The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can this work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Can this work Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Can this work Reply with quote

My group had an idea but I would like someone elses input on this before I make a ruling. Take a concussion missile, place a hyperdrive on it, and shot it at a large ship (capital class).

The idea that it would bypass the shields of the other ship.
What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that would bypass the shield. If you manage to perform the hyperspace jump and actually hit the target (remember that hyper-exit vectors are very vague, it's quite hard to pinpoint you exit vector) then your torpedo would exit hyperspace and hit the vessel normally, so shields would count. However this missile out of nowhere should come as a surprise to the target, so they might not have the shields up or they might have the shields on a different vector. The only thing is that they shouldn't be able to use a "shield reaction" to raise the shield on full power on the attacking arc.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can disable the "safeties" in the hyperdrive. Specificly the ones that drop the "vessel" out of hyperspace when it detects a gravity well. Bypassing that feature means that the missle will drop out due to the collision, and in you've taken physics then you can image the damage done during a collision occuring between two objects at different velocities. The BIG warning - if you do this and miss something else will be hit with devistating force eventually. Think carefully before doing anything like this.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were a nuke or something, that would be a neat area attack weapon. You wouldn't even have to be in the system, just launch it to the coordinates of your enemy's location and BOOM!
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know my group and I'm 100% sure they would try it. They asked my about it. So I'll go with option #1. I really don't want to have to deal with those problems if I can aviod giving myself a headache. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be used easily. Bypass the hyperdrive safeties of a used frighter, aim it at a star destroyer and jump...

Result would be, following the rules book:

The damage of a All-Out frontal collision is 13D.
An Imperial Star-Destroyer has Hull 7D and Shields 3D.
An Imperial Star Destroyer adds 6 Bonus Dice for Scale Difference.

Therefore you roll 13D Damage versus 16D Withstand.
This is not really a fair chance for our kamikaze fighter.

Adding special charges would be useful, but very speculative. Thermal Detonators or concussion missiles in the cargo bay could surely deal a big amount of damage, but should not destroy the star destroyer. If one of my players would come up with this idea, i would assign 12D Star Destroyer Scale Damage - if the ship is hit.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Chabit Rane use Dice Caps rather than that unusual scale that creates even more buckets of dice for the already bucket o dice game.

And I had no idea Chabit was thinking of something so crazy. A hyperdrive is too expensive to waste on a one shot attack. If your going to strap a hyperdrive to a weapon, make it one that will not only instantly destroy the Star Destroyer, but take out Star Destroyers nearby as well. Use a Thermal Fusion warhead, nice, big, capital scale, 100km area effect, weapon.

And big enough where the Star Destroyer is not an interfering mass, and it could explode right in the middle after dropping out of hyperspace.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hyperdrive is not expensive. Buy a used ship. Together with a handful of concussion missiles this can go as low as 12.000 Credits - for kicking a stardestroyers butt not to expensive at all.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a warhead Boomer would be very appropriate but allmost impossible to get. Not only that, very unheroic. Being a hero is the point of the game. If any PC (including mine) used a warhead style weapon the fun of the game is lost. Including character developement. Not to mention the price of the warhead. The Alliance did not use them (to my knowledge anyways) because it symbolized what the Empire would do.

Picture an Alliance Starfighter using one of these things. Its cheaper, but more life threatening to the pilot. I would only allow one shot, maybe two, per launcher. Reduce the range as well, say only 75%. All the while having to dodge fighters and the targets gunners. If the pilot made it, it would be a heroic feat. And the opponent would possibly be crippled.

All that for somewhere around 20,000 cr. only.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am your opinion. Its not heroic and not alliance style. But kamikaze could be used by some extremists and be the core of an adventure.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to great lengths to destory one ship cheaply but still at the cost of one man's life is quite heroic, as heroic as Al-Quaeda.

If the goal is to destroy a capital ship, just destroy the capital ship.

If the goal is capturing the ship, or saving someones life, than why jump in a warhead of any kind at all, even a little concussion warhead? Use an Ion Detonator.

But balking at a certain weapon simply because it is larger is just plain silly. You need a ship destroyed, it destroys ships, no crying about it.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't we just talking about this in another thread, Gry? 8)
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::smacks self in forehead:: I did it again!

Sorry for the harsh tone, guys.

But my point still stands... I just don;t mean to be a jerk about it.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alright, Boomer. Your people skills are coming right along! 8)

I'd had this idea strike me in another thread, and I posted it to get input on the feasibility of such a device. We pretty much figured out that it would be expensive, but sorta possible. This tactic would be best used against capital ships like Star Destroyers, Mon Cal Cruisers and the like. It would definitely NOT be applicable against starfighter scale craft, nor would it ignore shields. It WOULD, however, negate a ship's chances to raise shields before it hits. Plus, as was stated earlier, depending on the actual delivery (whether it dropped into realspace and detonated close to the ship or rammed the ship after reversion) the damage could be QUITE severe.

It was mentioned that this was likely to only ever be utilized by the Empire, as they were the only side well-funded enough to pull it off. I personally think the Rebellion could have done it, had it occurred to them. As was also stated before, this effect could be achieved by using an old light freighter, or even a bigger ship. The issue with that would be their ragtag nature; they needed all the ships they could lay hands on, so in order for the Alliance to do that, it'd have to be a pretty derelict ship, but sturdy enough for one more hyperjump.

At any rate, it's an interesting idea, and a scary one if the Empire ever actually tried it.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Star Wars' hyperspace technology is not accurate enough to pull this off.

But, if it was somehow accomplished, and somehow managed to hit a moving ship, I would not allow it to bypass the shields. It might be harder to shoot down or stop with a tractor beam...but then again, maybe not. Since we know the Imperials can track objects moving through hyperspace, I wouldn't give their attackers any real advantage for this.

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: