The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do YOU do with your wild die?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What do YOU do with your wild die? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always run the Wild Die as some others do...If it rolls a 1, I take away the Wild Die and the single highest other die rolled. If it rolls a 6, they get to roll again, with any additional 6s adding and allowing another roll. A 1 rolled on a subsequent roll from a 6 doesn't result in subtracting any dice.

I never assume that a 1 rolled automatically makes the effort a failure. It's very possible that a highly skilled person can still succeed even when they roll a 1 on the Wild Die. If the roll is so horrible that the result is 3 or less, and at least 2 levels below the difficulty I set for the roll. So if I decided the difficulty of the task is 28, and the roll of 5D resulted in a Yahtzee roll of five 1s, the total on the die roll would be 3. (wild die removed and highest other single die removed...which happens to be a one). This is a very, very low roll, and at least two difficulty levels below what I set, so I would have something particularly unfortunate happen. It could be a snapping twig on a Sneak roll, or an additional blast door closing on a Security roll. Wink

Conversely, if a roll is very superior, at least 15 ABOVE the difficulty that I set, I will have a particularly fortunate event happen. That way there is something for the super good rolls as well.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that most people use the wild die as a critical failure/plot complication. I don't. Many times, if the roll meets the difficulty then they complete the task, but the issue gets complicated. Say for example, they are sneaking into a pirate base. One character gets a one on the wild die, but still meets the required difficulty. I would have them accidentally sneak into the wrong building or room... say... the trash compactor. Smile The plot is complicated, but te base is not alerted to the characters' presence. Or for example, the person is trying to dodge, and they get a one on the wild die. They're not automatically hit, they just may have jumped behind some large crates for cover. A second later, they realize the crates are marked "EXPLOSIVE!"

It adds some flavor without characters getting frustrated that their highly skilled characters can't do something simple like dodge Greedo's shot. Smile
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that cheshire, I think I'll start using it from now on.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Trask
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our games the wild die is applied in a method similar to a combination of RedFox and cheshire's systems.

On rolling a 1, the wild is rerolled. If it doesn't roll a 6 on the reroll then it is just removed and the rest counted. If it does come up a 6 then if the rest of the dice are enough to be a success then it's a complicated succes rather than a botch if it fails. Dice which tend to roll 1 are thus not such a problem.

Recently my character got a 1 then a 6 on a first-aid roll on a mortally wounded PC. I was strongly advised to spend character points for extra dice and now the wounded PC is up and about just fine and carries an oxygen mask for those times when the lung damage makes him short of breath.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the reroll and add to for 6's, and a 1 either means subtract the highest die and the wild die 1 or a complication/mishap, which I see is what most of you do also. Alot of times when the PC's buy stuff like an old cheap starship I'll have my own little list of complications for that ships systems based on how many 1's get rolled. I feel it really adds to something to the game, one of my guys decided his PC should learn some force abilities simply because of how many 6's he would get, he kept saying the force was on his side and I kept asking if his dice were loaded, the guy rolled so many 6's. Also there's nothing greater than that arogant guy with the 7D+ blaster skill that keeps getting 1's on the wild die. Twisted Evil

I deal with temptation by giving in...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i for one love the variations that come up with the wild die. As to the complaints it unduly hinders them... well everyone has their bad die days. And the gm has lots more people to roll for.....
As to what happens when a 1 occurs... Most of the time i just have it do as the book, the wild goes and so does the highest other die. But if i feel it helps out the story (or would be cool) i have a complication occur... Case and point. Last year, at gencon. One group was running through one of my modules, when they encountered a scout patrol (4 biker scouts and 4 stormies). They took out all the imps, and one player decided to snag one helmet. He reasoned if he could crack the encryption etc, he could listen in. Well, 2 straight comms rolls later, he gets a yazzi of 1's on BOTH rolls. SO i had it be a complication;.... he locked the com unit in transmit mode....

So he now is carrying around a headset with the comms locked open... they make their big plan to infiltrate the base.... and well i guess i will let your imagination take the rest.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its optional in our group, but i use it just to make it even more interesting, maybe thats why my characters have so many cybernetics......>_>,
1 ur screwed
6 awsome success roll again and add it all...

in our big campaign, our gm can think of 189764 ways to beat you witht he wild die.
but sometimes he takes a break and makes it really funny
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note. Say you are playing with force hunters, during a RoTE time frame game. Part of the hunters is if the jedi rolls over X they trigger the hunters coming after them. Would you allow a jedi player to NOT reroll a 6 on the wild so he does not trip that magic number?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: