The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Planets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Planets. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Planets. Reply with quote

Planets! It has begun.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Let us know if you need anything.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap! You're doing a Planets book?! The one book people keep asking me and I keep saying it can't be done?!

You've got balls man.....

Care to share how you're gonna go about it?
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Planets. Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Planets! It has begun.

I'm not sure what is meant by this, but I assume a book of some type. If you haven't already, you may wish to pickup a copy of STAR WARS - The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Crap! You're doing a Planets book?! The one book people keep asking me and I keep saying it can't be done?!

You've got balls man.....

Care to share how you're gonna go about it?

I'll send you a copy of what I've got so far for your Master critique.

There's sooooo much info. It's going to be a big, big, big file when it's finished.

I do need a good list of WEG planets to verify my own work. If anyone knows of such a list, I'd be very grateful!

It's going to have hyperlinks to each entry so you can just jump to the planet you need. I'll also try to come up with a good Astrogation Gazetter. I've got a couple now, one of them is Excel, and has a lot of planets listed, but not all of them.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how much info are you gonna have on each planet?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started out with just a summary, but then after reading one of your responses to do this, I reallized that there would need to be alot of stuff for the GMs perusal. So, now I'm going to go back and add alot of stuff I passed over. When I send you the file, you'll see what I mean. I'm going to change the formatting a little also, justify the text and such.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Well, I started out with just a summary, but then after reading one of your responses to do this, I reallized that there would need to be alot of stuff for the GMs perusal. So, now I'm going to go back and add alot of stuff I passed over. When I send you the file, you'll see what I mean. I'm going to change the formatting a little also, justify the text and such.

I see no problem with just summaries as long as it is a complete summary of all the info (check with SW Wiki as well). Everything else can be credit sourced to the original source or after the summary do a brief paragragh on cultures and one on locations of interest. In all honesty, both WEG and WOTC get long-winded with the detail...not that it was poor writing, but I think it was a way to stretch the books to a "sellable" size. Any editor worth their wait could make some of those descriptions and details half the size in length and still get the infomation across.

I was thinking in my idea for planets was to do the d20 style "__________ and the _________ worlds" books and take up either none covered or vaguely covered sectors, systems, and planets per Region. You may want to adopt this as to break up the size of the book somewhat. Seperating by region will make the guide easier to follow...as well as making the big book several books.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has been compiling a list of planets for Star Wars in an attempt to make a complete "map", I wish you luck in your endeavor, Jamfke. Recently I was going back through my earlier, less than thorough, notes and retyping a complete list of planets, systems, sectors, regions and sources where at least one reference could be found on the planet. That file has turned pretty big, and I'm just going with names right now, not even a description, so I can only imagine what your file is going to look like.

So, best of luck and if you have anything that vexes you, don't hesitate to ask.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to get a hard drive with a couple terabytes of storage space on it, Jam! Shocked "Look at the size of that thing!"
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I have not even started on mine yet, I shall remove this from my planned projects and defer it too you. Best of luck, and I can't wait to see it.

P.S. Could you also include which Sectors a planet falls in? I know, it's a lot to add.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find the maps for them, I will include the sectors. It looks like most of them have their system/sector mentioned in their summary.

Does anyone have PDF copies of the Adventure Journals? I'm specifically looking for number 7. Thanks in advance!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planets Update!

So many worlds! So little time! I've been crunching data for the past few weeks now and am pushing the 200 entry envelope. Each planet will have a various amount of information. Some will have nothing but a couple of paragraphs, others will cover two to three pages! It all depends on the source.

There are obvious reasons why there won't be a full coverage of planets that have been covered in great depth, like Yavin or Bespin, as they are detailed at great length in their own guides. I will give them the detail that each richly deserves however!

If anyone has a list of official known sectors of the galaxy, it would be much appreciated if you'd PM them to me!

As to the structure of the book, I thought about breaking the planets down into their sectors, but several of them would have only a single entry, so for now, I'm just going to leave it to an alphabetical rundown in the contents page. If anyone would like to see it the other way around, please make your sentiments known.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it whould be organized alphabetically. Most people don't care much about the sector organizations, and as you said, most sectors only have a single representative planet.

The utopic best thing would be to have big two-page galaxy map at the beginning or end of the book, with coordinates. So on each planet entry you have that planet's coordinates which can be used to locate it at the map.

Best of luck.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the map at the beginning AND the end? That way you can get to the closer one.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: