The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do you rank Jedi??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How do you rank Jedi?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So do you have 2 separate trials.. one to go from padawan to knight, one from knight to master?

One trial from Padawan to Knight but the trial has five components: Skill, Courage, Flesh, Spirit, and Insight.

As I said, to go from Knight to Master you would need:

(a) to training a Padawan who successfully advances to Knight. This migh require the approval of the Jedi Council as well - especially in an Era like the prequel time period where power in the Order seems centralized within the Council.

or

(b) a level of accomplishment in the Force (whatever that means) that is recognized by the other Masters (which in a rigid interpretation Era would again require formal approval by the Jedi Council).

And Kira, I think Luke would reallly want to recruit your character to the Praxeum.
Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bren for that, yeah, well starting out as Specforce Sniper, developing Force powers after her husband died leaving her to raise two twins, and fighting through the last part of Return of the Jedi to nearing were we are now has been fun.

So i'm thinking with what others are saying, with Lukes academy, it would be more on accomplishments, understanding of the Force, your CSA level to be regarded as a Master, instead of the past training a Padawan and reaching a combined CSA of roughly 7D+.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spec force sniper being a force sensitive/user? Whoda thunk!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I base my ranking of both PC and NPC jedi alike on the guidleines presented in the Universal Skill Comparison Chart, found in many D6 books. This chart lists a level of 3D as an average level of training for a human, and 4D as a proffessional skill level, while levels at 6D and above are described as "best in..." which implies some degree of mastery of the skill. Given that I rate Jedi's as follows:
• <3D in each Control, Sense, Alter = Apprentice/Student
•3D-5D in each Control, Sense, Alter = Knight
•6D+ in each Control, Sense, Alter = Master
Though this is for aproximate equivalent skill level. To actually earn the title, as Bren and others have said, I require characters to undergo tests and tasks - completion of which earns them one step closer to the next level, failure indicating whether more training is needed (and my tests and tasks very wildly based on the personality of the Jedi teaching the student).

I also use the chart as a guideline for other NPC skills. While some may think these numbers are low, I assure you, a Jedi with 5D in each skill can do much and be a handful. Any characters above those codes have either been playing for a long time, or are very important and powerful NPCs.

Additionally, using the chart as a guide, and based off experience in other game systems, I have made the following a permanent house rule I use:

3D is considered profficient in a skill. Any skill which a character has attained 3D or more in can perform rudimentary or mundane tasks (Very Easy to Easy Difficulty Level) without the need for a skill roll, provided the character is not under stress, duress, distracted, or that situational modifiers apply, and that said task is not a critical point in the adventure or plot. This is at the GM's discretion.

Thisd rule was implement to cut down on the Rolling in Role Playing.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Given that I rate Jedi's as follows:
• <3D in each Control, Sense, Alter = Apprentice/Student
•3D-5D in each Control, Sense, Alter = Knight
•6D+ in each Control, Sense, Alter = Master
Given that 4D is professional, 3D seems too low for a Jedi Knight.

KageRyu wrote:
3D is considered profficient in a skill. Any skill which a character has attained 3D or more in can perform rudimentary or mundane tasks (Very Easy to Easy Difficulty Level) without the need for a skill roll, provided the character is not under stress, duress, distracted, or that situational modifiers apply, and that said task is not a critical point in the adventure or plot. This is at the GM's discretion.
I like the concept, but I'd use 4D rather than 3D as the threshold.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I like the concept, but I'd use 4D rather than 3D as the threshold.

I simply took the descriptions from existing D6 material. I see no issue with 3D being a Jedi Knight if they pass the tests - though not a powerful one.
For the skill tests, given 3D is profficient, I found it more adequate as the threshold, as not everyone needs to be proffesional level or should be to be able to perform routine taks with a skill. For example, not everyone who has a drivers liscense can drive at a proffessional level, but they can drive in mundane situations easy enough - which is how I interpret the difference between profficient (3D) and Proffessional (4D). Though I explain the why's and how's better in my skill use catalog. It is not meant to avoid critical tasks for adventures - but to avoid needless rolling for tasks that are mundane or routine that come up.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I don't usually require people with 3D repulsorlift operations to make a roll when driving along in their lane under normal conditions.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Jedi Ranking Reply with quote

I usually rank Jedi just below Munchkins in my campaigns, since most of my previous campaigns were set in OT time period normally Jedi classes weren't used.

And I shall defeat them with a 5D+2 Rubber Chicken!![/i]
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet assigned a die code to the ranks as the ranks seemed more about enlightenment than force power. I know this is a game with stats but I have not seen anywhere that says in order to gain rank in the jedi you have to be able to use the force so well. It seems you have to have wisdom and understanding. The power is suppose to follow that I think. But I think I would tend to agree that a knight would be ranked as a prfessional force user in at least two trees.
Jerrod Owex
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard one for me to weigh in on. I have little experience with the d6 system. But if i had to break the "ranking" into die codes i would probably use something close to what most of the others have posted.

But to be honest i would look more at what the character does when than what the die codes are on their sheet, good roleplaying should surpass all else in my opinion.

As for official things on Jedi "ranks" someone had something posted that resembles what I've read either online or in one of the gaming books somewhere.
Jerrod Owex
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you rank Jedi?? Reply with quote

Kira Firestorm wrote:
Okay so I've looked at varies sights and found one were they made stats for most of the known or seen Jedi in all the movies or Clone Wars series.

Could you post a link to the site, I'd like to check it out too. Really hoping to get into the d6 system rules for star wars.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 4D is enough for a Jedi Knight. Most Force powers have spme tough difficulties, and MAPs are common. I think a Jedi needs 5-6D just to be able to get the Force powers to function reliably.

Lightsaber Combat is a good benchmark. A character needs 3-4D just to raise the power under combat conditions and that is also about the point where the power becomes a viable defense.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is see that so as well. Force Powers only become barely usable once you get to 3D or 4D. Most Force Powers are completely useless before that. So I would say that you have to at least 15D in CSA, while at least two trees have to be at 5D or higher, in order to qualify as a Jedi Knight. And I probably would set the Benchmark even higher, because the difficultys are so hight with a lot of powers (mostly thanks to the Relationship Modifier, which makes most Sense powers completely useless before hitting 7D or more in Sense -.-).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though he's struggled a bit since being recovered (frozen for millenia in the ice), our Jedi Knight is more in the 3D-4D range. It makes some things tough to accomplish, but overall he's been able to do a lot.

I kind of like that he doesn't have the ability to outclass everyone else, but - as Jerrod said - good role-playing is key. And I find that this player - who doesn't play him as a combat monster at all, but rather is contemplative, reflective, wise, slow to anger, shows mercy, etc. - does a great job playing him as an actual Jedi, which has plenty of its own limitations and established boundaries.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
Is see that so as well. Force Powers only become barely usable once you get to 3D or 4D. Most Force Powers are completely useless before that. So I would say that you have to at least 15D in CSA, while at least two trees have to be at 5D or higher, in order to qualify as a Jedi Knight. And I probably would set the Benchmark even higher, because the difficultys are so hight with a lot of powers (mostly thanks to the Relationship Modifier, which makes most Sense powers completely useless before hitting 7D or more in Sense -.-).

That's especially true if your playing an alien force user, since most of the people you are using your powers on are more than likely going to be human.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: