The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wild Die
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Wild Die
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Wild Die Reply with quote

I have been thinking about the wild die lately and in doing so I have been re-reading some of the rules. The rules as written make it read and sound as though they apply only to the players. Nothing is really said to the GM about the use of the wild die in other circumstances. Not only that are you going to access a Complication to a Stormtrooper that rolls a 1? You see how the wild die, if used for every single roll in the game would quickly make things a little silly. This leads me to the conclusion only PCs and major NPCs get a wild die. The mooks and faceless adversaries get none.

Can anyone think of a single example in any of the WEG books showing an NPC rolling a wild die? Of having a complication? A Spectacular Success/Crushing Failure? In fact other than major NPCs has anyone seen a stat block with Character Points or Force Points listed?

Thoughts?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a direct answer, but relevant: 2ded. R&R p. 208. Henchmen, stormies, etc., typically don't have character or Force points. This implies they can, though.

Last edited by nuclearwookiee on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the CP/FP list, no. Heck most storm troopers/army troopers (MOOKS) are listed as having 0-3cp and 0Fp.
As to the wild die, though the only examples of it we see come up in the books is in reference TO the pc rolling, it is imo an assumed rule that applies to all rolls, pc and npc.

And yes i have had stormies, dark jedi, and other NPCs have complications when they rolled a wild 1.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely have all NPCs roll the Wild Die. That way it leaves an element of danger, even with incompetent foes (they could always roll a few 6s), or the chance for a really strong adversary to get a complication.

FWIW I almost always do the "remove the highest die and the one" option when the Wild Die comes up a 1 for mooks (for most opponents, actually).
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the game is based off the movies, I looked at them for inspiration for wild die complications. while looking I noticed that some things that happened to NPC characters could be considered wild die mishaps. Off the top of my head is Vader's wingmen in ANH. When his last wingman knocks into Vader's TIE X1 I look at it as he had a good role but got a one on the wild die. I also remember on page 74 of 2ed R&E on page 74 it gave an example of Boba Fett falling into the sarlacc was a one on the wild die. I have to think that since NPC characters can be considered players since they are also in the universe as well they have to abide by the wild die rule.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, I actually use the wild die more with "mooks" than with major NPCs. But when I GM, I do most of my rolling behind a screen, so it's easy to fudge one way or the other for the sake of the story anyway. With the peons, I usually don't care as much and am fine seeing what fate decides to do with them.
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how positively awful the Stormtroopers were at hitting anything I'd say they get a complication on a roll of 1 to 5 on d6. Razz
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always play it that every die roll has the Wild Die incorporated, pc and npc alike.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 3 rolls i can find that don't explicitly say they also get the wild die applied to are
A) the Dark side turning roll
B) Grenade deviation roll
C) mortally wounded round kicker till you die.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage rolls are also supposed to be immune to the Wild Die.

The thing to consider here is that the Wild Die hurts the player more than it helps them. If a mook gets killed due to the wild die, its not big deal, as he doesn;t have to show up next session. But if a PC gets killed, a player has to come up with a new character, and it could seriously disrupt a campaign. If the GM wrote an adventure with the idea that Han was flying the Falcon, but Han got killed and instead 3P0 is at the controls, things go go badly.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Damage rolls are also supposed to be immune to the Wild Die.

Where do you see the damage rolls being immune to needing a wild die from?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p. 74 (R&E) says "The wild die rule counts for all die rolls in the game, including skill and attribute checks, weapon damage, and rolling Perception for initiative."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
p. 74 (R&E) says "The wild die rule counts for all die rolls in the game, including skill and attribute checks, weapon damage, and rolling Perception for initiative."

So maybe it SHOULD then be included for Dark side resistance, Mortally wounded 'ticker' and grenade scatter rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: