The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do you Start your new adventures or campains?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How do you Start your new adventures or campains? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: How do you Start your new adventures or campains? Reply with quote

So what I mean is how do you get the ball rolling so to speak. How do you normally connect your characters so that they want to need to be out together.
Personally none of my players ever want to be part of the rebel alliance. So I'm going to have to come up with something creative to get them together. I'm planning on running Tatooine Manhunt, and I haven't run anything in a while. Just looking for some ideas from some of you out there that have been doing this for like ever.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you Start your new adventures or campains? Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
How do you normally connect your characters so that they want to need to be out together.

You need to give the group an identity and a reason to work together. The Rebellion works for some groups, but not all.

One group I started out as fellow prisoners being sent to the mines on Berea in Elrood Sector. They had to cooperate to escape detention, take over the ship, and escape before they reached the mines. Once they escaped they had to cooperate to make deals on the black market to get new IDs, sell off the stolen ship, acquire equipment etc. IIR the deal for the new IDs required them to do some work for a crimelord and off they went.

You should also consider making the players help you by making connections between their characters. Many of the templates include a connection to other characters statement. Have the players figure out what their character's connection is to other characters before play begins. This helps to keep them working together as a group or at least as a series of allies.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My groups often consists of different kinds of weird characters. Coming up with a 'sensible' story to put them all together is nigh impossible.

A hardened mercenary with a serious temper problem on the run, a teen force prodigy gone 'tramp slut', a short tempered 'space dwarf' tech, a twilek armsdealer and a hunted 'failed jedi'...all playing after their own agenda. And this is an unusually normal lot. The only way to make them work together is to first put them together, and then make them need each other to survice.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
My groups often consists of different kinds of weird characters. Coming up with a 'sensible' story to put them all together is nigh impossible.

That's why I suggested making the players help by connecting their characters. If each character connects to at least one other character and all (or most) characters are connected to some other character, I find play works better and is more interesting.

To take your PCs as examples - the hardened mercenary could have done business with the arms dealer in the past. The hunted, failed Jedi could see himself in the force prodigy (or someone he was close to during his Jedi training) or he could see teaching/protecting the prodigy as his chance for redemption. The prodigy could be looking for a teacher. The space dwarf could have worked with the mercenary or the arms dealer in the past. Or the space dwarf and the mercenary could have both been in detention due to a bar fight brought about by their short tempers. (And really how could a dwarf have anything other than a short temper.) Two of the characters could be siblings (natural or adopted) e.g. the mercenary could be an older brother of the prodigy or the failed jedi could be the older brother/sister that was taken away from the mercenary's family at a young age.

And I agree with ZzaphodD that making them work together to survive often (though not always) helps.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't want to be a part of the Rebellion, I'll tell them to figure out how they know each other by the time game starts. If they fail, I go along one of a few routes:

1) They used to work together back when the republic was in control. Usually one person always takes a ship, and another usually is always a Jedi, so one used to cart the other around all the time.

2) They work for a common planetary government which has just contracted all of them and put them together. (a common one I use)

3) They're related! In the case that all of them play humans, they're all related! Cousins, second cousins, etc. This one usually works pretty well too.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way would be to hold a mission breifing at the beginning of the mission. The team is just being thrown together without a reason to be a team, but their given their mission so they have to go. They can come together as a team on the mission.

Another, similar way is to have the team imprisoned and those imprisoning them forcing them to go out and do something for them. Or they have to band together to break out of prison.

Yet another way to start a campaign is to just throw the PCs right into the action at the very beginning, have them have to fight for their lives. Just don't kill them at the very beginning.

Wanted Poster
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this problem recently, when getting my campaign off the ground.

I've found that having all the players together when talking about character concepts helps, as sometimes they feed off of each other, and join some dots themselves.

In my game one player had the idea that she kept moving all the time (young Jedi) by working as a mechanic on various ships.
Another was a former slave, turned smuggler.
The idea organically grew that the Jedi ended up working on a ship belonging to a rather cruel smuggler, and so wanted to escape. Turns out she was escaping at the same time as the smugglers poorly treated slave girl. Easy job!

As for bringing all the characters together, I struggled. Eventually I did a variation of the ond "prison escape" scenario, by having it written in to each character background that they had been captured by slavers.
The game started when the ship was shot out of the sky, and they all worked together to escape the sinking wreckage.

It's worked so far. One of the characters is convinced he was set up (they all were, but he's the only one for whom it was obvious), and has already persuaded the other characters to help him settle the score. So they're all ready planning to stay together once they escape the immediate situation.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

That's why I suggested making the players help by connecting their characters. If each character connects to at least one other character and all (or most) characters are connected to some other character, I find play works better and is more interesting.

That to me is the best way to go.. Make the having connections, be part of their character creation. Heck the old cha sheets even had a spot on it that was for their connection to the other characters.

Quote:
Another, similar way is to have the team imprisoned and those imprisoning them forcing them to go out and do something for them. Or they have to band together to break out of prison.

Or as i did with good success.. they are all passengers on different liners which crash on planet X.. and they had to band together for survival and to seek means to leave... YES there were other survivors, but they did their 'own thing'.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Or as i did with good success.. they are all passengers on different liners which crash on planet X.. and they had to band together for survival and to seek means to leave... YES there were other survivors, but they did their 'own thing'.

Which can be used as a kind of Lord of the Flies story...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Which can be used as a kind of Lord of the Flies story...

And it's Star Wars so Piggy could be an intellectual Gamorrean with a voicebox. Laughing
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that line again? "Kill the pig, eat his flesh." Can't remember, was almost twenty years ago. Didn't much care for the book, course I wasn't a big fan of being forced to read in school. It was one thing when I had to read and it was my choice, it was another entirely when I was told "this is what you will read." Even when it was my choice I still resented it because of the fact that it was for school. The only teacher I ever had in high school who got me to willingly read what they assigned was my 10th grade English teacher, but then he made it interesting to read what he assigned (save for the first book in the Foundation series which about 95% of the class couldn't get through the first five pages of). Ironically I'd go home, pick up a book, and sit down for an hour or so before bed and read.

Wanted Poster
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:

This is what I'm going with, although they'll have been shanghaied onto a small freighter and wake up when it's in hyperspace. They can try to mutiny, run away at landfall, or (I doubt this will happen) play along with their captors/"employers".

As for the backstory, the thumbnail is the same for everyone: hard times in the New Republic mean each character was looking for work, and came to Cloud City because it's what passes for a thriving economy. They just walked into the wrong cantina, the one with the secret passage beneath...
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've opened a campaign in media res of a prison break, it was quite enjoyable.
My most recent campaign, the PCs were pirates aboard a Corellian Corvette during the Battle of Khuiumin (where the Empire routed a group of pirates) and have to find a way to escape. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Khuiumin

Other ideas I've tossed around include:
The PCs all start mid-hand of a high-stakes game of Sabacc. Cue the authorities to bust in and break up the illegal game.
The PCs are all victims of a biological attack in a public place and have to find a cure.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those areas where the GM can sometimes forget that he or she is the GM.

Characters can determine their back stories for as far as that can go, but the GM not only gets to veto nonsense (someone says that his character has 50,000,000,000 credits hidden or whatever), but also gets to fill in voids as he or she sees fit.

So, when it comes to the first game, it can be asked why do the characters find themselves all on ship X, in bar Y, or on planet Z somewhere?

Because the GM says so! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the 'stranger' intros i have seen.. Everyone owed money, and had little work capacity/were hobos/down on their luck etc, and had accepted an invitation by a company for 'testing'....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: