The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A few more gming questions... Gaming cons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> A few more gming questions... Gaming cons...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: A few more gming questions... Gaming cons... Reply with quote

All related to con gaming.

When gming at a con, are you more lienient than you are at home, or the same?

Do you allow more in? I.E. you are running a rise of the empire campaign, so logically jedi are not that numerous. But you have 4 of the 6 people on your table who wish to play one. Do you ignore the setting rules/time frame (also applies to adnd for rangers and monks).

lets say you are running a premade module (like they used to make for WEG), and the party for what ever reason, do not get to the end when the time slot has expired. Do you still give out the CP for completion of it?

Someone has to leave the game in the middle of it. What do you do with his character???

The last 2 are more fitting for a poll, but i figured on putting them in here rather than making 2 more threads....

1) When gming. Are you?
A-an officate of a game
B- a story teller
C- a director of a film
D- a combination of the above
E- none of the above

2) While many will agree the players are the heroes, are you?
A- neutral in regards to them versus the npcs?
B- their biggest fans
C- neutral with slight favoritism towards the pcs
D- between b and c
E- cannot decide.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly encourage my players not to be a Jedi during that era. And if they didn't take the Hint, then i'd have them hunted so much it wouldn't be funny.

On the second question, i would give them partial CP. Afterall they did try.

1)D, i try to include it all

2)D again, the players are the Heroes, but i -have- to keep them busy, or they big headed. I personally love trying to kill them with only a few options out of the situation. They have to remember their recourses.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I GM at home my primary focus is story telling and character development. I don't mind killing characters so the player can do better next time. The one time I GM'd at a con my focus was story telling and intensity because there would be no next time. Nobody died so everyone left with a good memory.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I GMed at any sort of official convention, or in any official aspect. I try to be more open to players suggestions at conventions though, as this may be their first experience with said game and may either win over a new player, or drive them away. I will try to adapt the storry to fit unexpected characters in such a situation (Maybe having a Jedi Hunter pop up to purge the jedi). Generally though, when I used to run cons, I had a pre-made adventure with numerous pre-made characters for the players. If the time slot expired before finishing, I would still give out CP (as most cons I gamed were tournaments, and winning and losing was based on awards/cp) but would definately adjust the amount based on the fact that the game was incomplete. As for characters up and leaving in the middle of a con run game, since it is a one-shot, I take the first oportunity to dispose of the character so he doesn't get in the way; in a tournament situation, that player forfiets all CP.

1) Definately D. While I prefer to tell an elaborate storry, I do occasionally have to break and remind players of characters or world as a director might. I also have to officiate and interprate the rules for all in a fair and impartial manner.

2) Definately more towards A. Although the players characters are the primary focus of the game, every hero needs a great and memorable villain to compliment him. So I spend a lot of time developing the major NPCs and back story. In a major confrontation with a significant NPC (main villain) the dice stand as rolled, for good or bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: