The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character Creation & Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Knights of the Old Republic: Empire's End - Guardian_A -> Character Creation & Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Character Creation & Discussion Reply with quote

Ok guys, it looks like we are set to go!

First: New players are still welcome!

Characters should be built with 2nd R&E using the following:
Attribute Dice: 18D
Skill Dice: 15D
Characters will be allowed to add up to 3D in any single skill.
Please, no more than two Force users/sensitives in the group
You may either use an existing template, or create your own.

If you have questions, ask!

The game will be picking up shortly after the Army of Light breaks through the blockade over Ruusan. The characters would have been with the Sith fleet.

Once we have a couple of complete characters, I'll start a Cantina thread for In-Character/Out-of-Game conversation until everyone is ready to play.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yinan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the second post was an accident? ^^

I'm just gonna c&p what i wrote in the other thread for starterst and add some things later then ^^.

-----------------------------------------------------

He startet out as a Mercenary in a Team he could trust, where he was the Demolition Expert (so he'll deal with demolition and will probably be throwing Granades and such).
On one Mission, there were some unforseen circumstances (havn't thought that through yet) and except for him, everyone on the Team died. That lead him to completely seal off all of his emotions. After that event, he would do everything to "get the job done", no matter what, but without being cruel or anything like that, he simply executes a mission as flawless as possible.
One of the Sith realized that he was force-sensetive and decided to put him into the Sith Academy. Unfortunately (for the Sith) he didn't bring the results they wanted, since he sealed away his emotions, so he couldn't bring out any of the rage or anger that kinda defined the sith and the dark side. So he only learned the basics really and what complemented his skill with all kind of explosions. He then "dropped out of Academy", but since he was still very useful for the Sith-Army, they kept him...

-------------------------------------------------

That's just some first thoughts on the Character, basically he will have high Demolition and Granade throwing Skill. I would like to have with him some control and alter for force skills and Concentration and Telekinesis for force Powers (setting up explosives with telekinesis at difficult to reach places).

Planned skilling
Force: something around 3D/2D/1D for alter/control/sense. Maybe i'll omit sense (and use the dice for another attribute), haven't decided yet.
Dexterity: Well, he'll probably get 1D in Lightsabre (maybe even only +1 or +2, because it's just for the basic training he received). Might get 1D or 2D for Blasters for using some kind of Sniper Blaster (if the trigger for the demolition doesn't work, a precise blaster-shot should do the job ^^) and of course ~2D for Grenade.
Knowledge: Probably just a little in Streetwise (finding a good location to put the explosives or something like that... but that might be covered by perception...), and maybe a little in surviving, would be fitting for a former freelance merc
Mechanical: Probably nothing here...Maybe repulsorlift operation, but that would be all
Perception: Maybe a little bargain (i will have to get the Detonite from someone ^^), definitely hiding (walking around with Thermal Detonators and the like in plain sight might not be a good idea ^^), and maybe a little sneak
Strength: Well, probably need a little in climbing/jumping (putting Explosives under a bridge or something like that comes to mind).
Technical: definitely 2D in Demolitions (he's supposed to be a Demolitions-Expert ^^). Then Maybe something like Chemistry or "Explosive Building" to create my own Grenades and explosives... it's not listed, so we might have to talk about if thats possible or not...

WW's AWOL idea would be fitting and could be even combined with JS' background about going away with a Merc group to train his command skill..., that might be our group. Seeing as the Sith are destroyed, we decide to not go back and do our own thing... or something like that ^^

But i have three more questions:
1. Are we supposed to be "evil" or something (since we're Sith or associated with them ^^)? Or can we decide on our own what we're gonna be?
2. Do we change to NPCs when we fail our Darkpoints check? Since we're supposed to be Sith (or at least were affiliated with them untuil the beginning of the campaign) we would probably all have som Dark Points, and especially for the force users that would be a problem (but thats also the reason y i think that we will not be NPCs then, would be strange for that kind of campaign setup).
3. How do we determine the starting number of Force Powers? ^^

Edit:
On another note, my character doesn't have to be force-sensitive (although i would like him to be a force user), so, seeing as Guardian only wants a max of 2 force sensitive players, i could step away from being force sensitive, it's not that important for the character-konzept (i juste love supernatural powers Razz but i didn't wanted to go with a generic sith ^^)
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinan wrote:
i guess the second post was an accident? ^^

Yeah, got a little click-happy and wasnt looking at which thread I was posting in. Wink
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting out as AWOL isnt going to fit with how the game will be starting. The characters would have taken part in the battle between the Army of Light and the Sith blockade above Ruusan. In the aftermath, they may have started making plans to depart though, . . .

Keep in mind that I have made a couple of small changes the the "Starting" character rules for this campaign. You have 15 skill dice to make use of, and you can put up to 3D in a single skill.

Instead of Explosives Building, how about we go with "Engineering: Explosives."

1. No, you guys do not have to be evil. A lot of people serving with the Sith army are Mercenaries (Greedy), or individuals who were drafted against their will, or they joined beleaving the Sith Propoganda about needing to protect their families & homes from the oppressive Republic, . . .

2. Dark Side Points. No, you will not loose your characters if you gain too many DSPs. The only reason I can forsee a player loosing their character in this way is if there is some serious conflict between the PCs as a result of one PCs actions.

3. Starting Force Powers. 1D = 1 Power, each +1 after that = 1 Power. So a character with Control at 2D would have 4 starting powers.
Yinan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the game will start during the end of the Ruusan campaign (still in battle)?

and yeah, "Engineering: Explosives" sound good (i'm not good with finding good descreptive but short names for something like skills ^ ^)

Ah ok, didn't see that it was 3D starting, but well, it was just some initial ideas anyway ^^
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinan wrote:
So the game will start during the end of the Ruusan campaign (still in battle)?

Yes, it will be picking up at the end of the Russan campaign. The battle in space will be over, and the events on the planet will be coming to their climax.

My original thought was to start a few days after the Ruusan campaign ends, but I had an idea and decided to run with it instead, . . .

Yinan wrote:
and yeah, "Engineering: Explosives" sound good (i'm not good with finding good descreptive but short names for something like skills ^ ^)

Yeah, I had to think about that one for a moment too.

Yinan wrote:
Ah ok, didn't see that it was 3D starting, but well, it was just some initial ideas anyway ^^

No problems. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! It sounds like an interesting character.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guardian, a couple more questions as I put a character together:

- Will we be starting with a ship? If not, is a pilot going to come in handy or would it be more beneficial to put dice elsewhere?

- Are you thinking about a starting amount of money for us to start with for equipment? Is there a source anywhere that lists common equipment for that era?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be starting with a ship? Not exactly. The group will have a ship available to them early in the story though. So yes, a pilot will come in handy.

Starting finances & gear? So long as you are reasonable with your choices, it should be fine. Make a list of the gear you want, I'll look it over and let you know if I see any potential problems. Anything in the Tales of the Jedi guide should work fine. Also the gear on p32-40 on the following link should be fine too: http://d6holocron.com/downloads/books/RP_SagaConversion_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_Campaign_Guide.pdf
Yinan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw. sorry Guarian, won't be able to think about this till next week (to much to do) so i won't be posting here for some more time... (until around Wednesday or so...)
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats ok, I figure its going to take everyone at least a week to get their characters put together anyway, so it shouldnt be too big of a deal if you cant get started for another day or two.
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got a greenlight to throw my name in as well. I'd like to actually like to play a smuggler (looking to use the "Classy Smuggler" template to build from. However, just to assure Wookie I'm not stepping on his character, although he is a pilot, he's not a very good one, so he's better in a supporting role when it comes to piloting. I actually am looking to concentrate more on perception based skills (Bargain, Con, etc.)

I'm looking at making him a little bit more on the "good guy" side of the spectrum, but taking a number of contracts for the Sith supplementing military transports and cargo ships, and actually being shot down and forced to use an escape pod, making him recently shipless (quite the heartbreak losing his ship.)

The other thing I would like to get cleared, is I'm interested in owning a T3 utility droid. (I haven't played KoTR, I know, what a crime, so I don't know much about them other than what I found in the Saga conversion PDF and a quick check of wookiepedia. I was looking for a droid companion to see if I could get it cleared, and T3 models remind me of a pet dog, which is how I see him treating it, even though it's probably smarter than he is, and as good of a pilot. If you don't want a droid NPC to worry about, I understand.

Other players, let me know if this is a poor fit, and Guardian, let me know if this is out of line. (Just so you know my current plan on gear was taking gear from the template, then spending some of the 5k the template has for an upgrade and the droid.)
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaloth Varsk wrote:
Ok, I got a greenlight to throw my name in as well. I'd like to actually like to play a smuggler (looking to use the "Classy Smuggler" template to build from. However, just to assure Wookie I'm not stepping on his character, although he is a pilot, he's not a very good one, so he's better in a supporting role when it comes to piloting. I actually am looking to concentrate more on perception based skills (Bargain, Con, etc.)

I'm looking at making him a little bit more on the "good guy" side of the spectrum, but taking a number of contracts for the Sith supplementing military transports and cargo ships, and actually being shot down and forced to use an escape pod, making him recently shipless (quite the heartbreak losing his ship.)

I think that'll work out just fine. We'll need a co-pilot anway, and having two guys in the cockpit will most likely be what we need. I was going to focus on piloting and dexterity skills and he probably will not be a "people person," so if your guy is good at wheeling and dealing, that will come in handy. My guy can just stand and nod and point a blaster while yours does the talking. Wink
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaloth Varsk wrote:

What about mechanical or technical? Each pick one to focus on so that in the event we have a ship, we will actually be able to fix and/or operate it?
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at making him be mediocre at best as a pilot (4D Astrogation, Space transport Pilot, and Starship gunnery) and absolutely an embarrassment as a mechanic (2D technical with no repair skills). If the droid gets approved, it would have 4d+2 space transport repair (in addition to also having 4D Space Transport piloting and Astrogation making the droid as good as my character in those areas.)

So as far as piloting goes, I'm likely best in a secondary role, meaning out of flying, calculating hyperspace jumps, firing, etc, you probably are going to be the one best, while I (and possibly the droid) are playing the less important roles. I see my character being more useful talking a good game than acting on it, although he isn't terrible flying or in a fight. Note, with terrible technical skills, I also plan to have the droid be poorly maintained and quirky, as I can't actually fix any problems unless it's really simple.

(I will point out that my first draft has no skill or specialty over 6D, and those 15 dice were spread over about 13 skills.)
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously not set in stone, because I want to make sure things fit, but here is the first draft of what I had written up. Decided since I'm already talking stats with people, I'd post that part too.

Darwin "Dar" Starlander
Player: Kaloth Vark
Template: Classy Smuggler (modified)
Species: Human
Sex: Male Age: 37
Height: 1.85 m Weight: 84.5k
Physical Description: Darwin's unkept black hair is just starting to show a touch of gray, a symptom of his highly stressful job working for the Sith. He hasn't shaved since his ship crashed, showing some beard growth. His unkept look actually clashes a bit with his wardrobe, which is actually quite expensive although it's becoming ragged and uncleaned after his crash. He walks with a bit of a limp from a past right leg injury that wasn't treated properly while he was on a past job, and his left hand (his dominant hand) shows slight signs of a blaster burn where a blaster power pack blew up in his hand.
Background: Trying to make it as an "honest trader" Dar turned to more dangerous and lucrative jobs working for the Sith government to keep up with loan payments on his ship. After a number of jobs smuggling weapons, transporting special ops, and other dangerous missions, he finally got his ship paid off, and planned to go back to the life of a trader after one more job. Unfortunately, that ended up being one job to many, what was supposed to be an easy supply drop to ground forces behind the lines, ended up with his ship shot down, and Dar and his droid T3-RT (Artee) barely getting out in an escape pod. Now Dar is stranded on planet without a ship, having only a couple weapons, his droid, and a few credits available in order to start all over again to build a living.
Personality: Usually somewhat suave and a smooth talker, Dar has become depressed and a bit more withdrawn with the destruction of his ship, and the loss of his life's savings. He tries to stay out of the rougher and darker side of smuggling and trading, but he seems to always get drawn in, whether it's debts, threats, or other means.
Objectives: To get a ship, and be able to live a simpler life as a rogue trader.
A Quote: "Artee, take the controls while I get the guns. Looks like we have company."

DEX 3D
Blaster 4D
Blaster: Heavy Blaster Pistol 5D

KNO 3D
Languages: Droid Binary 4D
Planetary Systems 4D
Streetwise 5D
Value 4D

MEC 3D
Space Transports 4D
Starship Gunnery 4D
Starship Gunnery: Laser Weapons 5D
Starship Shields 4D

PER 4D
Bargain 6D
Con 6D
Gambling 5D
Gambling: Pazaak 6D
Sneak: Urban 5D

STR 3D
Climbing/Jumping: Climbing 4D

TEC 2D

Equipment:
Heavy Blaster (with beam splitter (5D+2 dmg, -2 penalty to blaster roll)
Hold out Blaster (3D)
Expensive Clothes (Now worn and dirty, and only one outfit)
T3 Utility Droid (T3-RT - Artee)
50 Credits (standard for template is 5000, subtracted 250 to upgrade from blaster pistol to heavy blaster pistol, 1200 from template for hairsplitter, 3500 for T3 droid)
Set of Pazaak cards

T3-RT (AR-tee)
Type: Duwani Mechanical Products T3-series Utility Droid
DEX 2D+1
KNO1D+2
MEC 2D+2
Astrogation 4D, space transports 4D
PER 1DSTRENGTH 1D
TEC 2D+2
Computer programming/repair 4D+2, droid
programming 3D, droid repair 3D, space transport
repair 4D+2
Equipped With:
-Stun ray (4D stun damage)
-Electroshock probe (2D ion damage)
-Electric arc welder
-Fire extinguisher
-Video and auditory sensors (+2D to search, negates
darkness penalties)
-Holorecorder/projector
-Internal storage space (2 Kg)
-5 tool appendages
-4 wheeled magnetic feet
Move: 8
Size: 1 meter tall
Cost: 3,500 credits
Source: Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
(page 216)

Originally won by Darwin in a game of Pazaak, this droid has been Dar's companion ever since. Dar treats the droid almost like a pet, even though the ship is really his co-pilot, and the one who maintains the ship. Dar only has a little bit of a grasp of what the droid is saying at any time. Dar also has no skill whatsoever at repairing, programming, or maintaining the droid, so Artee is worse for the wear because of it. He has never had a memory wipe since Dar has owned him, so his stubborn personality has gotten to develop unrestrained. His left forwards leg needs maintenance, and has a slight wobble to it as he roles, and a whining screech to it when he raises up or lowers his body. The lights on his head begin to flicker slightly, whenever he connects with a computer or ship, as power gets diverted to the task. Lastly, his holoprojector always has a bit of static to it.

Additional Background (as I read setting info):

Frequest Supplier to the system of Korriban for a Sith training academy.

Battle of Hapori -
Smuggled a group of commandos on planet, where they took out some of the defenses of a Duros Colony.

1st and 2nd Battle of Ruusan -
Not part of the actual battle, but after the battle, spent a lot of time moving supplies to the surface to build the Sith Garrison, navigating through wreckage. In between runs, he took the time to salvage equipment from the wrecked ships, using the salvage to use as upgrades, or sell or trade to get technicians to repair and install those upgrades. Was able to recover a number of Aurek heavy laser cannons and proton torpedo launchers, as well as projectil weapons from Buzzards.

7th Battle of Ruusan -
Was enroute to deliver medical supplies to the garrison. Was intercepted in orbit during the early stages of the battle and shot down. Had to use an escape pod with his droid, abandoning his ship. Crashed down in an uncivilized area outside the conflict, and had to work his way towards civilized areas on foot.

Last edited by Kaloth Varsk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 7 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Knights of the Old Republic: Empire's End - Guardian_A All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: