable to your own pace. Valor was right about the story being 50/50. I'm maybe alittle more 40/60. (MOG being 40.)
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, the percentage depends on your players... some players demand more in the story than others Smile... some characters know exactly what they want and they shoot for it, while others are still trying to decide Wink

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ment was that the GM is an intangible idea when the stories underway. Say your reading a book, do you think about the writer while your doing it? The characters in books have no idea that their characters. Its a story. The point is, players choices while in the game effect themselves and the game at large. While the GM is in controll, s/he can't die.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhhh, ok, i see what you're saying Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: