The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Additional Scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Additional Scale Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also weighing with my two cents... Very Happy

I've given some thought to an additional scale, and though an excelent idea, I don't think I'll adopt it myself... but here's why:

Combat (pick your type Twisted Evil ) in the SW game has a very high mortality rate, if you play by the 2nd R&E rules. Especially ship combat, in my opinion, has a pretty high chance of taking out the whole party at once... I mean on botched dodge roll and BAM... the party is sucking vacuum.

In my campaign, the PC's cruise around onboard a freighter... a pretty standard start for many campaigns... one of the things keeping them safe (a relative term, anyway) from a Star Destroyer is the difference in scale. Take that away and the chance of "entire party death" goes up.

Just something to think about. I personally am still trying to find the nice balance point between challenging and deadly... and a couple of times already I've been a bit TO deadly 8)

~ phaedrus
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D20 the larger ships have a harder time hitting the smaller ships (sometime they can't target them at all), which gives the PC a breather
...until the squadron of Ties comes a screechings in Twisted Evil 8)

I just love the sound of Tie-Fighters (even thought there isin't supposed to be sound in space), I think it's one of their best sound for a ship yet. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple enough explanation. Been in Sci-Fi for a long time, and now they're finally using it in Air Forces.

The Sensor Systems in the craft detect the type of craft that is coming around, and make a sound that is similar, if not identical, to the one they make in atmosphere (Or an equivilent).

The noise moves as the ship does, and increases and decreases as it gets closer and farther away. It even imitates the Doppler Effect to make it seem as real as possible and get Insticts working for Pilots/Gunners.

Now, we can't do that yet in real life, but they now have "Surround Sound" Flight Helmets that tell the Fighter/Bomber Pilot *WHERE* the Missile that is tracking them is coming from for more responcive "Evasive Manouvers".

PS: Those on the board know that those last two words are the most dreaded comments to be made by me when flying a Starship or Airspeeder.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extend the scale changes to other sizes, like tanks and other vehicle sizes. I just tweak weapon codes to match firepower.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Additional Scale Reply with quote

Feyladil wrote:
Remember the scene in Episode IV where the Millenium Falcon was attacked by TIE-fighters? Those TIE's easily outmaneuvered Han's vessel!

Odd, I remember it the other way around. The Falcon, was zipping between asteroids, and nimbly evading, while the Ties were slamming into them, and each other. Seemed like Han was flying rings around them. Now, when they were out in the Open early on, Chewie was flying, not Han, and Chewie wasn't supposed to be the best pilot. Later in the fight, it only seemed like the fighters were outmanuevering him because there were so many, and they were all around him, but he was still avoiding them nicely.

As for the additional scale, I would have to agree with others, it throws off game balance. Besides, with the right weapons, and a little luck, a Starfighter CAN hurt a capital ship, just not a Star Destroyer. Star Destroyers are immense, even for Capital Ships. Check out the rules for interscale combat as presented in the Star Wars Rules Companion it may be more to your tastes. It presents rules for damaging weapons, engines, etc...
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could divide ships into parts, most of them having the same stats, but a few have a lower hull code, such as places that would be weak against fighter bombardment.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
You could divide ships into parts, most of them having the same stats, but a few have a lower hull code, such as places that would be weak against fighter bombardment.

Already addressed in the Star Wars Rules Companion. There is a special attack declaration where you can attack weak points on the hull (gaining a bonus to damage). It is a wonderful book. Also it breaks Capital Ship damage up, to represent the compartmentalized nature of Capital Ships vs Starfighters. Using the rules as presented in that book I have run some truly epic space combats.
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just up the shield rating by a die and the hull rating by 2 die to account for the durability of freighters I witnessed in games like TIE Fighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: