The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where are the rules for learning/using advanced skills?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Where are the rules for learning/using advanced skills? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my list:

DEX
(A) Form 1-7
(A) Martial Arts (Melee Weapons-Powerful Strikes)
(A) Martial Arts (Melee Weapons -Multiple Strikes)
(A) Martial Arts (Melee Weapons - Generic)
(A) Sniping (shoot farther)
(A) Sharpshooting (called shots/more damage)
(A) CQB/Urban Fighting (More Damage at close and point blank range)

KNO
(A) Brainwashing (compromise memories; program behavior)
(A) Linguistics (Decipher any language, even computer languages or animal "languages" or secret languages such as lekku)
(A) Snipercraft (use "survival" while leaving no trace)

MEC
(A) Stunt Piloting/Driving (additional maneuvers as free actions)
(A) Dogfighting (maneuver and shoot as single action or get free maneuver actions)
(A) Hazard Flying (Negotiate an asteroid field etc)
(A) Signal Interception (Communicate stealthily, or spy on radio signals/electronic communication)

PER
(A) Interrogation (Increase the difficulty to opponent's con and willpower)

STR
(A) Martial Arts (Brawling - More damage)
(A) Martial Arts (Brawling - More attacks)
(A) Martial Arts (Generic)
(A) Acrobatics (maneuver/dodge while climbing/balancing etc)
(A) Bodybuilding (Increase resilience/application of force)

TECH
(A) Advanced Demolitions (minimize explosives used/deal extra damage)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrobatics is a standard skill under strength. It's in Han Solo & The Corporate Sector Handbook in one of the threads here at the pit discussed it.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Acrobatics is a standard skill under strength. It's in Han Solo & The Corporate Sector Handbook in one of the threads here at the pit discussed it.
This was different. I don't know where my old GM dug it up, but it was an advanced Dexterity skill with climbing/jumping as a prerequisite. (I know it's odd.) He didn't house rule any skills, but I don't know if it was unofficial and he just thought it was official. He got it from some big list of advanced skills back in the 90s.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the official descriptions, Form I of Lightsaber was more analogous to the normal Lightsaber skill, because it taught all the basics of lightsaber combat. All the other Forms were derived from Form I in some way or another.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman, did you know you already get extra damage via the demo skill? So that (A) skill is kind of pointless.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman, did you know you already get extra damage via the demo skill? So that (A) skill is kind of pointless.
I'd be inclined to use an Advanced skill related to demolitions as something that allows the character to design new types of explosives - like Chemistry or Chemical Engineering focused on things that go boom or to design structures to resist explosion - a cross between Architecture/Civil Engineering/Fortification.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The difference in difficulties is for something that falls under the purview of the A skill, e.g. like operating a Bacta Tank with or without (A) Medicine.

How would the difficulties be different? IF operating a Bacta Tank was a Moderate Medine task it would be on the same scale as everything else.

I can't think of a case where the difficulties would be lowered, only cases where the (A) skill might add to it's parent skill.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to find a reference, but I believe it says that there are some tasks that cannot even be attempted without an Advanced skill.

e.g. you cannot attempt to perform cybernetic replacement surgery with First Aid. Or, at least you can try, but you automatically fail, no matter how many dice you roll.

Same goes for Engineering. It's the difference between being an Auto Mechanic in a garage vs. an Automotive Engineer in a design lab.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
How would the difficulties be different? IF operating a Bacta Tank was a Moderate Medine task it would be on the same scale as everything else.

If you allow first aid to be used when operating a bacta tank, doing surgery, installing cyber parts, etc. Then the difference between a medic First Aid 5D and a medic with First Aid 5D and Medicine 1D is only 1D. It seems like for certain things the difference should be more than just the Medic's Medicine skill. Note that if it isn't a character with First Aid 7D and a Medic with First Aid 5D and Medicine 2D would have the exact same change to operate a bacta tank. And that seems off to me.

You could add a penalty modifier if the character does not have the Medicine skill - say -10 for operating a bacta tank and -20 for cybernetic surgery and assume failure is worse if you don't have Medicine.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Rerun 441 is correct and you can't use First Adi to operate a Bacta Tank. You use Medicine (only). First Aid is no help.

The only time the two skills get added are when a character is doing something covered under the basic skill, such as when someone with Medcine applies a medpac.

So there is no need (or reason for) two sets of difficulties.

BTW, if you were to allow advanced skills to be used with the basic skill, at a penalty, it sorta makes the advanced skill redundant. Why spend the time a CP to learn medicine if First Aid (at -1D or -D) will do? It is ususally easier to use the base skill 1D than to learn an advanced skill.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Based on the official descriptions, Form I of Lightsaber was more analogous to the normal Lightsaber skill, because it taught all the basics of lightsaber combat. All the other Forms were derived from Form I in some way or another.

True, true. But, sometimes, the "official" descriptions do nothing to enhance the fun. My version of Form 1 represents perfection of the fundamentals of lightsaber combat. I'll explain Form 1 here:

Obviously, the character adds his Form 1 dice to his lightsaber skill. He is also allowed to re-roll a single die per skill check on attacks, parries, deflections and re-direction of blaster bolts. He may re-roll a number of dice per round equal to his number of dice in the (A) skill, but no more than one die per skill check.

This way, the "maximum" potential of form 1 is the same as for using the regular skill, but the consistency of success is pushed up a bit. My idea for form 1 is essentially, practice makes perfect.

Last edited by Naaman on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

More to it than that:

This skill lets you set up demolitions in such a way as to make it look like the damage caused was not due to explosives or even set off the charge and have the structure remain standing for another several days before it collapses. For example, with regular demolitions, you could blow up a bridge using the minimum amount of charge necessary and cause the most amount of damage.

With the advanced skill, you could rig it so that the bridge still functions for a few days and gradually collapses or suddenly collapses or whatever. This way, you and your evidence will be long gone before anyone realizes their bridge is busted (they probably won't even suspect it was sabotaged).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
[
With the advanced skill, you could rig it so that the bridge still functions for a few days and gradually collapses or suddenly collapses or whatever. This way, you and your evidence will be long gone before anyone realizes their bridge is busted (they probably won't even suspect it was sabotaged).

How? Sorry but Demo is magic. If something is blown up, it will leave evidence. Even if something doesn't look like it blew up, people will investigate to find the cause of the falut and very quicky determine the truth. When a structure collaspes, peole just don't assume it was termites and move on.

While it is possible to partially destroy a structure so that it will collapse over time, it is very hard and unreliable, to do it, not to mention very, very stupid. It is virtually impossbile to get the kind of controlled, dealyed destruction. You'd need to set lots and lots of micro charges, and know the eaxt properties of the materials used and being destroyed (asif you would need to take samples and test them for strength). You'd also need exact enviromental control. Changes in humidty, pressure or temperature could radically alter your results. And if anything goes wrong, you got a partially on non-collasped targat that is too dangerous to go back into to finish off. You are much better off to delay the deonnation if you need to.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
I need to find a reference, but I believe it says that there are some tasks that cannot even be attempted without an Advanced skill.

e.g. you cannot attempt to perform cybernetic replacement surgery with First Aid. Or, at least you can try, but you automatically fail, no matter how many dice you roll.

Same goes for Engineering. It's the difference between being an Auto Mechanic in a garage vs. an Automotive Engineer in a design lab.

True.. Tasks i feel Medicine would work but you could not attempt with first aid (or auto fail)..
Replace limbs with cybernetics
Use clone vats to grow new tissue
Major operations such as repairing valves, or tumor removal
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Naaman wrote:
[

How? Sorry but Demo is magic. If something is blown up, it will leave evidence. Even if something doesn't look like it blew up, people will investigate to find the cause of the falut and very quicky determine the truth. When a structure collaspes, peole just don't assume it was termites and move on.

While it is possible to partially destroy a structure so that it will collapse over time, it is very hard and unreliable, to do it, not to mention very, very stupid. It is virtually impossbile to get the kind of controlled, dealyed destruction. You'd need to set lots and lots of micro charges, and know the eaxt properties of the materials used and being destroyed (asif you would need to take samples and test them for strength). You'd also need exact enviromental control. Changes in humidty, pressure or temperature could radically alter your results. And if anything goes wrong, you got a partially on non-collasped targat that is too dangerous to go back into to finish off. You are much better off to delay the deonnation if you need to.

My intent was not to write every skill the way I wrote it up in the house rule. I just wanted to give an idea of what was possible with the advanced skill vs with the regular skill. The (A) demo skill is more for covert operations and military type stuff where the operator needs the victim to (at least initially) draw a false conclusion (or, at least require a lengthy investigation to determine the cause).

Of course environmental factors will have an effect. You can't control the exact second that something will fall apart, but you can assess the environment, take them into consideration, and say "I can guarantee that the structure will not collapse for at least 36 hours, but it could last as long as 120 hours (and you actually expect it to last about 72 hours, given what you've deduced).

The sophistication of your enemy (are they brutish cave men, or advanced, high tech civilization?) will also limit how much you can "get away with" and for how long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: