The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Newbie GM tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Newbie GM tips Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say 50/50 I mean the director must allow the players to decide what their characters do. He cannot "railroad" them into decisions - well, sometimes he can, but not all the time.

I have run adventures that were 90/10. The players made all the choices and the director merely facilitated them. Those are the players I like best.

With new characters it may be the otherway around for the first few adventures until they learn. Most of the youth I meet today grew up on video games (I was already old when the very first video game was shown before production at the Seattle science fiction fair. For those of you who don't know it was Asteroids) and have no idea they don't have to follow the script. It helps if you start new players with the idea "If you could do anything you wanted in the Star Wars universe, what would you want to do?"
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
What I ment was that the GM is an intangible idea when the stories underway. Say your reading a book, do you think about the writer while your doing it? The characters in books have no idea that their characters. Its a story. The point is, players choices while in the game effect themselves and the game at large. While the GM is in controll, s/he can't die.

While I completely agree with everything that you say, if "While the GM is in controll, s/he can't die" means the Players can't die, that I don't aggree with. I like my players knowing (or thinking) they can die. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
When I say 50/50 I mean the director must allow the players to decide what their characters do. He cannot "railroad" them into decisions - well, sometimes he can, but not all the time.

I have run adventures that were 90/10. The players made all the choices and the director merely facilitated them. Those are the players I like best.

With new characters it may be the otherway around for the first few adventures until they learn. Most of the youth I meet today grew up on video games (I was already old when the very first video game was shown before production at the Seattle science fiction fair. For those of you who don't know it was Asteroids) and have no idea they don't have to follow the script. It helps if you start new players with the idea "If you could do anything you wanted in the Star Wars universe, what would you want to do?"

I GM with the idea that "every road leads to Rome", EXAMPLE : if I want the players to face the 6 Stormtroopers behind the door thats what they'll do. Either they open the door themselves or the Stormtroopers will open it for them., if I want them to meet a specific NPC on Tatooine and they decide to go to Endor, then thats where the NPC will be, not forcing them to go to Tatooine. Shocked 8)

While I like giving them freedom, I still have to be in control of the game. 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellstorm wrote:
I GM with the idea that "every road leads to Rome", EXAMPLE : if I want the players to face the 6 Stormtroopers behind the door thats what they'll do. Either they open the door themselves or the Stormtroopers will open it for them., if I want them to meet a specific NPC on Tatooine and they decide to go to Endor, then thats where the NPC will be, not forcing them to go to Tatooine. Shocked 8)

While I like giving them freedom, I still have to be in control of the game. 8)

Certainly, some encounters must occur for your adventure to move forward. Changing your placements to match the player's action is an excellent way to accomplish this.

As long as the players don't realize "all roads lead to Rome" they don't feel railroaded. Yours is an excellent idea other directors can use. I know I will.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As long as the players don't realize "all roads lead to Rome" they don't feel railroaded. Yours is an excellent idea other directors can use. I know I will.

If they feel I'm leading them to something and try to avoid it then I let them escape what ever I had planned with a little side adventure and when they don't expect it, a game or two later, "BAM!", right where I wanted them to begin with. In the end I always end up telling the story I wanted to tell and they always play it Beautifully> 8)

Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie GM tips Reply with quote

SNiPE wrote:
OK guys I might decide to start my own campaign, and become a GM. I am pretty well versed in the StarWars universe, but as for gameplay I know d20 better than d6. I will begin reading the Game Masters guide and the other source books for d6, once i am finished moving. What i would like to learn from you guys are the little things that you have discovered to make it a more enjoyable and exciting gaming experience. So any tips for me Very Happy

when I started DMing, the hardest thing I found, was that I was embarassed to talk in front of a crowd. Don't be affraid to practice with the friends you are most comfortable with. Read story book parts to get some practice. After two DMing sessions, I found that I really enjoyed telling the stories. 8)

Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, here's a tip!

Be *unpredictable*!
To avoid such things, take a look at this link:
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were pretty fun 8)

Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like this one:
"170. Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device (Lynx Rule)
If there is any chance whatsoever that major villain X could be the male lead's father, then it will turn out that major villain X is the male lead's father."
Such is life. 8)
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me , I like 32 :"You Can't Kill Me, I Quit (Seifer Rule)"

The good guys never seem to get the hang of actually arresting or killing the bad guys. Minor villains are always permitted to go free so they can rest up and menace you again later -- sometimes five minutes later. Knowing this rule, you can deduce that if you do manage to kill (or force the surrender of) a bad guy, you must be getting near the end of the game. 8)

Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I remember this one Rodian Bounty Hunter, who *just* wouldn't stay dead.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats understandable...as a GM, if you find an NPC or Vilain that the Characters seem to have "fun" interacting with, you don't just let him get killed off, besides, its the Star Wars Universe...Ever heard of "CLONING" Very Happy 8)

Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I cloning seems like cheating. If characters (PC's and NPC's alike) can simply clone their characters, it takes the fun outta the game.

But anyway, if you- as a GM- create a really cool character, how do you present him to the PC's, without giving a chance to shoot at 'im?
I mean, I could take away their guns and stuff, but I'd rather have them HAVE the chance to shoot him, but won't do it, because he/she is a cool character.

How do you do that?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cool character could be introduced by a friend or something, so they don't know that he's an enemy at the time. Maybe at a party or the like.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

As in:"Hi, I'd like you to meet my new friend, Rabid-Cookiee-Monster. He froths at the mouth when he wants to eat you, but he's taking his medicine, so he shouldn't freak out and kill us all." Smile

I can't really see Darth Vader going to parties, you know.

Then again, minor villains might, though. I mean, Boba Fett hangs out in Jabba's court, looking all cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: