The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Poss new "Sith power". Force Sink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Poss new "Sith power". Force Sink Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got done doing some nice day dreaming about this power in use (say me running a game at a con).. BUT it brought up a few questions i didn't think of.

1) What happens to the jedi being "Leeched" off if he gets knocked out?
2) What about if he dies?
3) What happens next if the jedi is brought down to 0d in all 3 force skills? Does he then start losing force points?
3A) linked. Say he does start losing force points. Is it still at 2 leached points, 1 point earned by the sith?
3B) how quickly do they come back?
3C) what happens if/when they get to 0 force points now??
4) how quickly should the stuff come back if the sith is killed?
5) since by the RAW when a force user gets wounded (or worse) all kept up force powers drop, that means this will also drop. BUT if right after (Next round) the sith brings it back up on the same target, do they 'keep what has been sinked/leeched? Or does it start back at 0?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Just got done doing some nice day dreaming about this power in use (say me running a game at a con).. BUT it brought up a few questions i didn't think of.

In my mind

He is still being leeched from. A cunning sith may keep a Jedi foe on ice (or in stasis) to use as a battery in times of dire need (although a bad leech roll may awaken the battery)
I like the idea that the death of the target has serious implications for the sith. Perhaps if the Sith breaks connection before the moment of death (control roll) he's OK but stunned but iff he attempts to hold on past death then he has to make a heroic alter roll success = keep what you have gained failure = either death or the connection collapses and the Sith inadvertantly keeps the target alive with a backwash of his own power (akin to the transfer force power)
3) What happens next if the jedi is brought down to 0d in all 3 force skills? Does he then start losing force points?
Not unless the Sith rolls well enough to steal them.
3A) linked. Say he does start losing force points. Is it still at 2 leached points, 1 point earned by the sith?
I'd say one FP = 1 CP
3B) how quickly do they come back?
Same rate as powers do, unless spent of course.
3C) what happens if/when they get to 0 force points now??
Sith can maintain contact to retain his bonuses but cannot drain any further
4) how quickly should the stuff come back if the sith is killed?
Instantly but perhaps the target gets to make an alter roll to gain some of the essence of the Sith, this would be a few points in force stats but possibly also a DSP
5) since by the RAW when a force user gets wounded (or worse) all kept up force powers drop, that means this will also drop. BUT if right after (Next round) the sith brings it back up on the same target, do they 'keep what has been sinked/leeched? Or does it start back at 0?
For ease of use I'd say reconnecting to the same target after a broken connection makes the difficulty one level higher for every round the previous contact was maintained as the target has much less force potential to be syphoned. If for some reason the Sith really wanted to do it then I'd say it carries on where he left off.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For another Q..

Would a jedi being 'leeched' from know who it is? EG, Praxia the sith is seeing several jedi via cam feed (or just using enhanced vision from the rooftop a mile or so away)... will they know who/where he is?

Also, Es.. 1 and 2 were from the perspective of the SITH getting Ko'ed or killed..
EG would the powers rush back to the jedi, or still come back at norm speed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For another Q..

Would a jedi being 'leeched' from know who it is? EG, Praxia the sith is seeing several jedi via cam feed (or just using enhanced vision from the rooftop a mile or so away)... will they know who/where he is?

I would think so. A power like this would create a pretty strong disturbance in the Force, and that's something a group of Force sensitives would be able to detect pretty quickly.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking on it, i will actually make that a Q in its own thread..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
garhkal wrote:

In my mind

He is still being leeched from. A cunning sith may keep a Jedi foe on ice (or in stasis) to use as a battery in times of dire need (although a bad leech roll may awaken the battery)
I like this. It gives the bad guy a non-genre reason to keep heroes alive.
I like the idea that the death of the target has serious implications for the sith. Perhaps if the Sith breaks connection before the moment of death (control roll) he's OK but stunned but iff he attempts to hold on past death then he has to make a heroic alter roll success = keep what you have gained failure = either death or the connection collapses and the Sith inadvertantly keeps the target alive with a backwash of his own power (akin to the transfer force power)
I like this too. Again it gives the villain a reason not to make his life easier by just killing his victim and a penalty if he let's the draining go too far.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool power. Feels a bit like a development of Drain Life Essence, but focused on one person. I like it.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
Cool power...I like it.

Looking at your avatar while reading your comment is kind of...creepy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its been several months, so i wanted to ask a few more q.s

Would the alter roll each round this power is maintained happen at the beginning of the round, at the end, or on the sith's initiative?

Would it count as an action?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this power back up for more thoughts.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Doesn't the Derriphan have a similar power? Basically something about feeding off the Force to sustain itself?

That might be a good comparison to what you're proposing.

Just stumbled across the Derriphan while thumbing through Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy. This comment really should've gotten more attention at the time, considering the parallels between g's proposal and what the Derriphan does to its victims. If you're looking for a truly nasty evil to throw at your high-level PCs, check out pgs. 85-88 of Wretched Hives.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look them up.. THEY ARE NAASSSSTTTTYYYYYY! And yes, it does seem my idea for this power, is similar to what these beasties do...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the OP, perhaps "Force Siphon" would be a better title. One of the definitions of Siphon is "draw off or transfer over a period of time, especially illegally or unfairly."

EDIT: Also, g, did you ever check out the Force Vampire in the Polyhedron article archive?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siphon, is a better name...

OK. 2nd re-write.

Force Siphon.
This nasty and parasitical force power used back in the hey day of the sith empire, mimics the natural ability of the sith like beast known as the Derriphan (Wrenched hives of scum and villainy, page 86-89), allows a dark side force user, to slowly strip the force potential of a jedi (or other force user), like as if he was a energy sink.
Note: It is easier to use this power on Total strangers, than it is ;allies or friends/family.

He first must make contact ( via successfully activating this power) with the target, then each round he and the 'target' contest wills. If the Sith succeeds in that contest, he strips off some of the targets force power. Should the Target win 3 straight contests, the contact the sith had with him is lost.

IF the target is ever wounded while contact is maintained by the sith, he instantly loses that round of contesting wills, but if the Sith gets wounded while it is in effect, the power drops. If the wound level is mortal, he actually kicks out some of the stolen power back to the target jedi.

Leeching a target, can occur even if the target gets knocked out. BUT IF THE TARGET actually dies while the siphoning is going on, the dark sider must make an immediate Control roll of Heroic, OR he gets knocked out, due to the psychic backlash to him. IF he succeeds on that roll, he was able to drop the power just in time.

Initiating contact (some times called nesting)
Cont - Difficult (modified by proximity and Reversed relationship)
Sense - Difficult (modified by proximity and Reversed relationship)
Alter - Very difficult (modified by Proximity and Reversed relationship)

1FP must be spent. (IT is easier to use this power on Total strangers, than it is allies, friends or family!)

Contest of wills. (the Siphoning)
The Sith rolls his alter, while the target rolls his Control or perception (roll control, Till all dice are gone, THEN roll perception for force users).

Target = or above sith's total, he wins that round.
Sith = 1-5 over target. Target jedi loses 1 pip from 1 force skill (highest first)
6-10 over target. Target jedi loses 1 pip from the 2 highest force skills
11-15 over target. Target jedi loses 1 pip from all 3 force powers.
16-20 over target. Jedi loses 2 pips from all 3 force Skills
21-26 over target. Jedi loses 1d from all 3 force skills
27+ same as 21-26, but jedi also loses a force point.

The sith who is using this power gains 1pip to allocate as he see fit for every D stolen, and the bonus pip(s) stay for 1 round plus one round per 2 that contact was maintained with the target. So if a sith rolled in the +11 to 15 category, where he leeches one pip from each skill of the target, he'd gain +1 pip of his own choice and fif he had thie power maintained for 6 rounds he'd retain that bonus for 4 rounds (6/2 = 3, +1)..

If a force user is ever drained to zero dice in ALL three force skills, and the power is maintained after, it starts siphoning off his force points. The Sith needs to roll a 10+ on his control roll over the target, to suck a force point out this way.

IF The sith drains him again, ONCE the target has lost all force points, ANY ROLL over his 'perception resistance, WILL Kill the subject, and as mentioned above, this is BAD FOR THE SITH!.
Once a target's out of force skills AND force points, the Sith siphoning, can make a difficult Sense check, to detect this fact. Failure, means he will TRY TO siphon him for one more round, with the above risk of death to the subject.. IF he makes it, he can just cease doing the siphoning, and just maintain his link so what he's siphoned into himself keeps up.

Using the power does have its bad sides..
If at any time in the contest of wills, the Sith rolls a 1' on the wild die for his Alter roll, he immediately bleeds back 1d of stolen force potential to the target jedi. If he rolls all 1's on the alter roll, All of the stolen power bleeds back.

Once contact is lost, or the Sith maintaining it dies, the Jedi regains his 'stolen power' in one of two manners. 1st) An Alter roll by the target, (using his base skill, before it started being drained), at a Very difficult level, kicks back HALF of what he had siphoned off immediately. Failing this roll, just puts it to the 2nd manner.. He regains 1 pip on ONE power (his choice), per day or 3 points per two days of nothing but complete bed rest.

[i]IF the sith who used this power, has it drop, due to being wounded, IF HE MANAGES to regain his 'nesting' with the target, within ONE ROUND after, he maintains his siphoning link at where he was when the power dropped. IF he fails to regain it, he has to start again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: