The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Assault on Hoth [boxed game]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Assault on Hoth [boxed game]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Mischevious
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Assault on Hoth [boxed game] Reply with quote

Can anyone out there give me a brief idea of what the game mechanisms were for the Assault on Hoth boxed game?

Was this compatible with the roleplaying system in a similar way to the Star Warriors set?

Thanks
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not played it (keep getting outbid on Ebay) but from what I gather, it is a standalone product, similar to the Battle of Endor boxed set.
Darth Mischevious
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pel. Trouble is, I haven't played the Battle on Endor set either.

I thought that one or two of the published WEG adventures had Assault on Hoth mini scenarios included though, like they sometimes included Star Warriors ones (such as the siege scenarios for Black Ice) as an optional part of the adventure too...?

Hence me wondering about whether/how it might fit in with the rpg.

I guess that the answer is on Ebay!!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Ok, bad comparison. I have played the Endor game and haven't found it compatible with the RPG. One could, with much researching, make it compatible I suppose, but then it's still a one-player game.

To answer your question in a roundabout way, I do not believe it is compatible without some serious modifications.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played them , but i own the Assault on Hoth Rules: they don't seem fit to be integrated into the RPG, as far as it concerns it, it's a two player game, iirc.
Ras
Darth Mischevious
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sounds like Star Warriors was the real gem of the published board games. We used that a lot as part of the RPG and it worked fine (probably better than it did as a stand alone board game).

Doesn't seem that any of the other games offer anything particular towards the RPG experience though. Ah well!
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, the starfighter game is organized so to be adaptable to the RPG, but i confess i'm too new to the SW rpg to be able to use it right away...
Darth Mischevious
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it really depends on the preferred style of your group.

If you have a group that likes a very tactical approach and enjoys using minatures for the RPG, then they will very likely enjoy Star Warriors as well. It fits in pretty easily, as the piloting and gunnery is an exact match.

If, however, your group prefers a very fast abstract system, then they're better off with the RPG rules and they probably won't like using the board game much.

Personally, one of my gaming high spots was vaporising two TIEs in the same Star Warriors turn whilst flying something even more obsolete than a Headhunter! (We had to make up the Star Warriors stats for new ships). I don't think it would have felt so good using the RPG resolution, because part of the fun was actually manouevring the fighter into the right killing position - as opposed to just describing it and rolling the dice, as it would be in the RPG rules.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight! I suspect i'll stay away from Star Warriors, for the moment... Smile
Ras

ADMIN EDIT: Arrow (First play of) Assault on Hoth
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: