The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A REALLY old character
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A REALLY old character Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAPTAININSANO
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: A REALLY old character Reply with quote

I have a question that I haven't seen too much about in the rules. Are there any penalties for a really old character? As in over the age of 100?
I understand that realistically he would be feeble, not so dexterous, mildly incontinent, etc. I thought he would be a lot of fun to plan. And certainly there is a story built in. He only has so much time left to accomplish his goals before he bites it - though his goals may or may not be more lofty than catching the next episode of Matlock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...I put them in the same room and let them fight it out...
Jack Handy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on the character race. I'd imagine that humans in this culture live well past 100, unless their professions or a bounty hunter catch up with them. Yeah, that would definitely give you some interesting role playing to do... boring all the other characters with your incessant prattling about "the good old days" and such... Laughing
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the simple answer is there isn't rules per say. But the good answer is this: WEG did set up a system for skill loss due to lack of use. So, if the PC you're playing was an experienced character at one point, even with muscle loss, aging, and skill loss he could still easily be on starting PC level. I would recommend you make a rough draft of the character at his peak and then go from there. For example:

DEX: 4D
Blaster - 7D
Dodge - 8D

PER: 3D
Con - 5D+2
Investigation - 7D

KNO: 2D
Intimidation - 5D
Streetwise - 6D

STR: 4D
Brawling - 6D

MEC: 2D
Starfighter Piloting - 6D
Starship Gunnery - 7D

TEC: 3D
Starfighter Rpr - 5D+2
Starship Weapon Rpr - 4D+2

Backstory: He was a bounty hunter, but after retirement took up traveling the galaxy as a hobby. When he got to old to do that he settled down and became an "advisor for hire" to galactic affairs. (For this example he settled on Tattoine)

Him now:

DEX: 3D
Blaster - 4D
Dodge - 5D

PER: 3D
Investigation - 4D

KNO: 3D
Streetwise - 4D
Streetwise: Tattoine - 7D

STR: 3D
Brawling - 4D

MEC: 3D

TEC: 3D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, you can "degrade" the old concept and merge it with the transition phase of the character to make a final one. He got better over the years at Mechanical tasks, and was exposed to a wealth of knowledge across the galaxy in his travels, but also aged and became weaker and more feable. He eventually lost the flight and repair skills he once had since he spent years on a planet not traveling. He kept enough of an edge to keep him alive on such a dangerous planet.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would 100 years be old for characters with access to Imperial medicine? Our group figured core worlders have twice the life span of Earthlings.
CAPTAININSANO
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The elaborate backstory also kind of appeals to me. More than just "he was an orphan with amnesia who learned the hard way it was kill or be killed." I was even thinking of taking really substandard stats in str- like 1d. A character More for the comedy and character than the power gaming.
As far as age, I am thinking of whatever number would be 100 to us- aka really exceptionally old
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bet it was pretty hard to pick up girls if you had the Black Death.
Jack Handy
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For aging PCs, I'd slowly put in penalties for Strength, but improve Knowledge. Other decreases in stats would be caused by maladies one gats during old age, but not aging itself.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 year old Wookiee would be a very young tyke indeed. Wink
Revan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Yoda lived more than 100 years and was still capable of fighting with Count Dookan. The age must be balanced to the character's race and life-stile
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revan wrote:
Indeed. Yoda lived more than 100 years and was still capable of fighting with Count Dookan. The age must be balanced to the character's race and life-stile

Dookan? Are you brazilian?
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello!

Actually, Yoda was almost 900 at the time....

Tony
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the allure of playing a character that is exceptionally old and feeble. It seems as if it would be an obstacle and a hinderance, not just to the player, but possibly to the GM as well. Especially if the GM is planning a serious campaign, and taking such a character is for comedic value.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda in rotj

Quote:
When 900 years old you are look so good you will not.

I was thinking about the Kid template. I belive that it shold be die capped.
Die cap the str and kno for the kid. Maby you could do sort of the same thing with your old guy.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't die cap the kid template. For example, there are the "savants" who are far beyond some adults in intellegence. As for strength, there is a kid who was ripped at like 5-8 years old, beyond some high school or even college athletes.

Now, not all children are this exceptional, but the PC's are not the "average" anything.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
CAPTAININSANO
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I do not understand the allure of playing a character that is exceptionally old and feeble. It seems as if it would be an obstacle and a hinderance, not just to the player, but possibly to the GM as well. Especially if the GM is planning a serious campaign, and taking such a character is for comedic value.

I undestand that the enfeebled template may not be for everyone, and the group I play with works a lot with the character development and story line aspect of things.
There could be a real benefit though from a gameplay standpoint if there is a positive tradeoff for the negatives of playing an old character- e.g. nice bonuses to the knowledege set or technical stuff.
All in all this is not something I was recommending, my original post was just asking in general how others might think it would work.

I mean, hey, being 104 works well for Montgomery Burns.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris you may be only seconds away from death.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
You can't die cap the kid template. For example, there are the "savants" who are far beyond some adults in intellegence. As for strength, there is a kid who was ripped at like 5-8 years old, beyond some high school or even college athletes.

Now, not all children are this exceptional, but the PC's are not the "average" anything.

That particular kid was in such shape that he was beyond EVERYONE he was pitted against in a contest doing squats. They had each person squatting a certain amount of weight in proportion to their body weight- the kid included. I think the longest any of the adult competitors lasted was around ten minutes or so. The kid got bored after 30 minutes of doing this exercise and asked if he could quit- he was hardly even breathing heavy.

That kid's parents: mother was a ballerina, father was a dancer/ SERIOUS martial artist. The kid was training in weights, martial arts, and dance from like age two. In fact, abuse charges were filed against the father. The boy was about twelve at the time. The judge ruled that the kid 1)Can't weight train until he's 16.
2)Can't train in the martial arts with other kids. He hits and kicks so hard, it has to be done with adults.

There might have been more rulings specifically outlining what the kid can and can't do, but I can't remember at the moment. He's one bad dude, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: