The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Help! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all valid approaches. Another might be to punish the player in game: If he makes a snide remark about the Imperial customs inspector, the inspector says "What was that? You got something to say, space scum?" Just because your bad player comes out of character, the director's NPCs don't have to. Have the ship given a more detailed search because of his 'out of character' comments. A lot of NPC reactions to his 'out of game' comments usually solves the problem real quick. Remind him you don't know what kind of role he's trying to play. Rolling Eyes Have the power gamer's character make enemies for the group. 'In game' peer pressure sometimes achieves things the director cannot - especially if you secretly set it up with two other players ahead of time. Make sure your secret helpers address the problem player by his character's name so it is obviously 'in game' and not personal.

What goes around comes around (the force demands balance) players who show no mercy receive none. The character who uses a rocket launcher as a personal weapon soon has storm commandos (shutter) assigned to end this threat common stormtroopers cannot deal with. The Jedi who slaughters zero-G troopers, darktroopers, and AT-ATs with ease attracts the attention of Lord Vader. (No Lord Vader, I'm on your side...argggh...ack...thud. -actual comment from one of our games) Normally I like using Darth Vader as a background, but if the characters are annoying enough to The Empire... And last, characters who argue with the rules receive a summons to court - Hey, if they want to play a lawer - let 'em.
lindamus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Role play Reply with quote

The best way to get your players to roleplay is to start off the campaign with no character sheets, no dice and no rule books.

Throw them into some interesting situations and get them to discribe how they would deal with the situation with reasons why something would work and why they are doing it this way.

When they have done that, create the character with this background.

Did this for one game, still playing this character for over 10 years (dnd though)
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stats and everything else is secondary to the character.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of games being played without ever rolling a single dice, that must make for interresting roleplaying.

As a GM, I'm not sure I could handle that.

But I just might give it a try 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard of games being played without ever rolling a single dice, that must make for interresting roleplaying.

I think Ragnar and I have done at least one game like that.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
Quote:

which did you prefer playing ? 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
Quote:

I've done it once out of necessity. I forgot all my dice, and at the time my players didn't have any dice.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote

Vartax wrote:
...Not to mention has a really bad habit of always referencing the rules when something doesn't go his way. Any ideas how I might be able to help him?

Take away the rule book. Everytime he opens a rule book, skip him, announce his character is "consulting a data pad", then ask the next player what his character's doing this round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: