The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Radiation Damage (Comments)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Radiation Damage (Comments) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Radiation Damage (Comments) Reply with quote

This thread is dedicated to comments, questions, or additional information you'd like to see added to the radiation damage house rule.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...wow, this is one complex thread set-up to deal with a house rule....
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very complex house rule. But the work is very much appreciated.

WEG dropped the ball when they suggested these things existed in game, and than never actually described or explained them.

What good is the radiation medicine RAD Troopers carry if there are no rules for how characters are affected in game? What does the medicine cure if the problem is never described?

So it's about friggin time we got around to this.
to finance my 'vette!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

Chabit Rane said he wanted a detailed rule. This will take me some time to type in, but I have started. I can only type so fast. I notice the first comment was up before I finished the first section.

Plus, others may wish to have things added. This requires some kind of format which won't be flooded with an unending debate.

Anyway you look at it, radiation damage is a difficult effect to quantify in a house rule if you want "maximum realism" - which is what he's asked for.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never asked for that. I asked for that. Surprised

Also, radiation damage from radiation weapons, I have a few ideas for. I'll post them here.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal opinion the rules sholdn't go for "maximum realism" simply because this is not what the d6 system strives to achieve. They should be realistic and playable but shouldn't get bogged down to rolling for every pimple you have in your ankles....
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive me, I mean no offense.

I'm answering Chabit Rane because he's the one who asked it under the 'official rules' thread. I have received several private messages on the topic. I recognise others have asked the same question.

In private messages he asked for 'maximum realism'. I'm attempting to give him, and the others who want it, that. I know this is too much for most RPGers.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my personal opinion the rules sholdn't go for "maximum realism" simply because this is not what the d6 system strives to achieve. They should be realistic and playable but shouldn't get bogged down to rolling for every pimple you have in your ankles....

The pimples on your ankles hardly ever have an effect in real life. Not rolling for them would be more effective in creating realism.[/quote]
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the pimples merely as an illustrative example, I have no idea if they have anything to do with radiation. What I mean by it is that often when people go for "maximum ralism" they come up with rules so convoluted and full of tables that using them would bog down the game terribly.

But yet again I note that this is merely my personal opinion, and I don't even think that the rules so far presented by Volar are dragging with nitpicking details, so far things are looking very good.

Volar the Healer wrote:
...Females suffer forced, painful menstruation.

Now that's the kind of thing you won't find in the rulebook, kids! Wink
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the work that you have done is , simply put ........GREAT. I thank you for all the hard work you put into this (and I'm sure everyone else that asked you about it does too).

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me a lot of this thread post I made:
KageRyu wrote:
The normal doses of radiation are measured in millirads, with 20-30 millirads being considered the high end of "background" radiation. General radiation exposure is acrued in doses over a specified time frame, let's say every round (5 seconds) for simplicity. Once you start talking about taking doses in actual RADS you are in serious trouble. The human body can acrue a significant amount of radiation exposure in millirads over prolonged periods, as long as exposure isn't continuous, or all at once. The Human body can only withstand very short exposure to Rads. For exposure in the low millirad range (below 100) I would track every 6 rounds, with a damage scale starting at 1D for 50 millirads, and increasing by 1D for every doubling of millirads.
For exposure in Rads the imediate effects are much more serious, and I would track every round. I would start the damage scale at 1D for 1-5 Rads and increase it by 1D for each doubling of Rads. Radiation protective gear should provide "soak" for this just as armor for normal wounds...but armor that is unshielded to radiation will not help at all.
The average Human can withstand 50 Rads (total acrued radiation) before serious damage occours.
Sample Radiation Exposure:
Nuclear Leak: 1-10 Rads per Round
Solar Flare: 10 Rads per Hour (166 Millirads/minute, 14millirads/turn)
Background Noise: 1-6 millirads per hour

In real life, radiation effects acrue with exposure, and at about 50 Rads of total acrued exposure, a human starts to suffer serious long term effects, genetic damage, and illness. absorbing 100
Rads or more is certain to cause serious helth problems, mutations in offsprings, etc. Also, absorbing higher doses over shorter times has more serious effects.

Hope this helps.

*Special Thanks to Cyberpunk:Deep Space for additional insight.

also viewable here:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25432&highlight=#25432
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a request for radiation weapons. Can anyone give me an example from a sci-fi setting?

Is there any other radiation sources folks would like me to take a stab at?

Can anyone give me an example of radiation tratments froma sci-fi setting?

Is there any other radiation thing the list would like to see included in this rule?
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
I have a request for radiation weapons. Can anyone give me an example from a sci-fi setting?

Is there any other radiation sources folks would like me to take a stab at?

Can anyone give me an example of radiation tratments froma sci-fi setting?

Is there any other radiation thing the list would like to see included in this rule?

Lasers, by definition, are radiation weapons; the word is so common that it is easily forgotten that "LASER" is an acronym for "light amplification (via) stimulated emission (of) radiation.")

Neutron bombs, nukes, and other real-world weapons easily fit into the rad-weapon category as well.

---

"Antimatter" weapons in Star Trek tend to combine subatomic annihilation effects with gamma radiation side-effects.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, this was made so long agao I had forgotten all about the fact I had an idea to post, and that this was the place to post it. I am sorry.

Next, my idea for one kind of radiation weapon, based on the general concept of a Neutron Bomb.

A warhead or bomb, with a simple detonation that washes over an entire area with a very significant amount of radiation. A missile would be capital scale, the warhead about the size of kettle drum.

The damage goes like this.

RAD Bomb-
Upon detonation, a 250 meter radius area takes 1D6 damage, regardless of scale. Anything completly enclosed in a structure that has protection from normal radiation (anything used in space) does not take this initial damage.
Regardless of normal shielding, anything that is not designed specifically to handle weaponized radiation (for example, RAD Troopers are shielded against such radiation) has now been saturated with 2000-REM as per the Radiation Damage Chart.

And that's all I got fer now. Pretty rough, could use some tweaking.
to finance my 'vette!
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have read these interesting post and I have a simple comment :
GM is not supposed to be atomic engineer. I means we have to find easy rules.
So, I propose the following rule :

GM decide dice code of damage and periodicity :
-dice code of damage is the quantity of radiation (1D/2D medium; 3D/4D high; 5D+ very high)
-periodicity is each time the GM roll the damage while the characters are in the area of effect. Periodicity depend on the kind of the source of radiation.
Characters take damage as wound but can't be healed by medpac. Medpac can only stop the radiation effects. After being threated by a medpac, characters heal normaly with complete rest. Only bacta threatment can cure quickly heal.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: